Shopping Discussion

Think I've used uber eats for the first and only time

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 3:55 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4568 posts
2095 upvotes
Repooc wrote: ah, so I'm not the only one... I received a $25 Uber Eats gift card last week, so we decided to use it at one of our favourite restaurants we always (well, before COVID) order from. First time I've uber'd anything (haven't even uber'd a taxi before).

I was surprised as hell when I saw the final bill come up to $60 and that was WITH the $25 gift card applied, and we actually ordered LESS food than what we usually do; yet somehow it came out to a lot more.... and then to pay driver tip on top of that?! GTFOH.

The restaurant is literally down the street, and I would have saved myself a whole lot of money if I just ordered it my damn self.

Fool me once....

I promptly deleted all my info from the app, and uninstalled it from my phone after that. Never using uber eats again.
They aren't trying to fool anyone, you pay a premium for convenience, of course it's cheaper if you go pick it up yourself ......
[OP]
Sep 5, 2017
473 posts
244 upvotes
So it's actually increased menu prices, and extra fees (service fee) that really is shady.

Skip does the same thing but more affordable. How are they able to make it so much more affordable? I've never compared actual menu costs between the 2, maybe should!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2013
2225 posts
1344 upvotes
Sarnia
Skip The Dishes is just as bad. Someone said they are more affordable but even with the introductory offer or whatever that I got for $5 off when my brother referred me and made an order at the same time it is not something I can afford to be doing on a regular basis. I am glad to see that McDonald's and some others are looking to treat all customers the same including people who don't have a car and are poor and it could have been done from the beginning. You can keep a safe distance while still ordering in store or through an app and honestly I hate seeing the app thing as some of us also have no need for a smartphone or can't afford it. During these times people need fun food and sorry but paying whopping fees to these delivery companies does not make it fun. Also note in Sarnia my mom was told that I could actually walk up to the window when they were not busy but have not tried it yet for fear of idiocy happening.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1674 posts
703 upvotes
GTA
Yes, an indian restaurant near me serves bigger portions when you order takeout vs uber. More rice and naan bread :)
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13852 posts
3020 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
A Vancouver restaurant is starting its own delivery app. If it is successful locally, they're hoping to expand it across Canada.

"FromTo has provided a transparent system at cost. We show the customer what it takes to get food to them, the restaurant can see every aspect of the delivery fee as well the credit card processing fees. The driver can see their fees transparently as well. We put all these parties together to aid in the collective survival of the restaurant industry. FromTo is taking no commission, no fees, nothing."
https://www.fromto.ca/

Article:
https://www.straight.com/food/vancouver ... -go-across
Banned
May 11, 2020
18 posts
4 upvotes
pawprints86 wrote: Taxes, delivery fee, tip, *and* service fee? Really?? Good thing it's mother's day and we can't go anywhere... That's a little nutty. $50 for roughly $30-$35 of actual meals. Mom really wanted somewhere that wasn't on skip... But that's kinda crazy. Probably much more worth it with large crowds? But for 2 people you're paying alot this way

Sorry, just had to vent...
Don't forget that the menu prices are generally higher on the apps than in the restaurants. I have avoided all these apps, the markup is insane and the convenience isn't worth it
May 18, 2018
690 posts
683 upvotes
I've never used any of these food delivery apps, honestly if the restaurant doesn't have its own drivers I will not be ordering delivery. I'll go pick it up instead.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11457 posts
96184 upvotes
Ontario
rabbit wrote: A Vancouver restaurant is starting its own delivery app. If it is successful locally, they're hoping to expand it across Canada.

"FromTo has provided a transparent system at cost. We show the customer what it takes to get food to them, the restaurant can see every aspect of the delivery fee as well the credit card processing fees. The driver can see their fees transparently as well. We put all these parties together to aid in the collective survival of the restaurant industry. FromTo is taking no commission, no fees, nothing."
https://www.fromto.ca/

Article:
https://www.straight.com/food/vancouver ... -go-across
$6 delivery fee for 1.8km.

