Careers

Thinking about moving to Winnipeg for work?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2012 11:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA

Thinking about moving to Winnipeg for work?

Hey,

So what are your thoughts and suggestions about work in Winnipeg?

I was planning on visiting Winnipeg for a week or so and getting familiar with the city and also meeting with potential employers.

Has anyone went from one side of the country to the other and looked for any opportunities?
I had one company that was interested and phoned me back. I was wondering if they and other potential companies are out there and what is the best thing to do? Would sending a resume and having them fly me over to Winnipeg for the meeting be sufficient? or me going and pushing myself for the meeting while im there just to save time, be better?

I did have interviews before (in NY) where I was visiting and just by chance they called and I had an interview.

Whats ur thought?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2329 posts
357 upvotes
You didn't really give enough information to weigh in on an employment perspective. From a personal personal perspective - I lived in Winnipeg for seven years and I have no intention of ever going back. The weather never agreed with me, the crime rates are really high (Well above national average in every category), and the entire city just felt run down and dirty.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1672 posts
90 upvotes
Letting them know of a week when you'll be in town and available for a meeting is a sure-fire way to get the meeting (or at least much better odds than hoping for a invite and paid travel). You'll want to set-up as many meetings as you can to make your trip worthwhile.

I had a relative recently target Winnipeg (from SK).. He drove out there and stayed for a few days. Had a few interviews, all of which had a lot of potential.. but ended up with an offer from the outfit he was targeting.
Jan 24, 2009
522 posts
151 upvotes
Regina
I was born in Ajax and my dad would commute to downtown on a daily basis. He had the opportunity to come to Winnipeg and work for the same firm (he's a CA). This was 22 years ago and both my parents don't regret their decision to this day.

Winnipeg is definately not for everyone, it's got a very small city feeling but has nearly everything you'd want in it, lots of lakes, parks, nhl, cfl, etc. There's no way around it, winters are generally long and cold but the sun shines nearly everyday. For people that have not been here in a few years there's lots and lots of new subdivisions, the city has been growing and has become a lot more 'modern' in the last 5-8 years. Housing prices are also very affordable compared to BC/Alberta/On.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13833 posts
1337 upvotes
I spent a week there in February this year.

I will say it's a big city but doesn't have the big-city feel, even in the downtown areas (at least the ones I visited)

Since I was there for mission work, I naturally worked with a lot of homeless. When I say there are a lot of homeless, you understand that I mean we served hundreds of plates a day. I worked with the Siloam Mission and Winnipeg Harvest and both were large-scale operations that included hundreds of volunteers and served thousands, if not tens of thousands in the community.

Staying in a hostel in North Winnipeg - I will say that going out at night can be dangerous. On a routine trip to a variety store, we were followed and heckled by groups of people in low-income housing. However, I'm sure that's not representative of all of Winnipeg. We were in the high-risk areas because that was the nature of our work. We did get to check out the ice festival, which was very nice and a good time.

We also checked out some of the modern art. Just FYI, lots of smelly vegan hipsters in Winnipeg - Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2011
362 posts
40 upvotes
AURORA
Ascott wrote: You didn't really give enough information to weigh in on an employment perspective. From a personal personal perspective - I lived in Winnipeg for seven years and I have no intention of ever going back. The weather never agreed with me, the crime rates are really high (Well above national average in every category), and the entire city just felt run down and dirty.
I dont have employment perspectives lined up. I just thought, its summer, its nice..what the hey... go out there for 1-2 weeks, plan ahead ..call a few places ..tap on doors and see what comes out of it. I just wanted to know the grounds first. Whats booming, where to look at and what not.

I am not scared or worried about the negative things of Winnipeg. I have lived in Kingston and its different from Toronto, but none the less you have its highs and lows. All I want is to see something new and possibly see if I can find my next career there.
mork wrote: Letting them know of a week when you'll be in town and available for a meeting is a sure-fire way to get the meeting (or at least much better odds than hoping for a invite and paid travel). You'll want to set-up as many meetings as you can to make your trip worthwhile.

