Home & Garden

Thinking about Pie shap new home lot

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2020 5:13 pm
[OP]
Mar 16, 2017
33 posts
16 upvotes
zeddy wrote: Is that a 22 foot wide lot?
Curb Entrance looks 22 foot and inside is wide
[OP]
Mar 16, 2017
33 posts
16 upvotes
Thank you all for your time. Its realy helpful take any decision. Mostly we will go with this lot. Lets see what lawyer will say about agreement.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6421 posts
2016 upvotes
0 downvotes
Since this was my first house the House is what sold me, not so much the land, but I didn't really have a choice, buy a modern house with up to date building codes and materials and move-in ready with a larger pie shaped backyard lot, or buy a house for the same price with smaller backyard, possibly half split, cinder block foundation, no forced air furnace, boiler only, possibly asbestos in the walls, aluminum wiring, etc, so it was my first house so if i had to do it again, i would get slightly smaller yet decent sized back yard and pay less property tax
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1224 posts
780 upvotes
London, On
GoodFellaz wrote: I agree with B: No place to shovel the snow. By the end of the winter, we'd have piles 6+ feet high. This is a challenge I face, also no where to put recycle bins or blue boxes or compost bins or put large items for trash collection like mattress, bed frames, ect they will go on your driveway in the winter

Another thing, if you have a big backyard pie shaped, cutting the grass will be a pain in the you know what, I fill up on average 3 bags of grass clippings and misc yard waste like twigs, leafs, branches, weeds, etc. lots of time consuming work
If you have any kind of storm and the fences get damaged or breaks for falls down, be prepared for a big repair bill compared to your neighbours with a smaller more regular sized backyard. i had 3 sections of fence break, and the repair bill was $24,000 so unless you go thru insurance, and even if u go thru insurance they only cover your portion, the neighbours may not agree to fix it so your on the hook for the neighbours cost.
weeds, more grass means more weeds, lots of cleanup involved, time consuming, and lastly
property tax. your property tax is NOT on the size of your house its the size of your lot, bigger backyard means bigger lot means more tax compared to your neighbours, so u better use that space really good, cus your paying for it
I'm sorry, $24,000 to repair 3 sections of fence? $1000 a foot basically? Also, just because a lot is pie shaped doesn't necessarily mean the lot area is bigger for tax purposes. Smaller in the front, bigger in the back, some of them average out.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1155 posts
732 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
We live on a curve with a very large pie shaped lot.. Our lot and the two on either side of ours are actually 1.5x lots so we still have a fairly normal frontage on the street. Our backyard is huge . The previous owner planted double rows of cedars all along the fence lines that are now about 10 feet from the fence creating a real private space with a lot of lawn and garden area. Ideal if you wanted a pool with space around it etc. We don't. There are other trees interspersed among them. I'm old, in my 60s now and as long as I've owned houses, and growing up, a pie shaped lot has always been a key selling point, all other things being equal.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6421 posts
2016 upvotes
0 downvotes
djeffery wrote: I'm sorry, $24,000 to repair 3 sections of fence? $1000 a foot basically? Also, just because a lot is pie shaped doesn't necessarily mean the lot area is bigger for tax purposes. Smaller in the front, bigger in the back, some of them average out.
3 BIG sections, basically 3 sides had parts that collapsed, not 3 FEET a section can contain many many feet, i dont measure it, but it was a good 25 posts minimum
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7091 posts
1586 upvotes
We are now on a similar shape lot.

Good:
- amazing size backyard, we have a pool and huge deck and still tons of space.
- more separation with your neighbours. More privacy.

Bad:
- smaller frontage, makes the house looks less grand than it is.
- smaller front yard and less space to park (in my case, but yours can be different)

If I buy again, I would go for the same.
Sep 19, 2014
483 posts
251 upvotes
Markham, ON
dottawat wrote: I'm no fengshui expert, but when I was shopping for my last house, my realtor talked lots about fengshui (don't even know if he was an expert). But he cautioned us from lots that are located in on the outside sweep of a corner (like drawn in your picture). He told us it was bad fengshui for your front door to face upwards to a street. Please don't ask me anything about this, I don't understand the rules (but I do kind of believe in it...some houses just "feel" right).

More practically, he told us that when you are on the outside of a corner like that, every car that drives down the street and turns that corner will shine its lights right through your windows. Every single time. This would drive me crazy, to be honest, especially on a busy street.

My favourite lots are mid-block (e.g. some distance from corners and "non-house" stuff (stores, parks, parking lots, apartments, etc.). Drove my wife crazy when house hunting, lol.
Fengshui aside, lot on the outside sweep of a corner is exactly where an idiot driver will plunge into when he or she misread the corner
You can always put a giant rock there like many people do so those idiot will drive into the rock instead of into your house.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20905 posts
19180 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
blackn54 wrote: Fengshui aside, lot on the outside sweep of a corner is exactly where an idiot driver will plunge into when he or she misread the corner
You can always put a giant rock there like many people do so those idiot will drive into the rock instead of into your house.
Lol, I have seen this crap happen ...
But rarely to a house in the middle of residential street on a curve
Most often to a house on a corner lot, in winter, where someone skids thru the intersection while attempting the corner too fast
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35185 posts
8648 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
When I lived in a crescent, which every house was pie shaped. Everyone used a snow blower and we piled our snow in the middle of the street and crated our own round about.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1224 posts
780 upvotes
London, On
GoodFellaz wrote: 3 BIG sections, basically 3 sides had parts that collapsed, not 3 FEET a section can contain many many feet, i dont measure it, but it was a good 25 posts minimum
OK, I got ya. When you said 3 sections, I was thinking the actual 8 foot sections between a post, not a large line of fencing hundreds of feet long.