Home & Garden

Thinking of converting the laundry room in our basement to a bathroom - how much could this cost?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 9:48 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
32 posts
12 upvotes

Thinking of converting the laundry room in our basement to a bathroom - how much could this cost?

I just moved back to our detached home in Oakville a couple of months ago. We have a finished basement (around 700 sq ft), with a rather large laundry room.

I'd like to do 2 things:
  • Convert the laundry room into a 3-piece bathroom
  • Reduce our furnace room size so there's more open space in the rest of the basement

Any recommendations on who I should reach out to for something like this?

Also, how much should I expect to shell out? I know "it depends", but a range would be helpful...is this a $10K expense? $30K?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7500 posts
8023 upvotes
oksure wrote: I just moved back to our detached home in Oakville a couple of months ago. We have a finished basement (around 700 sq ft), with a rather large laundry room.

I'd like to do 2 things:
  • Reduce our furnace room size so there's more open space in the rest of the basement

Also, how much should I expect to shell out? I know "it depends", but a range would be helpful...is this a $10K expense? $30K?
You just ansewered yourself. get few quotes from professionnals. And, how can we help you with the lack of infos? Whether your basement is 700 Sq. Ft no where you say how is large your laundry room... and, IT DEPENDS on what do you want... cheap plumbing devices because it is a second bathroom? high end? midrange? ceramic with glass door or acrylic shower? Have to break the slab to get to the sewer pipe or no? So it depends, I'd say somewhere between $10K and $30K if that helps
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Aug 13th, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11479 posts
6660 upvotes
Paris
DoorCrasher wrote: You just ansewered yourself. get few quotes from professionnals. And, how can we help you with the lack of infos? Wheter your basement is 700 Sq. Ft no where you say how is your laundry room... and, IT DEPENDS on what do you want... cheap plumbing devices because it is a second bathromm? high end? mi range? ceramic or acrylic shower? Have to break the salb to get tothe sewer pipe or no? So it depends, I'd say somewhere between $10K and $30K if that helps
The slab breaking is key. If you dont have a roughed in bathroom and want a 3 or 4 piece and your stack is 25 feet away, this is going to cost a fortune. Bathroom renos are like saying “wedding, funeral, or divorce” to respective vendors and prices go nuts fast. So I’ll say between $9,999 and $30,001
Mar 10, 2004
790 posts
287 upvotes
Jerico wrote: The slab breaking is key. If you dont have a roughed in bathroom and want a 3 or 4 piece and your stack is 25 feet away, this is going to cost a fortune. Bathroom renos are like saying “wedding, funeral, or divorce” to respective vendors and prices go nuts fast. So I’ll say between $9,999 and $30,001
I don t think breaking the slab is too big a deal. The laundry already has a drain that just needs to be reworked. Pretty sure its connected to at least a 3inch pipe back to the main stack.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5275 posts
2714 upvotes
tempperm wrote: I don t think breaking the slab is too big a deal. The laundry already has a drain that just needs to be reworked. Pretty sure its connected to at least a 3inch pipe back to the main stack.
Not always the case, and who even knows Where it connects to the underground branches. It could be 10, 20, 30 feet away drilled within the wall before it goes underground . Either way breaking up the concrete to run a new branch/ 3pc is very achievable in most cases

Alternatively if the proposed washroom is near the furnace room then there likely a floor drain near, which would also mean that there is most likely a 4” branch there

Just an FYI , a drain “stack” is a vertical section, and their locations are not the crucial piece here. Their location may give you a general idea of where you main branches could be running, because that is the crucial element here
oksure wrote: I just moved back to our detached home in Oakville a couple of months ago. We have a finished basement (around 700 sq ft), with a rather large laundry room.

I'd like to do 2 things:

Op. Sent you a PM with a referral
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Mar 10, 2004
790 posts
287 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Not always the case, and who even knows Where it connects to the underground branches. It could be 10, 20, 30 feet away drilled within the wall before it goes underground . Either way breaking up the concrete to run a new branch/ 3pc is very achievable in most cases

Alternatively if the proposed washroom is near the furnace room then there likely a floor drain near, which would also mean that there is most likely a 4” branch there

Just an FYI , a drain “stack” is a vertical section, and their locations are not the crucial piece here. Their location may give you a general idea of where you main branches could be running, because that is the crucial element here

Op. Sent you a PM with a referral
Maybe. You can get a camera from amazon and snake to confirm.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5275 posts
2714 upvotes
tempperm wrote: Maybe. You can get a camera from amazon and snake to confirm.
No, you would need a drain camera and a Sonde Line Locator. (Which I have) I doubt your average homeowner is going to spend that kind of money
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Mar 10, 2004
790 posts
287 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: No, you would need a drain camera and a Sonde Line Locator. (Which I have) I doubt your average homeowner is going to spend that kind of money
Yup, i m sure that s a bulletproof way. Me I just push the camera in till i know i hit the main pipe. Honestly i think everyone should get a camera. It s only like 150 bucks from amazon. Found a few roots but not enough to rooter.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4681 posts
4392 upvotes
Toronto
It's likely at least $10K for the cheapest materials (cheapest floor tile, basic acrylic tub/shower, cheapest big box vanity and toilet) and no hiccups with changing the plumbing. $20K+ easily with slightly better stuff.

Probably worth it, though, unless you already have a lot of other bathrooms.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4058 posts
3102 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
A Saniflo toilet can be used to avoid breaking the slab. Both sink and shower/tub can be drained into the unit.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10030 posts
915 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah get it camera (scope It) then your estimate would be more accurate when breaking the slab
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
32 posts
12 upvotes
Thanks, this thread is pretty informative already. At least I am starting to understand the type of research I need to do + questions to ask of contractors and so on.