I had a relative recently target Winnipeg (from SK).. He drove out there and stayed for a few days. Had a few interviews, all of which had a lot of potential.. but ended up with an offer from the outfit he was targeting.
Yea, thats what I want to do. Just go there for a week.... call a few companies a week or 2 before hand and set something up.
p1llar wrote: I was born in Ajax and my dad would commute to downtown on a daily basis. He had the opportunity to come to Winnipeg and work for the same firm (he's a CA). This was 22 years ago and both my parents don't regret their decision to this day.

Winnipeg is definately not for everyone, it's got a very small city feeling but has nearly everything you'd want in it, lots of lakes, parks, nhl, cfl, etc. There's no way around it, winters are generally long and cold but the sun shines nearly everyday. For people that have not been here in a few years there's lots and lots of new subdivisions, the city has been growing and has become a lot more 'modern' in the last 5-8 years. Housing prices are also very affordable compared to BC/Alberta/On.
I would like a new lifestyle. The commute is a brutal one no matter where u go in the GTA. Construction slows you down and just the grid lock hurts and everywhere its clogged up for miles...
I know that Winnipeg is definitely no Kingston and no Toronto as well...but it has its own vibe and a downtown core and I'd definately love to see what going on and see if there is a match for me there.
Syne wrote: I spent a week there in February this year.

I will say it's a big city but doesn't have the big-city feel, even in the downtown areas (at least the ones I visited)

Since I was there for mission work, I naturally worked with a lot of homeless. When I say there are a lot of homeless, you understand that I mean we served hundreds of plates a day. I worked with the Siloam Mission and Winnipeg Harvest and both were large-scale operations that included hundreds of volunteers and served thousands, if not tens of thousands in the community.

Staying in a hostel in North Winnipeg - I will say that going out at night can be dangerous. On a routine trip to a variety store, we were followed and heckled by groups of people in low-income housing. However, I'm sure that's not representative of all of Winnipeg. We were in the high-risk areas because that was the nature of our work. We did get to check out the ice festival, which was very nice and a good time.

We also checked out some of the modern art. Just FYI, lots of smelly vegan hipsters in Winnipeg - Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)
Send to Toronto for a bit...lets see how the hecklers react.
Im not really afraid of that. I know that there is more aboriginals in Winnipeg compared to Toronto, which may cause some trouble...but you got homeless everywhere and there is probably good places as well and places to check out. So I dont mind seeing it.

How much was the hostel?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13833 posts
1337 upvotes
I think something like $23 a night but we got a group discount. I'm sure it's a bit more if you're flying solo.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jul 31, 2008
382 posts
187 upvotes
Markham
Advantages of Winnipeg:
o Nice sized city. You can feel like you know your city, versus something like the GTA which is just too huge.
o Beautiful women and ugly, redneck men (just kidding, kinda).
o Inexpensive. Peggers are cheapskates (very RFD). You can get a lot of value for your $$$.
o Some very good restaurants/bakeries/etc. A great city for good food.
o Car insurance is very reasonable, compared to the highway robbery in Ontario.
o Decent theater scene. Not as good as Toronto, but affordable and some good content.
o Better hockey team than the leafs (not too difficult).

Disadvantages:
o Another two months of winter. It is just too long.
o Too isolated for road trips. Too isolated in general. In winter, it can feel like a penal colony on the moon.
o Mosquitoes. Beautiful summers. Prepare to spend them inside a gazebo because the mosquitoes are insane.
o Bad drivers. More old men in hats blocking traffic than anywhere else in the world.
o High crime. The downtown core is still a cesspool (depressingly so).
o Poor concert scene. They get the occasional big act but too sporadic IMHO.
o Bad radio stations. It is like going in a time warp.
o Real estate boom. Prices seem out of whack with land availability. They only finish the front of a house and stucco the rest. Ugly subdivisions.
o If you have a family, seems like the odds are 50-50 your kids will move away.