Travel

Third party travel booking random flight cancellation - Expedia

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2022 1:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 9, 2011
1656 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto

Third party travel booking random flight cancellation - Expedia

I booked a flight for 8 passenger thru Expedia last month, everything went through very well....

But frustrations and stress started 2 days ago, I thought using Expedia to book car rentals, hotels and flights for a large family trip was suppose to be less stressful.

1. 2 days ago, Received a cancellation email from Expedia that my child's flight is cancelled. I had to call both AC and Expedia CSR, spent 2 hours on the phone. At their ends, my child's flight still remains. They are not sure why the cancellation email was dispatched.

2. Half a day after, Our original 3pm returning flight was cancelled( or moved) , and automatically, Expedia placed all of us on a 1pm without our consent There were 5 flights available that day, I had to call in, spent more than an hour to adjust 8 passengers flight to a much preferred time instead.

3. Today at 3.22am, middle of the night, I received an email from Expedia that 4 of the passengers (including myself) returning flight was cancelled. My Expedia app shows it's cancelled, I checked AC booking, flight still available, our seats were still assigned. Called into Expedia CSR, they said they are not sure why you received a cancellation email, their system shows the reservation still remains. They are not sure why the cancellation email was dispatched.

A friend of mine explained to me that there are many glitches to third party booking recently, What's going on?

Angry Face Angry Face Pouting Face
12 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13752 posts
4114 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
A coworker booked through Expedia. They (a family of five) were returning to Canada from Thailand through Taipei. Their flight from Bangkok to Taipei was cancelled with no other flights available.

They tried to get help from Expedia at the time to rebook and got none.

They ended up having to book new air tickets for five people from Bangkok to Vancouver. They tried for almost a year to get a refund through Expedia.

Finally they got an email from Expedia telling them how to submit their documentation. They did it and waited the “12 to 16 weeks” for processing. After 16 weeks they waited on hold for an hour to talk to someone. Expedia had no records of the documents or the email.

The email had come from Expedia US not Expedia Canada. Expedia Canada said they could not access the documents, they would have to re-sent. The people were not permitted to simply email the documents to Expedia Canada. They had to do it using an online form and wait “12 to 16 weeks” again.

This month, Expedia Canada offered a fair credit, to be used by the end of 2021, on the airline that flies between Bangkok and Taipei but doesn’t fly to Canada. They were offered nothing for their Taipei to Vancouver flight because they didn’t show up for that flight!

They will not be using Expedia again.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 9, 2011
1656 posts
1100 upvotes
Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote: A coworker booked through Expedia. They (a family of five) were returning to Canada from Thailand through Taipei. Their flight from Bangkok to Taipei was cancelled with no other flights available.

They tried to get help from Expedia at the time to rebook and got none.

They ended up having to book new air tickets for five people from Bangkok to Vancouver. They tried for almost a year to get a refund through Expedia.

Finally they got an email from Expedia telling them how to submit their documentation. They did it and waited the “12 to 16 weeks” for processing. After 16 weeks they waited on hold for an hour to talk to someone. Expedia had no records of the documents or the email.

The email had come from Expedia US not Expedia Canada. Expedia Canada said they could not access the documents, they would have to re-sent. The people were not permitted to simply email the documents to Expedia Canada. They had to do it using an online form and wait “12 to 16 weeks” again.

This month, Expedia Canada offered a fair credit, to be used by the end of 2021, on the airline that flies between Bangkok and Taipei but doesn’t fly to Canada. They were offered nothing for their Taipei to Vancouver flight because they didn’t show up for that flight!

They will not be using Expedia again.
That's very frustrating indeed, I know I will not be using Expedia for flying anymore. Last time I used them to fly to Japan with the entire family, there was no problem. Not sure why they are this bad now..
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2306 posts
2375 upvotes
Montréal
It has always been a mess to deal with third party booking when things start going awry. You are adding another layer of complexity for not much benefit in my opinion. Never understood the draw when you can book directly on the airlines and hotel websites. You then deal directly with them instead of having to invite Expedia as a third wheel that just slows things down. Not worth it whatever the discount.

Gets even worse during IRROPS (when part of your itinerary has been flown and there are issues as posted above), direct airline booking will be handled faster for rerouting/hotel than one via Expedia.

One of the first lessons I learned on Flyertalk a long time ago when I was traveling extensively for business was never using third party websites.

Not that any of this helps you know but it has always been this way.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland
Never use third parties !!!!! It’s not cheaper … if it is there is a reason!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15228 posts
20496 upvotes
Vancouver
Energie11 wrote: Never use third parties !!!!! It’s not cheaper … if it is there is a reason!
<shrug>
In June I booked travel to Europe (JFK-MAD-BUD, BUD-LHR-YVR) for this fall using Flighthub. It was significantly cheaper ($900 vs $1300) than booking anywhere else. A few weeks ago I got an email from Iberia that my BUD-LHR segment was cancelled. A day later I got an email from Flighthub saying a change had been made to my reservation. I logged in and there was a cancel trip button, or a phone number to call to make change. I cancelled the trip. Got full refund within days.

