Feb 19, 2008
15241 posts
6059 upvotes
London

Think Geek firesale. Everything 1/2 off

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Thinkgeek.com
Think Geek will be going under becoming a limited presence at Gamestop on July 2nd.

Everything on their website is now half off.
20 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3217 posts
3130 upvotes
Montreal
Very sad.
They were really special in the good old days.
How far they've fallen....
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1292 posts
2836 upvotes
Sadly, when you sell products at twice what they are worth at your competitors, even if they are a bit of greater quality, this tend to happen :(
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 28, 2014
179 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, ON
all prices USD, no free shipping to canada
Apr 20, 2005
451 posts
212 upvotes
Last time I ordered from them, the brokerage fees were more than the order+shipping.
Dec 6, 2016
85 posts
198 upvotes
I have the same issue. $135 order becomes $130 with the '50%' off and shipping/duty charges applied. To put that another way, the conversion means I'd ultimately be spending $62 CAD for a single t-shirt that's $10 at 50% off.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1881 posts
2638 upvotes
100eyes wrote: Last time I ordered from them, the brokerage fees were more than the order+shipping.

Exactly. My wife ordered a $45 hoodie from them that after all fees ended up being about $100. I'm surprised they've lasted this long to be honest.
Apr 22, 2009
134 posts
26 upvotes
London
Everything I even bought from them broke and they were never much help trying to contact the manufacture to try and get stuff fixed.
Jan 18, 2019
120 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Damn $30 for shipping, USD conversion...This isn't too nice on the Canadian side.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1550 posts
1731 upvotes
PapaSteel wrote: I have the same issue. $135 order becomes $130 with the '50%' off and shipping/duty charges applied. To put that another way, the conversion means I'd ultimately be spending $62 CAD for a single t-shirt that's $10 at 50% off.
dtvibe wrote: Damn $30 for shipping, USD conversion...This isn't too nice on the Canadian side.

For some reason when I order something at $120 (before discount) it doesn't add duty and handling with the standard shipping.

If I order more. Standard shipping no longer become available and duty + tax for some reason add up to $60, plus express shipping is $30

So, it ends up being cheaper ordering 2 x $120 and pay shipping twice. You are not paying that extra $60. I am guessing that is the handling and duty came from. Which means they might be charging extra for the CBSA clearance.

I that case I would just order separately and follow https://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brok ... -avoid-it/ this guide here to avoid having them clear. Should work just fine.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1646 posts
1155 upvotes
Vancouver
They do not ship to PO boxes or parcel pick up locations. Their system will automatically cancel it if it's a recognized address. So unless you have a GameStop close to the border to pick up in store, I don't think it's worth the extra handling fees to get it shipped to Canada
Feb 4, 2007
692 posts
647 upvotes
Alivenate wrote: They do not ship to PO boxes or parcel pick up locations. Their system will automatically cancel it if it's a recognized address. So unless you have a GameStop close to the border to pick up in store, I don't think it's worth the extra handling fees to get it shipped to Canada
Why are they such assholes regarding this?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2007
1230 posts
831 upvotes
I have a $100 gift card for ThinkGeek. If anyone in Calgary or nearby wants it, I will take $75 cash.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1068 posts
328 upvotes
Montreal
Alivenate wrote: They do not ship to PO boxes or parcel pick up locations. Their system will automatically cancel it if it's a recognized address. So unless you have a GameStop close to the border to pick up in store, I don't think it's worth the extra handling fees to get it shipped to Canada
I had it shipped to a KINEK location without any problems
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10929 posts
8177 upvotes
Toronto
I only bought off Thinkgeek once or twice, the shipping is just ludicrous. Vat19 at least had sensible options to Canada.
Aug 22, 2012
504 posts
565 upvotes
100eyes wrote: Last time I ordered from them, the brokerage fees were more than the order+shipping.
Same. I ordered around 5 items last month, most under $3 and all under $10. The total was around $20? Got to the cart. Okay, $20 for shipping. I'm still in. Right, USD vs our monopoly money, so now it's $50 CAD. Still fair for the items!

The package gets delivered and the duty is almost $60. My jaw dropped. I pay it anyway because at this point I was excited to get the items and have already told my girlfriend something is coming and to not open it if she's the one to receive it.

I won't order from the US again if I can help it. Is this tax from the Canadian side, or US? If I had refused the package, would it be sent back and I would contact think geek for a refund? Would they be obligated to refund the shipping? First time I've been charged duty even though I've ordered from all over the world over the years. I was not happy paying over $100 for a few Tshirts and a calendar, no matter how cool they are!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8336 posts
1989 upvotes
Toronto
Enforcer22 wrote: Same. I ordered around 5 items last month, most under $3 and all under $10. The total was around $20? Got to the cart. Okay, $20 for shipping. I'm still in. Right, USD vs our monopoly money, so now it's $50 CAD. Still fair for the items!

The package gets delivered and the duty is almost $60. My jaw dropped. I pay it anyway because at this point I was excited to get the items and have already told my girlfriend something is coming and to not open it if she's the one to receive it.

I won't order from the US again if I can help it. Is this tax from the Canadian side, or US? If I had refused the package, would it be sent back and I would contact think geek for a refund? Would they be obligated to refund the shipping? First time I've been charged duty even though I've ordered from all over the world over the years. I was not happy paying over $100 for a few Tshirts and a calendar, no matter how cool they are!
It is probably only $10 duty and $10 handling by Canada Customs, with the rest of the fee being a brokerage fee charged by the delivery company. I believe thinkgeek uses UPS, which is the worst in terms of brokerage fees.

Best avoided by not shipping through UPS.
Aug 22, 2012
504 posts
565 upvotes
appleb wrote: It is probably only $10 duty and $10 handling by Canada Customs, with the rest of the fee being a brokerage fee charged by the delivery company. I believe thinkgeek uses UPS, which is the worst in terms of brokerage fees.

Best avoided by not shipping through UPS.
Yes it was UPS. Good tip, thanks!

Do you know if I refuse a package in the future because of this, would I get a full refund? Or would they say 'you agreed to pay any associated tax and duty'?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8336 posts
1989 upvotes
Toronto
Enforcer22 wrote: Yes it was UPS. Good tip, thanks!

Do you know if I refuse a package in the future because of this, would I get a full refund? Or would they say 'you agreed to pay any associated tax and duty'?
You can refuse the package but likely you'll be out the initial shipping charge. It depends on the seller.

You could also choose to 'self clear' the packages by contacting UPS. This which would involve you filling in some documents and going to a CBSA office to clear the package yourself. I think for the GTA, the CBSA office is at the airport. But who has time to take off work to do that?

https://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-cle ... erage-fee/

Another option is to use a US/Canada shipping service where you can have your items shipped to a US border town. Then they will drive your item across the border (cheaply). You still need to pay duty, but none of that excessive brokerage nonsense. I've used crossborderpickups a few times without issues, although many are reporting that customer service has gone down.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)