Shopping Discussion

Think I've used uber eats for the first and only time

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 3:55 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12886 posts
4105 upvotes
But that's pretty stupid on the restaurant, they are literally destroying their own brand by doing that.

People that order via delivery apps likely won't goto that restaurant again.
Arrow wrote: One restaurant I spoke to this week said that they save the smaller chickens for the orders that come through Doordash and other food delivery apps, while saving the larger chickens for people that call & place their order directly with them.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12886 posts
4105 upvotes
Because time is money, it's not "$5 of worth gas". But more likely 30mins - 1 hour of your time.
Extrahard wrote: Ah yes the price of convenience. I think the last time I had delivery come to my house was 5 years ago. I honestly don't understand why its so popular. With 5 dollars worth of gas in a regular car you might be able to drive at least 50 km. Not to mention the time of waiting for your food is nothing because they'll tell you when its ready. Only time you are wasting is the time driving there and back. Ofcourse it gets more complicated for people who live or order from a restaurant downtown.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19704 posts
2434 upvotes
I love how people seem to think you should be able to have food ordered by an app and delivered right to your door and have neither the company developing and maintaining the app and running worldwide infrastructure to support it, nor the driver who is picking up the food and paying all of their own expenses (gas, insurance, time), make any money at all.

Who do you think should pay for all of this?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3078 posts
2137 upvotes
Canadia
pawprints86 wrote: Taxes, delivery fee, tip, *and* service fee? Really?? Good thing it's mother's day and we can't go anywhere... That's a little nutty. $50 for roughly $30-$35 of actual meals.
Order directly from the restaurant and pick up your own food. Most places have figured out their contactless pickup routines pretty well by now. Delivery apps charge 25-30% to the restaurant and (as you've discovered) tack on extra fees to scam the customer, too.

My favourite restaurant is giving a 15% discount for pick-up orders, so I save about $20 by going for a 15 minute drive. The restaurant does better as well -- when you're a regular at a little local place, they remember who supports them and go out of their way to keep you happy.
Apr 10, 2020
290 posts
1075 upvotes
brunes wrote: I love how people seem to think you should be able to have food ordered by an app and delivered right to your door and have neither the company developing and maintaining the app and running worldwide infrastructure to support it, nor the driver who is picking up the food and paying all of their own expenses (gas, insurance, time), make any money at all.

Agreed. Small businesses don't have the investment or time to hire delivery workers on the clock, which is why they had to resort to big companies like Uber Eats or Doordash in the first place. It gives them the opportunity to expand their range of business without the cost of hiring delivery workers and not fully utilizing them.

What makes me sad is that some people want the convenience, but are unwilling to pay for the costs of the service. As a result, delivery workers get the short end of the stick.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11830 posts
6891 upvotes
Markham
brunes wrote: I love how people seem to think you should be able to have food ordered by an app and delivered right to your door and have neither the company developing and maintaining the app and running worldwide infrastructure to support it, nor the driver who is picking up the food and paying all of their own expenses (gas, insurance, time), make any money at all.

Downtown elite will say "of course government "
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21395 upvotes
GTA
sexyj wrote: Because time is money, it's not "$5 of worth gas". But more likely 30mins - 1 hour of your time.
1 hour of time to pickup food? It take me 5-10 min to drive and pick up anything in reasonable distance. You don't go right away when you order, you go when they say it will be ready.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7659 posts
4570 upvotes
Mississauga
Used Uber Eats a couple of times for the novelty but yeah, I’d rather go pick up my food.
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2008
1056 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
delivery fee is waived for most restaurants now if spending more than $20. not everyone has a car and who wants to take the ttc across the city to pick up food?

