Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 3, 2013
594 posts
230 upvotes
Winnipeg

Thinking about moving out of the city

I'm thinking of moving out of the city. Five minutes south and going to a two acre lot where I am going to build a bungalow with myself as the general contractor.

The only services are hydro, gas, DSL internet/phone.

I'll have to go septic tank and field plus well.

Should I have any concerns? Is giving up luxary of city water and sewer anything to be worried about. You hear such bad raps about septic fields but I take it the method and setup has changed.

Are alarms available for the tanks?

What is maintenance on the tank? Do the pumps die often? Do the fields smell? What about the tank is there a smell? Do they need to be vented?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
1 reply
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1155 upvotes
zeon64 wrote: I'm thinking of moving out of the city. Five minutes south and going to a two acre lot where I am going to build a bungalow with myself as the general contractor.

The only services are hydro, gas, DSL internet/phone.

I'll have to go septic tank and field plus well.

Should I have any concerns? Is giving up luxary of city water and sewer anything to be worried about. You hear such bad raps about septic fields but I take it the method and setup has changed.

Are alarms available for the tanks?

What is maintenance on the tank? Do the pumps die often? Do the fields smell? What about the tank is there a smell? Do they need to be vented?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks
I live on well water and a septic tank. The well water is a little bit of a pain sometimes, you need to do your own treatment (filters in the basement usually) and pump it in yourself. Costs hydro to run the pump but otherwise it's free (no water bills). Septic is relatively maintenance free, just get it pumped every few years. Not sure what you would want an alarm for? When it starts to get full near capacity it just takes longer for solids to go down...takes a few more flushes. But you only need to pump every couple of years, depending on size of tank, house and number of people using it. Doesn't smell at all assuming everything's working fine.