Shopping Discussion

Think any eReaders will be on sale - specifically Kobo or Kindle?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2010 9:52 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 24, 2008
128 posts
3 upvotes

Think any eReaders will be on sale - specifically Kobo or Kindle?

As the title mentions, does anyone think Amazon or Chapters/Indigo will put their eReaders on sale? I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sony eReader on sale at BB or FS but I'm curious about the Kobo or Kindle.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
78 upvotes
big_canuck wrote: As the title mentions, does anyone think Amazon or Chapters/Indigo will put their eReaders on sale? I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sony eReader on sale at BB or FS but I'm curious about the Kobo or Kindle.

KOBO: maybe but it is overpriced as is
Kindle: nope...but I am not sure I would buy one....the failure rates are high and the customer service sucks (read the reviews at amazon) AND no ePub support

check out nook, books can be bought for Canada it does ePub just like KOBO
Aug 24, 2004
69 posts
Kobo is in the walmart flyer for 124.

I love my kindle. Have a 3rd gen and wife has second gen. Both great.
Apr 15, 2010
10 posts
2 upvotes
Winnipeg
I was also going to get an eReader soon, but was actually looking at the sony's (either the 350 or 650). If anyone happens to remember the stores that had sony eReaders on sale last year and/or how much the discounts were I'd appreciate it.

I believe the original kobo only came out a bit before easter this year so I guess it would be a bit unpredictable. I did see the wifi kobo in the walmart flyer for $129 and that seems like a pretty decent deal if you were looking for one.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1843 posts
295 upvotes
db-8675309 wrote: Kobo is in the walmart flyer for 124.

I love my kindle. Have a 3rd gen and wife has second gen. Both great.

Where did you see the Wal Mart flyer with it that cheap? If it is I'm getting it for sure. Slick little device.
Apr 15, 2010
10 posts
2 upvotes
Winnipeg
sixteen12 wrote: Where did you see the Wal Mart flyer with it that cheap? If it is I'm getting it for sure. Slick little device.

http://www.walmart.ca/flyers

At the bottom left of the 4th page their "circular" flyer. Shows $128 for it. Probably what he meant.
Nov 21, 2008
732 posts
200 upvotes
stuntman wrote: KOBO: maybe but it is overpriced as is
Kindle: nope...but I am not sure I would buy one....the failure rates are high and the customer service sucks (read the reviews at amazon) AND no ePub support

I'm not sure if this is a troll post or not. The kobo can be had for extremely cheap. There may be a sale on it, but I cant imagine a huge one.
The kindle is the best priced and best reviewed ebook reader by a LARGE margin. It is in such demand, one cannot even buy them at this time in all of Canada.
Aug 27, 2010
47 posts
stuntman wrote: KOBO: maybe but it is overpriced as is

No ePub support does sucks but the Kindle DOES have Active Content. The quality control kinda blows (had to RMA twice), but the customer service has been incredibly helpful as well. The wifi version is totally worth getting. (3g is a waste of money on the Kindle imo... horrible browsing experience.)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
78 upvotes
sunnycnm5 wrote: I'm not sure if this is a troll post or not. The kobo can be had for extremely cheap. There may be a sale on it, but I cant imagine a huge one.
The kindle is the best priced and best reviewed ebook reader by a LARGE margin. It is in such demand, one cannot even buy them at this time in all of Canada.
lol.....'troll post or not'. Kobo is a full generation behind the competition and sells for $149 at chapters (someone saw it on sale for $124 at walmart). Kindle is $139 with wifi at full price. The nook $149. Sony is out there too.

The kindle has a lot of great things about it that are better than the competition but it is NOT the best 'reviewed ebook by a large margin' by anyone with technical savvy due to 2 major shortcomings: no ePub (do you know what ePub is?) and fragility. Any reviewers that overlook this are doing people a disservice.

SNGUYEN's statements are upfront and agreeable. He did not mention anything about fragility problems (so it works for him) and for anyone that just wants to buy books off of Amazon to read and can keep it safe it is a great unit (yes I have used it).

sm
Nov 21, 2008
732 posts
200 upvotes
stuntman wrote: lol.....'troll post or not'. Kobo is a full generation behind the competition and sells for $149 at chapters (someone saw it on sale for $124 at walmart). Kindle is $139 with wifi at full price. The nook $149. Sony is out there too.

The kindle has a lot of great things about it that are better than the competition but it is NOT the best 'reviewed ebook by a large margin' by anyone with technical savvy due to 2 major shortcomings: no ePub (do you know what ePub is?) and fragility. Any reviewers that overlook this are doing people a disservice.

SNGUYEN's statements are upfront and agreeable. He did not mention anything about fragility problems (so it works for him) and for anyone that just wants to buy books off of Amazon to read and can keep it safe it is a great unit (yes I have used it).

sm

anyone who is technically savvy knows what calibre is. The kindle 3 is the E-reader to get. It seems as if you had a bad experience, but what you are saying is by no means the majority view. Amazon has great customer service. Not that BN dois bad in that department or anything, but I think that is a completely unjustified criticism
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2232 posts
923 upvotes
Edmonton
I have the kindle 3, wife has the Sony 650. Build quality goes to the Sony, Kindle wins ops. No chancy of Kindle going on sale, just saw the 650 for $179 at SIG - - looks like it's sold out now.
Both are great readers - just pick your poison. (no biggy that the Sony has no WIFI)
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1622 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
Are you guys really that peeved about no ePub support on the Kindle? It literally takes > 1 min to convert from Calibre or an online site.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5485 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
browsing experience is bad on the kindle but I would still get it if you don't have a cell phone data plan. Its an quick way to check e-mail, news, etc... If your going to do extensive browsing on non-mobile sites, yes its going to be difficult and probably frustrating. On mobile sites its not too bad.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2232 posts
923 upvotes
Edmonton
killoverme wrote: browsing experience is bad on the kindle but I would still get it if you don't have a cell phone data plan. Its an quick way to check e-mail, news, etc... If your going to do extensive browsing on non-mobile sites, yes its going to be difficult and probably frustrating. On mobile sites its not too bad.
I'd just like to point out that NONE of these is designed to be a browser. They are e-book readers, if you want a browser by a netbook or an ipad.