Cell Phones

Thinking of switching to Fizz but not sure about no wifi calling.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2023 11:55 am
Nov 30, 2010
104 posts
2 upvotes

Thinking of switching to Fizz but not sure about no wifi calling.

Hi,

I am currently with Rogers, 20GB for $55+tx. I am thinking of switching to Fizz new 50GB promo for $50. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that I am going to lose wifi calling. I live in the suburb of Québec city and on the last floor of a concrete appartment building. I do WFH 3 days per week and the two other days I need to go to the office. I usually almost never make calls, maybe 4-5 per month to book appointements or stuff like that.

Will I notice any quality drop when doing phone calls? Will reception be weaker at work in a big concrete building?

Do you guys think I can call and try to have a better deal with Rogers to at least offer me 20GIG for $45?

I am using an Iphone 11 Pro.

Thank you for your input.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
I was with Fizz briefly and the signal penetration in the office was pretty bad.
Considering it’s a prepaid service, I suggest to try the cheapest plan they have for a month and go from there.
Nov 30, 2010
104 posts
2 upvotes
I'm sorry to hear that. Were you in a big city? Was your office downtown surrounded by other concrete buildings?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
iphonebleh wrote: I'm sorry to hear that. Were you in a big city? Was your office downtown surrounded by other concrete buildings?
I live in the west end of Ottawa and my workplace is not surrounded by big buildings.
At my desk, signal is good, but as I go further into the building and other areas, signal is non existent.
Nov 30, 2010
104 posts
2 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I live in the west end of Ottawa and my workplace is not surrounded by big buildings.
At my desk, signal is good, but as I go further into the building and other areas, signal is non existent.
Oh I see, but otherwise, was it a problem at home or when driving or walking around town?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
iphonebleh wrote: Oh I see, but otherwise, was it a problem at home or when driving or walking around town?
It was great at home and outside.
I just wanted a more reliable provider when I’m at the office.
Feb 29, 2020
308 posts
106 upvotes
Fido just start offering a $50.00 / 50Gb plan as well for Quebec phone Numbers! You can as well 5 Hours of Unlimited Data and of course Fido Wi-Fi Calling!
iphonebleh wrote: Hi,

I am currently with Rogers, 20GB for $55+tx. I am thinking of switching to Fizz new 50GB promo for $50. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that I am going to lose wifi calling. I live in the suburb of Québec city and on the last floor of a concrete appartment building. I do WFH 3 days per week and the two other days I need to go to the office. I usually almost never make calls, maybe 4-5 per month to book appointements or stuff like that.

Will I notice any quality drop when doing phone calls? Will reception be weaker at work in a big concrete building?

Do you guys think I can call and try to have a better deal with Rogers to at least offer me 20GIG for $45?

I am using an Iphone 11 Pro.

Thank you for your input.
Nov 30, 2010
104 posts
2 upvotes
DeJesus wrote: Fido just start offering a $50.00 / 50Gb plan as well for Quebec phone Numbers! You can as well 5 Hours of Unlimited Data and of course Fido Wi-Fi Calling!
Thanks for the info.

So, it should be the same experience as with Rogers right now right? What is the 5 hours of unlimited Data??
Feb 29, 2020
308 posts
106 upvotes
”Get a Data Boost / That’s 5 hours of unlimited data every month at no extra cost.”

Fido offers an additional 5 Hours of unlimited data through their Application Fido My Account…
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
When are you going to a small company for the same price?

Go with the big 3 or their tier 2 brands...

Paying $50 for shit coverage is insane
The sweetest gyal
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5148 posts
5848 upvotes
Montreal
iphonebleh wrote: Do you guys think I can call and try to have a better deal with Rogers to at least offer me 20GIG for $45?
You could call Rogers 855 381-7834 ask to them to give you credit to lower the price or you will switch/cancel the service.
https://www.rogers.com/support/billing- ... r-provider

If they don't match the price then switch to Koodo now (not Fizz/Fido) and wait for Rogers winback call.

They could easily give you $10 credit off for any Rogers market plan. If they need customers badly then they will give you more credit.
For example, the minimum $10 credit / month
+ $55 20GB Infinite Essential ==> $45/month
+ $60 50GB Infinite Essential ==> $50/month
+ $65 20GB Infinite Extra ==> $55/month

https://www.rogers.com/plans?icid=R_WIR ... O5YF#plans
rogers-targeted-winback-20gb-45-per-mon ... s-2589812/

You could see Koodo able to give $30 credit + tax / month for winback call. So just switch and wait for winback call.
koodo-ymmv-koodo-winback-offer-35-m-50g ... #p37019107
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
vkizzle wrote: I was with Fizz briefly and the signal penetration in the office was pretty bad.
Considering it’s a prepaid service, I suggest to try the cheapest plan they have for a month and go from there.

It's funny, because I had the exact opposite experience also west Ottawa workplace... Fizz had good signal inside, switched to Lucky Mobile and signal very much degraded despite being on Bell towers

I wouldn't hesitate to switch back if Fizz had eSIM support or WiFi calling
Lucky Mobile $20/Month 3GB (unlimited at 128Kbps) further reduced by $5 / month per referral credit(s)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
wally_walrus wrote: It's funny, because I had the exact opposite experience also west Ottawa workplace... Fizz had good signal inside, switched to Lucky Mobile and signal very much degraded despite being on Bell towers
It was annoying for sure.
I would enter a board room that’s on the same floor as my office and I would lose signal.
Feb 15, 2010
83 posts
84 upvotes
Ottawa
on Videotron for 6-7 years and Fizz now for 3 years...and never had a bad experience with signals inside urban areas... I live in rural area so obviously the rogers roaming out here is crap.
inside buildings I've never had much issues. This is 50/50 the fault of the device too...
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
Go their 2nd tier company, Fido.can be Virgin and Koodo also but all offers basically the same as 1 company offers, other one follows.

If Wifi-Calling is important to you, stick with companies that offers so!