Automotive

think I made a huge mistake on buying damaged car

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2019 2:17 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 21, 2019
1 posts

think I made a huge mistake on buying damaged car

I saw 2014 Volkswagen CC Sportsline with 24000km mileage from BC for $18k. very low mileage. I thought this would be okay to buy this with low mileage.

I gotta tell you, I essentially bought this.

I did a test drive and it was great. However, Carfax said this car has LEFT-FRONT-CORNER with amount of $8.6k 4 years ago, and it has $0 Claim with blank detail in 2018 April.

Also, it says Auction Announced As Accident Repair in 2018 May. so I am not too sure what it is about.

but Is this red flag to back out?

I made a deposit, and did all the paperworks, signed everywhere, gave my void check, but I feel something is very wrong about it even though I like the car. I drove 20 minutes on highway but it was just fine. Should I back out even though its pretty late moment? All I have left is to pick up the car next week after I call insurance and do the registration.

let me know how you guys think. I think the dealer will try not to give my money back unless I go file AMVIC complaint(not too sure if I would win). The worst case, I will lose my $1000 deposit. or I will try to drive this car till the scrap.

anyone has experience to drive CC or damaged car(but fixed)?
31 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
46288 posts
9304 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I know lots of people stay away from accident cars.
But i think they are okay only if

-there is a discount to reflect the accident history
-repAirs done properly
-no frame damage

http://www.vmrcanada.com/used-car/value ... en-cc.html

That seems a bit too high.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2006
2829 posts
2468 upvotes
Markham
I agree with UrbanPoet in that nothing wrong with accidented cars (within reason) if they had been properly repaired and no key damage to the frame, engine, and other critical components.

That said, for a Passat, $8k in damage seems a lot more than just a fender bender. Also, I think $18k is too much for a 2014, considering it’s been accidented.

You’d have to read your T&C. Sometimes you can get your deposit back. I would had suggested getting it independently inspected as well.

In my opinion though, in this case, I’d walk away unless they sweeten the pot and the car is inspected by a 3rd party.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29567 posts
15368 upvotes
Toronto
buying a car without due diligence ... hmm. You will just have to live with it, whether it's good or bad down the road.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54676 posts
19490 upvotes
I bought a 2002 Civic in July 2003 which I knew may have turtle because the spoiler on the trunk is gone and I see four holes and some shards of glass in the vent.

I was piss poor back then ( still am lol) but to date, still driving the POS and surprised to find out it can still get close to 15km per liter. Paint job and storage were so inadequate it started showing signs of rusting soon after the purchase.

If it's cosmetic damage and priced to sell, then, go for it.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2556 posts
611 upvotes
Ottawa
Buyers remorse. It’s normal.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4565 posts
3792 upvotes
Oakville, ON
@ $8,600 in damage flagged I wouldn’t sweat it now that you’re as far along as you are. That’s really a pretty minor repair bill.
Jr. Member
Mar 20, 2018
180 posts
112 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: @ $8,600 in damage flagged I wouldn’t sweat it now that you’re as far along as you are. That’s really a pretty minor repair bill.
$8.6000 is NOT a minor repair. Anything up to $2000-3000 would be.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1803 posts
902 upvotes
Alberta
stanleyinfrared wrote: $8.6000 is NOT a minor repair. Anything up to $2000-3000 would be.
It is MINOR. Pretty much anything this days will run the insurance company that much. It may be 2-3k IF you pay out of pocket, but if the shop knows insurance is covering it, they price easily doubles or triples.

This was from an accident last year in the winter. Dude took a left turn right into the side of my wife's car. This was $6800 to the insurance company. The rear wheel was never hit in this incident and all the damage was to the door and quarter panel

Image

When I bought this car for the wife, it had almost identical damage on the other side, which I paid out of pocket to bring to new shape. This repair cost me $1600 at a body shop, and they also repaired the front fender slight dent. Don't have good pictures but you can see the damage on the rear quarter panel and some on the door

Image

With all that being said, this was for an American car, with an import prices go up for parts alone. Would I spend $18k on a used Volkswagen that was in an accident...the answer is no, but I wouldn't spend $18k on a new Volkswagen, so I am not going to judge if it's a good deal or not.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
It is true about insurence repairs . The first thing the shop asks if youmare paying or insurence company . The approved places for insurence repairs must be rolling in money .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Sr. Member
Aug 25, 2005
827 posts
82 upvotes
If the dealer disclosed everything and you agreed, I'm not sure there's much you can do to cancel this deal.

A $0 dollar line item on the carfax could mean the accident was reported but for some reason not claimed through insurance -- i.e paid through another means for the repair.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
4563 posts
2078 upvotes
There is no point is arguing if the damage is MINOR or not,,, unless you know exactly what was damaged.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
46288 posts
9304 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
eblend wrote: It is MINOR. Pretty much anything this days will run the insurance company that much. It may be 2-3k IF you pay out of pocket, but if the shop knows insurance is covering it, they price easily doubles or triples.

