Shopping Discussion

Think I've used uber eats for the first and only time

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 3:55 pm
[OP]
Member
Sep 5, 2017
454 posts
231 upvotes

Think I've used uber eats for the first and only time

Taxes, delivery fee, tip, *and* service fee? Really?? Good thing it's mother's day and we can't go anywhere... That's a little nutty. $50 for roughly $30-$35 of actual meals. Mom really wanted somewhere that wasn't on skip... But that's kinda crazy. Probably much more worth it with large crowds? But for 2 people you're paying alot this way

Sorry, just had to vent...
79 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3903 posts
1523 upvotes
The price of convenience

I always do the same order on Skip and Uber and see if it's different but more often than not it's pretty much the same, they just call the service charges something different.
Member
Apr 10, 2020
260 posts
986 upvotes
pawprints86 wrote: Taxes, delivery fee, tip, *and* service fee? Really?? Good thing it's mother's day and we can't go anywhere... That's a little nutty. $50 for roughly $30-$35 of actual meals. Mom really wanted somewhere that wasn't on skip... But that's kinda crazy. Probably much more worth it with large crowds? But for 2 people you're paying alot this way

Sorry, just had to vent...
This is why the best way to order food is to directly call the restaurant. Many of these food delivery services charge extra service and delivery fees. On top of that, Uber Eats take away 30% of the cost as commission from these restaurants, so they are forced to recoup the costs by hiking up the price of each dish. Don't forget the tip to the delivery guy as well. Once you add everything up, you end up paying a lot more.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8932 posts
4241 upvotes
Markham
GeneralStore wrote: This is why the best way to order food is to directly call the restaurant. Many of these food delivery services charge extra service and delivery fees. On top of that, Uber Eats take away 30% of the cost as commission from these restaurants, so they are forced to recoup the costs by hiking up the price of each dish. Don't forget the tip to the delivery guy as well. Once you add everything up, you end up paying a lot more.
But ubereat is really about delivery instead of ordering
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
5019 posts
2165 upvotes
If the fees are so high, why don't the restaurants hire their own drivers and provide good paying jobs to individuals in the community?

The reality is that costs of delivery have gone up and if restaurants charged customers appropriately, they would look just as bad as Uber Eats does to the person who started this thread.

Restaurants loved someone taking over the incremental costs of delivery so they could look innocent.

The old $2 tip doesn't really do much when costs today are nowhere near that.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15448 posts
16549 upvotes
Oakville
pawprints86 wrote: Taxes, delivery fee, tip, *and* service fee? Really?? Good thing it's mother's day and we can't go anywhere... That's a little nutty. $50 for roughly $30-$35 of actual meals. Mom really wanted somewhere that wasn't on skip... But that's kinda crazy. Probably much more worth it with large crowds? But for 2 people you're paying alot this way

Sorry, just had to vent...
Don't forget that they (and all delivery services I think) mark up the menu prices as well.

Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
18850 posts
6435 upvotes
Toronto
I love Uber Eats, especially when I can get Uber gift cards on sale and load up my account. Discounted delivery!