Not worth it. The delivery charge is expensive and no discounts. Only within the downtown core
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Link: Costco West |May 2 - 29 | 182 pics| 1 month promo
Link:Costco West | May 2 - May 15 | 27 pics| Executive coupons
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11457 posts
96184 upvotes
Ontario
model3fan wrote: Don't forget that the menu prices are generally higher on the apps than in the restaurants. I have avoided all these apps, the markup is insane and the convenience isn't worth it
The markups are from the restaurant owners. They don't want to pay anything so they pass it on to their customers. I always try to avoid those restaurants.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1568 upvotes
Scarborough
ericlewis91 wrote: Yes, an indian restaurant near me serves bigger portions when you order takeout vs uber. More rice and naan bread :)
Where and which restaurant??
Mar 12, 2017
147 posts
76 upvotes
The fees suck I know. But couriers need to make their money for it to be worth their while to pick up and deliver the food for you. And the app company wants their cut as well. The food couriers I follow on YouTube who really hustle bang out more than 2 deliveries per hour on average. But it's impossible to do 3 deliveries per hour on a consistent basis. You can bang out some fast deliveries here or there but you can't keep that pace forever. Most couriers aren't that good at time management and make less than 2 deliveries per hour. Considering that couriers need to pay for gas, maintenance, increased premiums on their auto insurance (premiums are highway robbery in Southern Ontario. The Liberals and Tories have shown no willingness to regulate rates), double the CPP premiums and more than double the EI premiums (since they're independent contractors), they're making less than minimum wage if they make $7 per delivery. Even if they write off their gas, maintenance, repairs and auto insurance on their taxes. I'm not even sure if the CRA will let couriers write off auto insurance as an expense on their tax return. And the app wants their cut too right?

So in order for the courier to be making a living wage, you need to be paying far more than $7 per delivery on top of what it would cost you to pick up your own food. How many RFDers are going to want to pay $7 above takeout price? Not many. This business model is dead on arrival. You'd have to be desperate to work for UberEats, SkipTheDishes, DoorDash, etc. These companies usually scrape from the bottom of the barrel because the pay is so bad. And so customer service quality is poor as well. I just saw a post on r/skipthedishes where someone in Edmonton had to deal with a really shitty SkipTheDishes courier who gave them major attitude via text and left the bag curb-side near the street no where near the client's home. lmao.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13852 posts
3020 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
RE: https://www.fromto.ca/
Thatdealguy wrote: $6 delivery fee for 1.8km.
Not worth it. The delivery charge is expensive and no discounts. Only within the downtown core
Where are you getting this info from?
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13852 posts
3020 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Seems to be a flat fee. It showed $6 for me, too, although I'm by PNE. The "how we charge" page shows a 50/50 split for the $6 fee.
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11457 posts
96184 upvotes
Ontario
MikeNet wrote: Do a dummy checkout. I was quoted $6 too from Carrall St to Dunsmuir 1.7km away (downtown Vancouver).
rabbit wrote: Seems to be a flat fee. It showed $6 for me, too, although I'm by PNE. The "how we charge" page shows a 50/50 split for the $6 fee.
new company. charges more. very limited. not sure if they can keep our information safe from potential hackers.

no deal
Banned
May 20, 2020
464 posts
310 upvotes
City of Toronto
Foodzinga, an alternative to Uber Eats

New food delivery service hits streets of Winnipeg
Foodzinga provides low service fees, charging only seven per cent; some restaurants are able to reduce their delivery costs by up to 60 per cent by switching from their current third-party delivery partner to Foodzinga, according to Lolobrigida Jr.
New delivery service coming to Toronto will charge restaurants way less than Uber Eats
The app, which launched in Winnipeg last year, is making its move to Toronto in July. When it arrives, and all goes according to plan, it will have the lowest commission rates out of all the major delivery services.

According to its founder Daniel Lolobrigida, Foodzinga doesn't charge any sign-up fees, monthly or annual feels, or even cancellation fees.

And when it comes to commission rates, Foodzinga only charges 7 per cent across the board.

"We are trying to start a small revolution," says Lolobrigida.
Oct 12, 2008
135 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
PanchoVilla wrote: I've never used any of these food delivery apps, honestly if the restaurant doesn't have its own drivers I will not be ordering delivery. I'll go pick it up instead.
Uber Eats delivered an item that was not as described in the menu and refused to refund it.

After a number of tries I got an impression, that their customer service is fully automated robotic AI and not human, and it is programmed to reject any refund request by sending standard messages. So I sent them a message asking about this directly, and immediately got the same standard reply as before. From machine...

There is something else I thought about. By using those delivery apps you trust total strangers handling your food. Who are those people? Are they responsible, healthy and well, clean? I don't even start with Covid-19 related stuff like virus testing and wearing mask/gloves.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)