• Dec 26th, 2019 4:34 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
813 posts
309 upvotes
toronto

thinking non all inclusive

ive always done all inclusive
- thinking now to try possibly cayman islands etc..the fancy places which are an arm in a leg for all inclusive,,but if go maybe just european plan, can afford it..at the same time, would drink and eat less, basically watching your budget..
anyone gone down in the carribean without all inclusive,,how did you find it,,as well ,,are they checking at the buffet etc to see if you paid all inclusive or not
thanks
8 replies
Mar 8, 2004
480 posts
258 upvotes
Kanata
your best bet wrote: ive always done all inclusive
- thinking now to try possibly cayman islands etc..the fancy places which are an arm in a leg for all inclusive,,but if go maybe just european plan, can afford it..at the same time, would drink and eat less, basically watching your budget..
anyone gone down in the carribean without all inclusive,,how did you find it,,as well ,,are they checking at the buffet etc to see if you paid all inclusive or not
thanks
Are you implying that if we tell you that they don't check if you paid all inclusive, you are planning on not paying for your meals? Just want to be clear here.

One of the benefits of not paying all inclusive is being able to go out and eat at other places, go explore and try something different every day.

We've done St Kitts and Aruba non all-inclusive and enjoyed both. We hardly drink and all you can eat isn't a big deal for us. Depending on the island you can definitely eat at a reasonable price and probably get better food depending on the place.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1450 posts
322 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
We’ve done Jamaica, Barbados, St Lucia and Antigua non AI. Of all those places, we only stayed at a hotel in Negril, Jamaica with breakfast included. On the other three islands we rented a place, so we had to get groceries to make breakfast etc. We mostly ate out for supper, though. Not sure if it’s cheaper, but we had enough of the AI’s, as we found them all the same and we like to explore and do our own thing when on vacation.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25353 posts
4472 upvotes
If you're thinking of not paying for an AI, then consider renting a house. I did that in Mexico last winter and it was such a great experience. Had my own private pool. I could have music going until 3 am, which I did several times. I paid for a cook to come in and cook dinner for me twice in the week I was there. They bring all the food, cook, clean and then leave. Went out to restaurants a few times, prepared food in the house some of the days.

Now of course that doesn't really work if you're hoping to steal food from a buffet that you didn't pay for.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
813 posts
309 upvotes
toronto
thanks for responses,,,was just curious about how they know about non all inclusive at the resort and inclusive...
overall did you find you saved a fair amount or basically the same,,as going away from reesort to eat and drink can be expensive
thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
your best bet wrote: ive always done all inclusive
thanks
Friends of mine many years ago worked in the Caymen Islands. Everything is very expensive because nothing is local. Everything needs to be brought in. My advice if you go it must be all inclusive.
Mar 8, 2004
480 posts
258 upvotes
Kanata
your best bet wrote: thanks for responses,,,was just curious about how they know about non all inclusive at the resort and inclusive...
overall did you find you saved a fair amount or basically the same,,as going away from reesort to eat and drink can be expensive
thanks
I've never stayed at an all inclusive where some people were on a different meal plan so wouldn't know how they check.

You really need to figure some things out for yourself as there are so many factors involved.
Which island?
How much will your accommodation cost?
How much do you drink when out?
How expensive do you like to eat out? How much do restaurants cost where you are going?
Budget a daily amount for food, multiply it by the number of equivalent days for your all inclusive alternative.

Do up a budget and compare the 2 options.

Remember that all inclusive would likely also include airport transfer so budget that in too.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2579 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I’ve been to Caymans before and gone without all inclusive.

It’s def not a cheap island but you can make it that way depending on how inexpensive / expensive your taste buds are. IRC liquour is duty free so you can buy things to bring back to your room.

Take a look at local restaurants that suit your taste buds and you can get an idea of what meals will cost you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8600 posts
1509 upvotes
Vancouver
your best bet wrote: thanks for responses,,,was just curious about how they know about non all inclusive at the resort and inclusive...
thanks
Most likely different colour wrist strap
Autocorrect sucks