Restaurant specific, some restaurants are cheaper with different apps or are only on certain apps (I've seen this in favour of Uber before).
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
18850 posts
6435 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: But ubereat is really about delivery instead of ordering
Correct. I need someone to bring me the food.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Member
Jul 11, 2017
477 posts
418 upvotes
Well... I will say this, coming from the other side (I worked for Uber Eats as a delivery driver for a little while last year), I hated every moment of it (Not the people I delivered to), cause the pay definitely isn't great.. I know it's not meant to replace a real job, but I spent more time sitting around waiting for deliveries that I actually did deliver. In a REALLY good month, I think I could've pulled in maybe $600 (Not including the cost of gas), but then again, I know it can vary heavily depending on where you are delivering (In my case, St.Catharines, but not during heavy school season, I worked June to September while I was looking for a real job)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8932 posts
4241 upvotes
Markham
johnb56789 wrote: Well... I will say this, coming from the other side (I worked for Uber Eats as a delivery driver for a little while last year), I hated every moment of it (Not the people I delivered to), cause the pay definitely isn't great.. I know it's not meant to replace a real job, but I spent more time sitting around waiting for deliveries that I actually did deliver. In a REALLY good month, I think I could've pulled in maybe $600 (Not including the cost of gas), but then again, I know it can vary heavily depending on where you are delivering (In my case, St.Catharines, but not during heavy school season, I worked June to September while I was looking for a real job)
That's the part we should appreciate sharing economy : it gives people some opportunities getting money. Not a lot but something is better than nothing
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 1, 2001
5491 posts
588 upvotes
One restaurant I spoke to this week said that they save the smaller chickens for the orders that come through Doordash and other food delivery apps, while saving the larger chickens for people that call & place their order directly with them.
Member
Apr 10, 2020
260 posts
986 upvotes
smartie wrote: But ubereat is really about delivery instead of ordering
Yes I know that. Even though Uber Eats mainly deals with delivery, I'm saying that ordering through the restaurant is the best way to go. If someone is close to the restaurant they are ordering from and they have time to pick it up, it's more cost-effective to take out yourself instead of going through Uber Eats, Doordash, or another food delivery service. The convenience is an added cost to this entire process and you pay quite a lot for it. The only time I would actually need to use these services is when I am extremely busy at work and don't have time to pick it up or if I try to call the restaurant and they don't answer due to a flood of calls.
Sr. Member
Feb 5, 2007
630 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga
why cant you just call the actual restaurant and order delivery?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1286 upvotes
engineered wrote: Don't forget that they (and all delivery services I think) mark up the menu prices as well.


We do. Our menu items are anywhere from 20-28% higher on Uber compared to picking it up yourself. We wouldn't use Uber if we couldn't markup our prices seeing as how Uber takes 30%. Our best selling item is $10.20 with taxes in Store. Same item costs $13.05 on Uber before delivery fees. Some platforms don't allow an increase in pricing and others like Skip only allow 10% hence we only use Uber
Sr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
644 posts
372 upvotes
Ah yes the price of convenience. I think the last time I had delivery come to my house was 5 years ago. I honestly don't understand why its so popular. With 5 dollars worth of gas in a regular car you might be able to drive at least 50 km. Not to mention the time of waiting for your food is nothing because they'll tell you when its ready. Only time you are wasting is the time driving there and back. Ofcourse it gets more complicated for people who live or order from a restaurant downtown.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15448 posts
16549 upvotes
Oakville
HghSsociety wrote: We do. Our menu items are anywhere from 20-28% higher on Uber compared to picking it up yourself. We wouldn't use Uber if we couldn't markup our prices seeing as how Uber takes 30%. Our best selling item is $10.20 with taxes in Store. Same item costs $13.05 on Uber before delivery fees. Some platforms don't allow an increase in pricing and others like Skip only allow 10% hence we only use Uber
That's sleazy on uber's part so make their markup look like the normal food price. They shouldn't charge the restaurant and it should be added under delivery fees.
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
5730 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
leeoku wrote: why cant you just call the actual restaurant and order delivery?
Some places don't answer the phone or have it disconnected. I tried to get takeout from a local place the other day and they weren't answering calls. I had to actually go to the place and order in person. However, I could still order via the uber eats app. I tried to get bbt a couple of weeks back. They wouldn't take orders in person and were telling customers to order through the various food apps instead.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10816 posts
1962 upvotes
Toronto
GeneralStore wrote: This is why the best way to order food is to directly call the restaurant. Many of these food delivery services charge extra service and delivery fees. On top of that, Uber Eats take away 30% of the cost as commission from these restaurants, so they are forced to recoup the costs by hiking up the price of each dish. Don't forget the tip to the delivery guy as well. Once you add everything up, you end up paying a lot more.
Just a tip... Most people don't tip the delivery people.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 6, 2006
5239 posts
676 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: That's sleazy on uber's part so make their markup look like the normal food price. They shouldn't charge the restaurant and it should be added under delivery fees.
They are not the only ones that do this, several restaurants do. I am not sure if it has changed both Swiss Chalet and Pizza Nova did this at one time. The delivery price of each item was higher than the regular price. They weren't charging delivery fees but you were technically paying a delivery fee for each item not the entire order. It wasn't indicated anywhere on the receipt that you were paying anything extra. I remember Pizza Nova's receipt would say INCLUDED on the delivery line.

Top