Travel

Thinking of going to australia, what to do there?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2017 1:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3441 posts
1051 upvotes
Vaughan

Thinking of going to australia, what to do there?

I'm thinking of going to australia. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to do/see there. I'm pretty much for anything. However, i'm not a beach person. I don't like sitting at the beach. For example, when i went to california. I did check out both venice beach, and santa monica. However, i didn't spend a single moment sitting in the sand or water. That's not my thing.

I plan on doing seeing things like the opera house, great barrier reef, uruulu, and most known sites. However, can you guys suggest something that might not show up on a google search.

I'm also thinking of going to new zealand as well. I was thinking 1 week in new zealand. 2 weeks in australia. Or should i spend less time in new zealand. I'm a sightseeing type person. I like both natural sightseeing things, and man made ones. I'm open to almost anything.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
17 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36626 posts
10993 upvotes
Ottawa
In addition to the places you already listed;
Into the jungle and parks in the north near Darwin.
Australian South Sea pearls off Broome.
Vineyards in the south.
Fraser Island....amazing....surrounded by beaches but you can't swim because of sharks :)
Surfers Paradise...fabulous beach but it also has great nightlife.
Banned
User avatar
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure how you would arrange it but we spend a few days on a friend's sheep station. Maybe there are options to do something similar but it was one of our favourite parts of our trip. We also went abseiling/canyoning in Katoomba, not far outside of Sydney. We spent a month in Australia and didn't spend a whole lot of time on the beach. Also, if you're good with water but not sitting on the beach, then snorkelling or scuba diving would be great there.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1343 upvotes
Moncton
If you are under 30 you can get a work permit.

The Great Barrier Reef is the reason to go to Australia. Cairns is a nice warm place in any season and makes a nice base. Accommodation and car rentals in Cairns can be quite cheap. While you are there you can check out the falls in the nearby hills. The other side of the hills gives you a nice idea of the interior. Cairns would be perfect for you as there is no beach (although they do have a very nice pool downtown). Going north has really nice beaches. I’m not one to spend thousands of dollars to swim in the ocean when I can do that $5 gas away in Shediac, but like following the call of the siren I went to as many beaches as possible. They are spectacular and the area is quite hot and humid. The salt water crocodiles add a certain je ne sais quoi.

Other than that Australia is a bit meh. Great if you are xenophobic or love jet lag. Granted the language and cultural similarities can be fascinating when juxtaposed with the laws and customs that are completely different (like an $18 minimum wage and no tipping).

There are more Aboriginals in the Cairns area, made me feel less xenophobic. Although I was taken aback when one wished me a nice life (apparently a local expression instead of “have a nice day”).

Sydney felt like an upside down Toronto. Although the double decker subway is kind of cool (until you realize it’s more of an underground Go Train with awkward stations).

Melbourne felt like an upside down Montreal. Probably because of the F1, the blue collar locals and lack of swimmable beaches.

Urban Australia is a bit like going to Pennsylvania. Nice enough, except instead of a couple of hours, you crossed half the planet to get there. If possible, try a stopover in Hawaii as you fly over it anyway. Alternatively, go the long but potentially cheaper way via China and take advantage of the 72 hour visa-free policy in Beijing or Shanghai.

Great Barrier Reef is currently on Netflix Canada.

It isn’t a contest and presumably if you have the time and money for Australia you’ll have it for the rest of the world later, but here is my ranking:
New York City> Grand Canyon > Morocco > Turkey > All of Europe > Caribbean > Thailand > California > Canadian Rockies > Cabot Trail > Brazil > Washington DC, Venezuela > Bogota> Saigon > Yangon >St. Louis Arc> Charleston > Savanna > Saint Augustine> Key West > Miami Beach > Australia > Pittsburgh > Detroit. ;)

Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
12000 posts
2784 upvotes
I was told if you are adventurous, 2 weeks in New Zealand and 1 week in Australia.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36626 posts
10993 upvotes
Ottawa
MonctonMan wrote: ......

The Great Barrier Reef is the reason to go to Australia. Cairns is a nice warm place in any season and makes a nice base. Accommodation and car rentals in Cairns can be quite cheap. While you are there you can check out the falls in the nearby hills. The other side of the hills gives you a nice idea of the interior. ......

Other than that Australia is a bit meh.
Great if you are xenophobic or love jet lag. .......

There are more Aboriginals in the Cairns
area, ......

Sydney felt like an upside down Toronto. ......

Melbourne felt like an upside down Montreal. ...

Urban Australia is a bit like going to Pennsylvania. ......

.......

........
Clearly not a fan of Australia.
Cairns is "Great if you are xenophobic"? What a dumb thing to say? Hotels and car rentals are the same as anywhere else in Australia.
Sydney is nothing like Toronto and Melbourne is not like Montreal either. Both are very unique n their location, amenities, cuisine and atmosphere.
"Urban Australia is bit like going to Pennsylvania" Been to both ad I have no idea where you were in either but you could not be any more wrong with that statement. Pennsylvania? Wheew, you are so far off base, I cannot believe it. :facepalm:
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36626 posts
10993 upvotes
Ottawa
speedyforme wrote: I was told if you are adventurous, 2 weeks in New Zealand and 1 week in Australia.
New Zealand s very much like BC geography so yes, it can be an outdoor adventure but a walk on the West Coast Trail or hiking at Whistler can satisfy that kind of adventure.
Australia on the other hand has the lizards and snakes and spiders and scorpions in the desert and swimming in shark and alligator infested waters to pique your adventurous side :)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2986 upvotes
phuviano wrote: I'm thinking of going to australia. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to do/see there. I'm pretty much for anything. However, i'm not a beach person. I don't like sitting at the beach. For example, when i went to california. I did check out both venice beach, and santa monica. However, i didn't spend a single moment sitting in the sand or water. That's not my thing.

