Automotive

Thinking of purchasing a 2018 ford f150 XLT Sport, pros/cons?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 7:02 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2010
1917 posts
842 upvotes
Surrey

Thinking of purchasing a 2018 ford f150 XLT Sport, pros/cons?

Hi everyone

Thinking of purchasing a ford f150 sport xlt v8 302a package. Any pro's or con's to the truck? Any known problems?

Thanks in advance!
24 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
The V8 has no particular problems. The 10 speed transmission had a few minor teething problems when it first came out, but nothing particularly noteworthy I believe. Otherwise the truck itself is as bulletproof as a truck can be in general. There was a TSB about freezing locks that apparently some people have had issues with (which is covered under an extended warranty if you do have problems down the line) and another for the Block heater which is under recall. I'm getting mine done next week.

I have the 2017 XLT sport with the 301a package, couldn't find the 302 at the time unfortunately. The 18 has the lightly updated engine (10 extra horses and port injection added) and has the previously mentioned 10 speed (the 17 has the 6 speed). Interior wise you might find it a little more utilitarian looking than the new generations of the Ram and GMC/Silverado (as the F150 is 4 years old now, and they have just been released, but I find it a nice place to be, especially with the Sport package.

The 302 should have the larger infotainment screen/SYNC 3, but if you can also get SYNC Connect, which doesn't come as standard (it allows you to control the truck from your phone - start/stop, location, fuel/range, unlock etc).

I've had my 17 just over a year and the only issue I've had with it is the reversing camera can sometimes refuse to start when it's cold. It's being fixed under warranty next week. Otherwise I like it.

You should be getting an good discount on it as you presumably know, probably in the region of 25-30% off MSRP. That's assuming you're buying new.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
Do you really need a truck? Most people dont
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2006
1152 posts
734 upvotes
St Johns
iownyou wrote: Do you really need a truck? Most people dont
Face With Tears Of Joy I don’t this is what the OP wants to hear...
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11166 upvotes
need ≠ want

OP should buy what they want.

There is nothing nicer than driving a truck, so go for it.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
do you really need any car?? give yer head a shake and dont judge others
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Cons: it's a Ford
Pros: the v8 is tried tested and true and even if you decide to go with the 3.5L ecoboost, the 2nd Gen was redesigned with dual port/direct injection (eliminating most, if not all issues with carbon build up on the back side of the intake valves)
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
It's a great truck. I highly recommend the 2.7. I've had both the V8 and 2.7 and the 2.7 is my favourite engine
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: need ≠ want

OP should buy what they want.

There is nothing nicer than driving a truck, so go for it.
I mostly agree with your post. If it works for your lifestyle, a truck can be great. Even if it doesn't work for your lifestyle, if a truck is what you want to try, then that's what you should consider, if the numbers make sense.

The last line though: I've driven tons of big vehicles and generally dislike driving trucks and massive family wagons, because it doesn't make sense for my lifestyle. So for me, driving a "car" is a lot nicer than driving a truck.
Deal with it.
Dec 19, 2010
907 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
never understood this mentality. does someone need an M3, C63, GTR? No, but they buy it cause they like it.
people rag on people who like trucks for some reason but no snarky remarks when someone is looking at buying a $40K decked out honda accord. why doesn't everyone just buy a mirage like someone else mentioned.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
I test drove an '18 5.0 F150 w/10 speed auto and I have to say I really didn't like it.
There was thin plastic material all over the cab, it was noisy, rode like a bucking bronco, and had poor throttle response.
The auto tranny made weird noises like someone was strangling a kitten.

I'd drive all the competition first before buying it.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11166 upvotes
KorruptioN wrote: I mostly agree with your post. If it works for your lifestyle, a truck can be great. Even if it doesn't work for your lifestyle, if a truck is what you want to try, then that's what you should consider, if the numbers make sense.

The last line though: I've driven tons of big vehicles and generally dislike driving trucks and massive family wagons, because it doesn't make sense for my lifestyle. So for me, driving a "car" is a lot nicer than driving a truck.
To each their own of course. To me, there is nothing nice about sitting 6" off the road, feeling every pebble and bump, not being able see over or around the vehicle in front of me, and getting "down" into a vehicle.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11166 upvotes
Shaner wrote: It's a great truck. I highly recommend the 2.7. I've had both the V8 and 2.7 and the 2.7 is my favourite engine
For fuel economy? Power? Towing? or is it just better for all?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
4373 posts
2499 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Shaner wrote: It's a great truck. I highly recommend the 2.7. I've had both the V8 and 2.7 and the 2.7 is my favourite engine
I’d agree with this. If you don’t need the hauling capacity get the 2.7. Slightly more fuel efficient and no negatives.
Psychopathetic wrote: I test drove an '18 5.0 F150 w/10 speed auto and I have to say I really didn't like it.
There was thin plastic material all over the cab, it was noisy, rode like a bucking bronco, and had poor throttle response.
The auto tranny made weird noises like someone was strangling a kitten.

I'd drive all the competition first before buying it.
What’s re you comparing it to? It’s far quieter than most sedans and hatches for example. The “bronco” nature is because it’s a truck, but it’s the most car like ride of any of the half ton trucks.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: For fuel economy? Power? Towing? or is it just better for all?
All of the above, unless towing very heavy, then the 2.7 isn't an option. It maxes out at 7500 lbs (last time I checked anyway) but I don't like towing that heavy with a 1/2 ton anyway.

I tow a 5500 lb travel trailer. With the V8 it was almost always in 3rd gear, sometimes 4th if I wasn't accelerating and there was no head wind. It lived at high RPM's, which I know they are designed to do because that's where the power is. I didn't care much for hours of the engine screaming while going on long trips with my trailer.

With the 2.7 all the power is in the lower RPM's. I can sometimes sit in 6th gear while towing my trailer and it never gets above 3000 rpm.

When not towing, the power is instant at low RPM's. That's not the case for the V8. Plus the gas mileage is better.

The 2.7 isn't an option for those wanting to tow very heavy or who want the max payload package. For everyone else, I believe it's the best engine.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Gutty96 wrote: To each their own of course. To me, there is nothing nice about sitting 6" off the road, feeling every pebble and bump, not being able see over or around the vehicle in front of me, and getting "down" into a vehicle.
That's because those vehicles are trucks.

What happens when everyone starts driving CUV's, SUV's and Pickups? Time for a monster truck I guess.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11166 upvotes
derass wrote: That's because those vehicles are trucks.

What happens when everyone starts driving CUV's, SUV's and Pickups? Time for a monster truck I guess.
No not really. I always had good enough line of sight when driving a truck, even when around other big vehicles.

It is just sitting in those little puddle jumpers that bother me.

For clarity though, my daily driver is a Sentra.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: I’d agree with this. If you don’t need the hauling capacity get the 2.7. Slightly more fuel efficient and no negatives.

What’s re you comparing it to? It’s far quieter than most sedans and hatches for example. The “bronco” nature is because it’s a truck, but it’s the most car like ride of any of the half ton trucks.

Agreed, although I think the Ram drives slightly nicer, but as a result has lower payload. The F150 drives better than the GM trucks and better than a lot of cars and SUV's out there

As for the interior, the XLT is the basic trim. Just like with any vehicle, there's different levels when it comes to the interior.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
I find there is a huge difference in interior between the XLT and Lariat. Sometimes they have bigger incentives on the Lariat where the difference between it and the XLT 302A is a no brainer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)