Food & Drink

Thirsty ? Like Nestle Tea Products ? Price Hike Alert.

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2016 11:24 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 15, 2008
103 posts
126 upvotes
Kanata

Thirsty ? Like Nestle Tea Products ? Price Hike Alert.

Nestle Honey Ginseng Green Tea (695ml) - It was 99 cents last October here in Ottawa at Rexall Pharmacies and now it's $2.39. That's a 141% hike since last year. A 12 can case of Nestle Lemon Iced Tea is now also $8.79, which is also ridiculous. :mad:

I'm planning on making more of my own iced tea this year.
-
Wins: Coca Cola Contest to see Platinum Blonde/Eye Eye in Halifax in 1986
$500 gift card from Shell in 2017
$500 gift card from Home Hardware in 2017
Various gift cards, t-shirts and hats.
48 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26932 posts
12440 upvotes
canucktunes wrote: I'm planning on making more of my own iced tea this year.
I honestly wonder why more people don't do this in Canada.
In the US I understand since they at least use real tea.
Here in Canada it's terrible.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15779 posts
3356 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I honestly wonder why more people don't do this in Canada.
In the US I understand since they at least use real tea.
Here in Canada it's terrible.
I love the iced tea here. As long as they are using real tea in the ingredient list.
Not many people realize this, but President's choice Iced tea recently quietly removed the tea from their ingredient list.
Now it is no longer called PC 2 litre iced tea.
It is now labeled "President's Choice Ice tea FLAVOURED beverage.
What to expect for only 99 cents (and no tax) though, eh? lol
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2695 upvotes
ON
The first is probably just a removal of the price on the can label, so they can charge what they want without people questioning why it's $2 when it clearly says .99 printed right on the can (if it's the one I'm thinking of)

Pharmacies aren't exactly known for having cheap drinks like this. Closer to convenience store pricing than grocery store pricing (as you've found)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5653 posts
1419 upvotes
Mississauga
canucktunes wrote: Nestle Honey Ginseng Green Tea (695ml) - It was 99 cents last October here in Ottawa at Rexall Pharmacies and now it's $2.39. That's a 141% hike since last year. A 12 can case of Nestle Lemon Iced Tea is now also $8.79, which is also ridiculous. :mad:

I'm planning on making more of my own iced tea this year.
Just buy the arizona one... Taste better anyways...
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4120 posts
923 upvotes
Sask.
Last week I bought 12 Nestea at SDM for 4.49 and there is $1 off coupon on Smartsource.
Here we can get the flavoured big cans like the honey ginseng at London Drugs for .99, right now they are on sale for .88

I sometimes do make our own iced tea - and in summer, I make sun tea.

I like Tetley iced tea in the 2L bottle, there is real brewed tea.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26932 posts
12440 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I love the iced tea here. As long as they are using real tea in the ingredient list.
Not many people realize this, but President's choice Iced tea recently quietly removed the tea from their ingredient list.
Now it is no longer called PC 2 litre iced tea.
It is now labeled "President's Choice Ice tea FLAVOURED beverage.
What to expect for only 99 cents (and no tax) though, eh? lol
Even with real tea it's hideous. It tastes fake for some reason (probably because they use garbage tea and a bunch of random flavorings.

To me "iced tea" should be brewed tea with sugar.
Some people might like a (real) lemon but I don't like the additional acidity.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15779 posts
3356 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: To me "iced tea" should be brewed tea with sugar.
Some people might like a (real) lemon but I don't like the additional acidity.
That's EXACTLY what the PC brand used to taste like (or very close to) before changing their recipe.
(perhaps with some lemon, but very little)
Now, if lucky, you might want to give Soby's store brand a try. If it's still not what you're looking for, I'm sure you'll agree
that it's closer to what you speak of. Nothing like Nestea at all!
It's also currently going for between $1.49 and $1.79 instead of 99 cents, but hey? Quality seems to be there!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18815 posts
1964 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
This drinks are pure dissolved sugar and flavour crystal. If you want some lemadebc or ice tea isn't home made way better? Steep a bag of tea and add honey or put in some lemon
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15779 posts
3356 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: This drinks are pure dissolved sugar and flavour crystal.
I'm still very happy that real Black tea was used.

Lemon Iced Tea (2L)

Ingredients
water, sugar/glucose-fructose, citric acid, natural flavour, black tea, sodium hexametaphosphate, caramel colour, potassium benzoate, potassium citrate, potassium sorbate, phosphoric acid, calcium disodium edta.

Source: https://www.compliments.ca/en/Products/ ... 5574233538
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26932 posts
12440 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Now, if lucky, you might want to give Soby's store brand a try. If it's still not what you're looking for, I'm sure you'll agree
I HIGHLY doubt I'll like it as I'm snobbier towards sweet tea than I am for literally anything else.
Even the US doesn't produce an acceptable bottled sweet tea, so Canada wouldn't have a chance.
This is an example of the best of the worst but even then it's just passable at best:
http://www.goldpeakbeverages.com/tea/go ... -sweet-tea
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15779 posts
3356 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I HIGHLY doubt I'll like it as I'm snobbier towards sweet tea than I am for literally anything else.
Even the US doesn't produce an acceptable bottled sweet tea, so Canada wouldn't have a chance.
This is an example of the best of the worst but even then it's just passable at best:
http://www.goldpeakbeverages.com/tea/go ... -sweet-tea
You'll still notice a huge difference in taste between the store brand @ Sobey's and Nestle or Brisk.
I was surprised.
I thought, being store brand that they'd try to copy one of the name brands, but they didn't.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 15, 2008
103 posts
126 upvotes
Kanata
playnicee1 wrote: I love the iced tea here. As long as they are using real tea in the ingredient list.
Not many people realize this, but President's choice Iced tea recently quietly removed the tea from their ingredient list.
Now it is no longer called PC 2 litre iced tea.
It is now labeled "President's Choice Ice tea FLAVOURED beverage.
What to expect for only 99 cents (and no tax) though, eh? lol
:-/ I guess i'll be avoiding that one now. I used to buy it a while back and liked it but yeah, off the shopping list it goes.
-
Wins: Coca Cola Contest to see Platinum Blonde/Eye Eye in Halifax in 1986
$500 gift card from Shell in 2017
$500 gift card from Home Hardware in 2017
Various gift cards, t-shirts and hats.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 15, 2008
103 posts
126 upvotes
Kanata
playnicee1 wrote: How much WAS it at Walmart before any recent increase? Currently, it's only $6.97 :arrow: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nestea-lemon/6000001848433
I wouldn't know because I don't shop at Walmart. I have several more conveniently located stores. But apparently the $1 off coupon I found via Rexall's site could be used elsewhere for the case of 12, including perhaps Walmart.

I believe the 695 ML can is still about 98 cents at my local Real Canadian Superstores and $1.29 at my local Sobeys. $6.97 is about right for the 12 can case at those stores as well.
-
Wins: Coca Cola Contest to see Platinum Blonde/Eye Eye in Halifax in 1986
$500 gift card from Shell in 2017
$500 gift card from Home Hardware in 2017
Various gift cards, t-shirts and hats.

Top