Third parties can offer very good value. Not always, but often. Once I found an open-jaw Seattle-Paris, Paris-Vancouver for $400 on CheapoAir. It's definitely worth checking them out.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 8, 2005
6140 posts
1732 upvotes
Energie11 wrote: Never use third parties !!!!! It’s not cheaper … if it is there is a reason!
Yeah, especially now during covid it's best to book directly with the airline if sh** goes down.

Few years back Lufthansa had a strike and I was stuck in Budapest. I was a Expedia "VIP" member and they offered zero help.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
9931 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal, QC
For flights I wouldn't use 3rd parties it's just very difficult if something goes haywire.

Hotels I've done in the past without too any issues but that's mostly because I don't always know all the local spots if I'm traveling and chains like Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott are sometimes very expensive comparably.
Tours I've done half and half.
Member
Aug 12, 2014
480 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto, ON
admiralackbar wrote: It has always been a mess to deal with third party booking when things start going awry. You are adding another layer of complexity for not much benefit in my opinion. Never understood the draw when you can book directly on the airlines and hotel websites. You then deal directly with them instead of having to invite Expedia as a third wheel that just slows things down. Not worth it whatever the discount.

Gets even worse during IRROPS (when part of your itinerary has been flown and there are issues as posted above), direct airline booking will be handled faster for rerouting/hotel than one via Expedia.

One of the first lessons I learned on Flyertalk a long time ago when I was traveling extensively for business was never using third party websites.

Not that any of this helps you know but it has always been this way.
IRROPS handling shouldn't have any difference regardless of booking source, because the flight coupon is under airport control and a competent ground service could rebook quite easily. if there is irrpos issues, usually it's because the person at the airport doesn't want to rebook the passenger on another carrier or the ticket was initially issued badly that it needs to be re issued by the ticket carrier before having airport control access.

yeah, it's never good to book air ticket via 3rd party because one has to subject also 3rd party rules. also, booking thru an airline, you might have a higher chance to be rebooked on another carrier than simple cancellation, since airlines might have more leeway to fix flights that are cancelled before the day of travel. (ex: agreements that give them access to another airline's inventory for a lower price)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: <shrug>
In June I booked travel to Europe (JFK-MAD-BUD, BUD-LHR-YVR) for this fall using Flighthub. It was significantly cheaper ($900 vs $1300) than booking anywhere else. A few weeks ago I got an email from Iberia that my BUD-LHR segment was cancelled. A day later I got an email from Flighthub saying a change had been made to my reservation. I logged in and there was a cancel trip button, or a phone number to call to make change. I cancelled the trip. Got full refund within days.

Third parties can offer very good value. Not always, but often. Once I found an open-jaw Seattle-Paris, Paris-Vancouver for $400 on CheapoAir. It's definitely worth checking them out.
Europe is slightly different (much better) because of EU regulations around flight delays and cancellations being much stricter than here, so you have protections regardless of how you book. In Canada we pretty much have to rely on the customer service of the travel agent/airline so adding a third party is another potential point of failure.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2306 posts
2375 upvotes
Montréal
wirespeed wrote: IRROPS handling shouldn't have any difference regardless of booking source, because the flight coupon is under airport control and a competent ground service could rebook quite easily. if there is irrpos issues, usually it's because the person at the airport doesn't want to rebook the passenger on another carrier or the ticket was initially issued badly that it needs to be re issued by the ticket carrier before having airport control access.

yeah, it's never good to book air ticket via 3rd party because one has to subject also 3rd party rules. also, booking thru an airline, you might have a higher chance to be rebooked on another carrier than simple cancellation, since airlines might have more leeway to fix flights that are cancelled before the day of travel. (ex: agreements that give them access to another airline's inventory for a lower price)
If you are under IRROPS, the ticket is under airline control as you say and Expedia cannot do squat if a third party contractor like Swissport (usually incompetent) at the airport you are at cannot help you. You are stuck.
Jr. Member
Jul 3, 2021
121 posts
83 upvotes
I stopped using 3rd party booking sites after I made a booking for California back in 2016, I figured out after I booked that I wanted more time there and was still within the 24 hour change period but the company wouldn’t budge and when I called westjet they couldn’t help since I used a 3rd party company

I don’t care anymore if it costs more, I’ll always book a flight with the airline
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 27, 2015
6333 posts
4194 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What a joke.

My 2020 flight to Montreal was cancelled, and I was given a $169 credit by ExpediaforTD.

Today, I had to book a flight to Vancouver, and it was listed at $165. Close enough, I figured and didn't mind losing $4.

When I called in (Have to call in to use credits and after a 50 min wait), I was told the "base fare" was $10 more and I would have to pay that.

Even though the flight is less??? HOW THE F does that work?

So a credit of $169 isn't a credit of $169, its a credit for the base fare.

F off, instead of losing $4, I pay $10.

I hope WestJet goes belly up.

Top