This was from an accident last year in the winter. Dude took a left turn right into the side of my wife's car. This was $6800 to the insurance company. The rear wheel was never hit in this incident and all the damage was to the door and quarter panel

Image

When I bought this car for the wife, it had almost identical damage on the other side, which I paid out of pocket to bring to new shape. This repair cost me $1600 at a body shop, and they also repaired the front fender slight dent. Don't have good pictures but you can see the damage on the rear quarter panel and some on the door

Image

With all that being said, this was for an American car, with an import prices go up for parts alone. Would I spend $18k on a used Volkswagen that was in an accident...the answer is no, but I wouldn't spend $18k on a new Volkswagen, so I am not going to judge if it's a good deal or not.
Thats true...
In 2009 i had a 1994 toyota corolla super base model manual everything down to the roll up windows and no a/c... cheap car.
Someone backed into it while it was parked.
The driver side front and rear doors got dented in and scratched a bit.
Came up to $1300 for the repair. On a newer car in the same situation today would probably easily be triple the cost. Theres gotta be sensors somewhere in the side too... since side airbags are standard these days.
Sr. Member
Feb 25, 2004
518 posts
207 upvotes
The biggest concern I see is the $0 MVA from april 2018
there is a possibility that this car was totalled.
its not unheard of but quite odd to see a claim and then a month later the car is at auction.

could be a trade in
could be a write off
or possible lease return.

who owned the vehicle at the time of the $0 payout prior to going to auction?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10014 posts
9724 upvotes
Markham
I can chime in on this, as I actually helped a guy repair his NMS Passat that had front driver's side damage. The 2014 CC is basically an NMS Passat.

Total damage was around $9800 for that car as it hit a parking lot light pole. This included the following:

1. new bumper
2. new fender
3. new headlight
4. new radiator support
5. new engine mount
6. new intake housing and air ilter housing
7. a bunch of other plastic clips and stuff
8. coolant flush
9. alignment
10. misc small stuff

This cost almsot 10k, so yes just over >8k isn't terrible. What I will say later is that these weren't the only things that actually shoulda been repaired as he had to repair a few other things later. But you be the judge of that.

1. Turbo (covered under warranty)
2. Battery (3 years old, maybe just went)
3. Airbag control module (super expensive fix >$1000 and only VW can fix it)
4. Sway bar (covered under warranty)

So yeah, you can either experience similar, or maybe this was just how it is.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54676 posts
19490 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: I can chime in on this, as I actually helped a guy repair his NMS Passat that had front driver's side damage. The 2014 CC is basically an NMS Passat.

Total damage was around $9800 for that car as it hit a parking lot light pole. This included the following:

1. new bumper
2. new fender
3. new headlight
4. new radiator support
5. new engine mount
6. new intake housing and air ilter housing
7. a bunch of other plastic clips and stuff
8. coolant flush
9. alignment
10. misc small stuff

This cost almsot 10k, so yes just over >8k isn't terrible. What I will say later is that these weren't the only things that actually shoulda been repaired as he had to repair a few other things later. But you be the judge of that.

1. Turbo (covered under warranty)
2. Battery (3 years old, maybe just went)
3. Airbag control module (super expensive fix >$1000 and only VW can fix it)
4. Sway bar (covered under warranty)

So yeah, you can either experience similar, or maybe this was just how it is.
I'm glad I usually back into parking spots, especially the ones empty early morning because there's a post.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6745 posts
5499 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: @ $8,600 in damage flagged I wouldn’t sweat it now that you’re as far along as you are. That’s really a pretty minor repair bill.
Yeah. $8600 is really nothing. I had a similar accident 20 years ago with and it was $6800. So that's basically the whole left front wheel, suspension, steering and CV joint and all the bits. The car is still driving fine and in my mechanic friend's hands. $8600 is nothing for a modern car.

But to me, it's psychological than logical when driving a car with damage history. And truth be told, i have OCD and I usually can't deal with it. Damage over $1K? Time for new car. :D
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 7, 2007
3822 posts
2188 upvotes
GTA
$8600 includes the labour cost at as well correct? You might be looking at $5000 in actual damage and $3600 in labour.
Member
Apr 27, 2009
261 posts
87 upvotes
West Vancouver
The last time I used carfax I paid extra to get icbc claims history, not sure if this is still the case or if you paid for icbc info. If not then you may not have complete accident history.

Also, more info on ownership history, where auctioned, what province you're in, vehicle ever registered outside of BC.

0$ claim could be a minor windshield claim or a major claim paid for by owner. You may want to get a body shop to inspect the vehicle.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
eblend wrote: It is MINOR. Pretty much anything this days will run the insurance company that much. It may be 2-3k IF you pay out of pocket, but if the shop knows insurance is covering it, they price easily doubles or triples.

This was from an accident last year in the winter. Dude took a left turn right into the side of my wife's car. This was $6800 to the insurance company. The rear wheel was never hit in this incident and all the damage was to the door and quarter panel

Image

When I bought this car for the wife, it had almost identical damage on the other side, which I paid out of pocket to bring to new shape. This repair cost me $1600 at a body shop, and they also repaired the front fender slight dent. Don't have good pictures but you can see the damage on the rear quarter panel and some on the door

Image

With all that being said, this was for an American car, with an import prices go up for parts alone. Would I spend $18k on a used Volkswagen that was in an accident...the answer is no, but I wouldn't spend $18k on a new Volkswagen, so I am not going to judge if it's a good deal or not.
What man buys his wife a Vibe ?

Top