I plan on doing seeing things like the opera house, great barrier reef, uruulu, and most known sites. However, can you guys suggest something that might not show up on a google search.

I'm also thinking of going to new zealand as well. I was thinking 1 week in new zealand. 2 weeks in australia. Or should i spend less time in new zealand. I'm a sightseeing type person. I like both natural sightseeing things, and man made ones. I'm open to almost anything.
OP, I'm curious as to your thought processes.

If you have no idea what to do in Australia, how did you come up with the thought of wanting to go there in the first place? :eek:

Just seems exactly opposite of how this should really work. One would normally read or hear about places, culture, food, things to see or do in places and THAT would generate the interest in visiting. Your approach seems to be the other way around. How did you come to this?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7835 posts
5348 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Pete_Coach wrote: New Zealand s very much like BC geography so yes, it can be an outdoor adventure but a walk on the West Coast Trail or hiking at Whistler can satisfy that kind of adventure.
Australia on the other hand has the lizards and snakes and spiders and scorpions in the desert and swimming in shark and alligator infested waters to pique your adventurous side :)
True, I'm from Victoria, BC and every person I ever met from New Zealand told me that Vancouver Island reminded them quite a bit of New Zealand.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3441 posts
1051 upvotes
Vaughan
Conquistador wrote: OP, I'm curious as to your thought processes.

If you have no idea what to do in Australia, how did you come up with the thought of wanting to go there in the first place? :eek:

Just seems exactly opposite of how this should really work. One would normally read or hear about places, culture, food, things to see or do in places and THAT would generate the interest in visiting. Your approach seems to be the other way around. How did you come to this?
Well, I do a lot of last minute trips. I always have a list of places I want to go. Australia is one of them, but it wasn't really at the top of my list currently. At the top of my list is the giza pyramids, city of Petra in Jordan, Thailand, Singapore, Korea, and Japan again (already been there). I usually Google what to Do, when I plan a vacay. I usually do plan it 3-4 months in advance. I haven't been a true vacation for over a year and I feel i need to go somewhere. Somewhere outside north America.

Also I didn't say I have no idea what to Do. I said are there any suggestions besides the ones I can find on Google? Google searches only show the more popular things to do. The more popular things aren't always geared towards everyone.

Anyways, I don't think I'll be going on this trip due to my work. I may have to plan it for another time.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3441 posts
1051 upvotes
Vaughan
Thanks all those who replied. I don't think I'll be able to do this trip this year. However, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I will eventually go on this trip. All suggestions will be taken into consideration when I do actually go. Possibly next year around the same time.

Thanks everyone.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2986 upvotes
phuviano wrote: Well, I do a lot of last minute trips. I always have a list of places I want to go. Australia is one of them, but it wasn't really at the top of my list currently. At the top of my list is the giza pyramids, city of Petra in Jordan, Thailand, Singapore, Korea, and Japan again (already been there). I usually Google what to Do, when I plan a vacay. I usually do plan it 3-4 months in advance. I haven't been a true vacation for over a year and I feel i need to go somewhere. Somewhere outside north America.

Also I didn't say I have no idea what to Do. I said are there any suggestions besides the ones I can find on Google? Google searches only show the more popular things to do. The more popular things aren't always geared towards everyone.

Anyways, I don't think I'll be going on this trip due to my work. I may have to plan it for another time.
Thanks for that answer.

Those first two on your list are on mine too and we've been to both Thailand and Singapore, the former a couple of times and for about a month last time. Planning on Petra for next spring.

As for Australia, that's also on our list for the next few years but we're planning an extended visit to there and New Zealand to make the travel to get there more worthwhile.

Good luck with your future travel plan.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
12000 posts
2784 upvotes
There are just too many places to visit in this world, I have compiled a list and yeah it will take me more than 10 years to get to them lol. And those are the must go to places:

Mongolia, India/Nepal, New Zealand, Antarctica (going there in 2019 yeah!), Egypt/Jordan, Morocco, Russia, Africa (South or East) at minimum.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2986 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: There are just too many places to visit in this world, I have compiled a list and yeah it will take me more than 10 years to get to them lol. And those are the must go to places:

Mongolia, India/Nepal, New Zealand, Antarctica (going there in 2019 yeah!), Egypt/Jordan, Morocco, Russia, Africa (South or East) at minimum.
Exactly. So many places, so little time. :)

Rather than hunker down in one place for the winters, like so many snowbirds do, we've decided to travel the world while we're still young and healthy enough to do so, and then maybe buy a place where it's warmer. That last part, however, is several years down the road. Have several dozens of countries to get to yet. :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1343 upvotes
Moncton
Apart from global warming and the Great Barrier reef bleaching, the other reason to visit Australia right now is cheap oil.

10 years ago, in 2007, more Canadians visited Austria than Australia!

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableau ... 7i-eng.htm

Edit: Expensive oil didn't stop Australians from visiting Canada so perhaps something else is at play. Fascinating that despite their comparatively low population, more Australians visit Canada than vice-versa. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableau ... 8i-eng.htm
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 30, 2001
29759 posts
9418 upvotes
Toronto
NZ is awesome. You could spend a few weeks there exploring the North and South islands. There's a glacial walk in the south, spas in the north, bungee jumping, boat tours, seeing the history of the native population, pristine untouched lands photo ops, train rides..it's a great place if the outdoors is your thing.

Sydney was cool for the Opera House and maybe the aquarium. Other than that I wasn't overly blown away by it.
Be kind and civil with one another

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)