Automotive

Thinking of purchasing/financing a car that may be discontinued? (KIA Stinger)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 2:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 12, 2010
53 posts
5 upvotes

Thinking of purchasing/financing a car that may be discontinued? (KIA Stinger)

Hi,

So I am seriously considering purchasing/financing a 2022 KIA Stinger this year but there have been rumors that it may be discontinued by next year. So I do have a couple questions regarding a car that will be discontinued:

What happens if you need a part to fix the car but the cars discontinued?
Will the repair be unfixable or if not will the repair cost a lot more since parts are more scarce now for a discontinued car?
And lastly would you guys purchase/finance a car that very well may be discontinued in the not to distant future?

Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3342 posts
1937 upvotes
Mississauga
The model (Stinger) being discontinued is different from the brand (Kia) going belly up.

It is no different like when a new redesigned model is launched by Kia or any other car brand. The old model gets discontinued but Parts availability for the older generation will continue both through Kia, their OEMs and aftermarket even after the warranty period.
Mar 31, 2011
446 posts
410 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
10 years supply must be maintained by the manufacturer after model ceases to be sold.
Buying things you don't need is what RFD is all about.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14979 upvotes
RedBlaze wrote: What happens if you need a part to fix the car but the cars discontinued?
You get the part and fix the car.
RedBlaze wrote: Will the repair be unfixable or if not will the repair cost a lot more since parts are more scarce now for a discontinued car?
No. Would be very unlikely for mechanical parts at least. For body/trim parts, yeah they might disappear but then you could get used/yard parts.
RedBlaze wrote: And lastly would you guys purchase/finance a car that very well may be discontinued in the not to distant future?
Sure, and with a name like "RedBlaze" it seems like buying a Hyundai/Kia is right up your alley :lol:

j/k :D
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5265 upvotes
Mississauga
I bought a Pontiac G8 the year GM killed off the division. I had no problem getting parts though they were sometimes expensive because the car was technically a Holden Commodore and were unique to GM Australia.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4106 posts
4306 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It's not really an issue as KIA is in no danger of going out of business.

I didn't purchase the Stinger for other reasons. It no longer being produced would actually be on the plus side for me, would help with resale value which KIA is HORRIBLE at.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
823 upvotes
resale will go down the toilet... it is going from bad (kia) to worse (discontinued kia)
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1963 posts
2687 upvotes
GTA
As others have said you won’t have any issue with parts.

Depreciation/resale will likely be your biggest challenge. Might be an opportunity to see if you can score a great lease with the option to own it afterward or walk away if the car is not what you want.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5934 posts
4379 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I don't think the Stinger will get a resale hit as bad as its regular cars. It may even help when it's discontinued. It's the last of its breed and later on when people regret not buying these cars, will boost up its price.

Don't worry about parts. It's engine is shared with existing Genesis cars so you'll always have the important parts available.
Aug 21, 2020
56 posts
41 upvotes
Blustreak wrote: 10 years supply must be maintained by the manufacturer after model ceases to be sold.
Myth. No such law exists
Aug 20, 2011
133 posts
120 upvotes
Lease it for 5 years and decide after 5 years if you want to keep it
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: I bought a Pontiac G8 the year GM killed off the division. I had no problem getting parts though they were sometimes expensive because the car was technically a Holden Commodore and were unique to GM Australia.
Right, tons of people still have Pontiacs. Lots of people also have cars that are 15+ years old that definitely aren't made the same anymore even if the model is the same. OP, if that's the car you want, you'll be fine in terms of getting access to critical parts. By the time parts start to be a problem (if ever), the car will no longer be cost effective to repair properly anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7887 upvotes
Kitchener
The Stinger GT AWD is surprisingly quick, gave my Model 3 RWD a run for it's money. Stinger resale is crap though, nobody wants a used Kia sports sedan. You'll notice that most car guys who buy Stingers pick them up used because of the terrible resale.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Aug 24th, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
Rob_EV wrote: The Stinger GT AWD is surprisingly quick, gave my Tesla Model 3 RWD a run for it's money. Stinger resale is crap though, nobody wants a used Kia sports sedan. You'll notice that most car guys who buy Stingers pick them up used because of the terrible resale.
Do they drop in a Tesla power train or do an LS swap?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7887 upvotes
Kitchener
Canuck2fan wrote: Do they drop in a Tesla power train or do an LS swap?
It's pretty comparable in factory spec.

How fast is a Kia Stinger GT 0 to 60? 4.7 seconds
Kia says the Stinger GT, equipped with an 8-speed automatic transmission and launch control, will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Canuck2fan wrote: Do they drop in a Tesla power train or do an LS swap?
No, but Rich Rebuilds did/is doing such to a Tesla. LS3 "frunk" mounted.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)