i would rather pay the extra $5 on service fees than to waste my time going out plus spending the $6 on ttc.
Apr 10, 2020
290 posts
1075 upvotes
engineered wrote: 1 hour of time to pickup food? It take me 5-10 min to drive and pick up anything in reasonable distance. You don't go right away when you order, you go when they say it will be ready.
Exactly. They usually tell you how long it will take and you go pick it up. Generally it takes around 15 to 20 minutes for the food to be ready.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1569 upvotes
Scarborough
Roads are having less traffic so its easier than normal to go pickup if you have a car
If no vehicle, then no choice if you wanna order out.
Besides you’re not doing it everyday or all the time so think of it as an entertainment expense
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12886 posts
4105 upvotes
assuming you have no traffic and everything align in the universe for you. not to mention there may also be a line up at the pickup

you can even get pass two traffics lights in 5 minutes if you are in toronto or downtown of any big city.

LOL
engineered wrote: It take me 5-10 min to drive and pick up anything in reasonable distance.
Apr 10, 2020
290 posts
1075 upvotes
sexyj wrote: assuming you have no traffic and everything align in the universe for you. not to mention there may also be a line up at the pickup

you can even get pass two traffics lights in 5 minutes if you are in toronto or downtown of any big city.

LOL
You are referring to the downtown core. OP lives in Oakville. It's reasonable to say a 5 to 10-minute drive is possible in his area.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12886 posts
4105 upvotes
ok... so what you are implying is the Op's travel time equates to everyone's ?

GeneralStore wrote: You are referring to the downtown core. OP lives in Oakville. It's reasonable to say a 5 to 10-minute drive is possible in his area.
Apr 10, 2020
290 posts
1075 upvotes
sexyj wrote: ok... so what you are implying is the Op's travel time equates to everyone's ?
No, what I'm saying is that it is reasonable for most people that live in the suburbs. A 5 to 10-minute drive would not work in the downtown core, but then again not everyone lives in the centre.
Sep 16, 2015
566 posts
1127 upvotes
Calgary, AB
renoldman wrote: If the fees are so high, why don't the restaurants hire their own drivers and provide good paying jobs to individuals in the community?

The reality is that costs of delivery have gone up and if restaurants charged customers appropriately, they would look just as bad as Uber Eats does to the person who started this thread.
Most small restaurants don't do enough business to justify hiring a delivery driver. Just jump into your car and pick up the food. You'll get it faster and many restaurants give a pickup discount to make it worthwhile.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1680 upvotes
Toronto
ah, so I'm not the only one... I received a $25 Uber Eats gift card last week, so we decided to use it at one of our favourite restaurants we always (well, before COVID) order from. First time I've uber'd anything (haven't even uber'd a taxi before).

I was surprised as hell when I saw the final bill come up to $60 and that was WITH the $25 gift card applied, and we actually ordered LESS food than what we usually do; yet somehow it came out to a lot more.... and then to pay driver tip on top of that?! GTFOH.

The restaurant is literally down the street, and I would have saved myself a whole lot of money if I just ordered it my damn self.

Fool me once....

I promptly deleted all my info from the app, and uninstalled it from my phone after that. Never using uber eats again.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12886 posts
4105 upvotes
5-10 mins drive is not a reasonable timeframe in any city unless the restaurant is literally down the road from where you live
GeneralStore wrote: No, what I'm saying is that it is reasonable for most people that live in the suburbs. A 5 to 10-minute drive would not work in the downtown core, but then again not everyone lives in the centre.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6866 posts
2861 upvotes
Uber has a delivery fee, then a service fee, then a driver tip. Yea, it adds up fast, on top of that, Uber takes 30% from the restaurant. So for both the public (meaning you will save $ by avoiding all the Uber fees) & the restaurant (they get to keep more of the $ because they won't pay Uber 30%), if possible, order direct from the restaurant.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1569 upvotes
Scarborough
Before ubereats came, either u went there and picked it up, or took transit or walked
Now atleast people can enjoy any food/resto at home even if they dont have a ride or bus pass. I think these facility is great even if expensive at times. Specially in winter when its bad/cold weather and one doesn’t feel like going out