• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2015 12:46 am
Tags:
None
Apr 26, 2007
843 posts
175 upvotes

Thinking of getting a second property

Want to increase my real estate portfolio and thinking of getting another property. I currently own a home ($200 mortgage bal., $400k value) and want to rent it out and move in to a new home.

My income is $75k and I dont have any other debts.

The question is if I get a HELOC and use it as a downpayment for the new home, what price range should I be looking at for the new home?

I dont want to end up in a very high priced home, only be paying interest-only payments on the HELOC and end up in a debt hole.
Thank my post if it helped!
13 replies
Apr 26, 2007
843 posts
175 upvotes
ajferreira wrote: You would be better off using the HELOC to purchase the second home and rent out that one. Interest on the borrowed amount is tax deductible.
I know it would be tax-deductible but another reason to rent it out is that I am considering a relocation in my job so instead of selling the current place I want to rent it out.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
438 upvotes
BC
ajferreira wrote: You would be better off using the HELOC to purchase the second home and rent out that one. Interest on the borrowed amount is tax deductible.
Are only HELOC loans tax deductible, or is it any investment property?

HELOC rates are a bit higher no? I just checked - they are. So why do people go with a higher interest rate loan?...
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
438 upvotes
BC
Oh I see, thanks. OK then I presume people access HELOC because it is an already approved and open line of credit, rather than it has its own tax benefits. Makes sense now.
Go Raptors, Go!
Sep 24, 2010
917 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
canucky1 wrote: Oh I see, thanks. OK then I presume people access HELOC because it is an already approved and open line of credit, rather than it has its own tax benefits. Makes sense now.
One needs to apply for a HELOC (it's not already approved and it's not open in the sense that its maxed at the 65% of the LTV by most banks) but interest rates are usually much lower than the unsecured lines of credit.
Apr 26, 2007
843 posts
175 upvotes
fizzerd wrote: Want to increase my real estate portfolio and thinking of getting another property. I currently own a home ($200 mortgage bal., $400k value) and want to rent it out and move in to a new home.

The question is if I get a HELOC and use it as a downpayment for the new home, what price range should I be looking at for the new home?

I dont want to end up in a very high priced home, only be paying interest-only payments on the HELOC and end up in a debt hole.
Any advice on the original post?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
It depends on what percentage of down payment you desire to put on your 2nd place.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8974 posts
2827 upvotes
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I am kind of in the same mindset.

My question is, if my mortgage company doesn't offer a HELOC, what are my options?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
5310 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
You could get one of these. Its a mortgage not a heloc so you won't be limited to 65% of the value of your home as you would with a heloc. So you could apply for one of these and if you have at least 80% equity, pay off your existing mortgage.

any money you make is automatically credited against your mortgage since it becomes a giant checking account. and you can pay extra amounts anytime. and you don't need to keep $5000 here, $10,000 there etc. simply throw every dime into the mortgage saving yourself interest. and you can still take money out at any time up to your credit limit using the ATM card or write a check.

they also have a similar product for rental properties as well.

there is a product for self employed individuals but that is limited to 65% the home's value

http://www.manulifebank.ca/wps/portal/b ... /mortgages
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
popbottle wrote: You could get one of these. Its a mortgage not a heloc so you won't be limited to 65% of the value of your home as you would with a heloc. So you could apply for one of these and if you have at least 80% equity, pay off your existing mortgage.

any money you make is automatically credited against your mortgage since it becomes a giant checking account. and you can pay extra amounts anytime. and you don't need to keep $5000 here, $10,000 there etc. simply throw every dime into the mortgage saving yourself interest. and you can still take money out at any time up to your credit limit using the ATM card or write a check.

they also have a similar product for rental properties as well.

there is a product for self employed individuals but that is limited to 65% the home's value

http://www.manulifebank.ca/wps/portal/b ... /mortgages
Do they have that for all mortgage lenders? I'm with CMLS Financial.
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
11203 posts
3334 upvotes
Toronto
fizzerd wrote: Want to increase my real estate portfolio and thinking of getting another property. I currently own a home ($200 mortgage bal., $400k value) and want to rent it out and move in to a new home.

You should get pre-approved for a mortgage...you may not qualify for additional financing.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8974 posts
2827 upvotes
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote: You should get pre-approved for a mortgage...you may not qualify for additional financing.
Additional funding over his 400k valued property?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)