Food & Drink

Those 500g cheese bars, how do you store it after you open it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2019 5:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4015 posts
1172 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Those 500g cheese bars, how do you store it after you open it?

You know those 500g cheese bars they sell in the super market, usually come in varieties like old fort, medium, marble and mozzarella. I find they are quite challenging to store properly once opened. what does everybody do? sometimes I tried using saran wrap, but my wife cuts it open in such a way she cuts too much plastic so air still gets in and dries it up and can sometimes make it moldy. theyre too big to fit the zip log bags, and once i ran out of saran wrap had no choice but to use foil paper it did not work, and my inlaws just leave it open and shove it in their fridge and the exposed part gets all hard and dried up and mouldy once in a while so we have to cut off the waist and it makes the bars smaller. such a waste. any suggestions or ideas?
Hi
59 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2199 posts
399 upvotes
wax paper and then saran and then in a zip lock. if it's too big, cut it up.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3666 posts
1482 upvotes
Mississauga
Portion, vac pack and freeze.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5722 posts
1049 upvotes
Toronto
Ziploc freezer bag. If buy those bars they usually don't last long enough to warrant a tighter seal.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1252 posts
913 upvotes
Pickering
Ziplock bag for the exposed portion. I flatten as much air out of the zip lock bag as possible, before storing. It normally does a good job of holding up.
I'm going to the convenient store to pick me up a pack of cigarettes...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: freeze.
For 500g?

I get the portion and vacuum pack, but it lasts months.
Does it take you that long to use portioned cheese?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
Open the end, stick a long knife down each side like loosening a cake out of a pan, shake the cheese bar loose so it slides out the open end, cut off what you need, shake the bar back down in the bag, fold over the plastic end and secure with a elastic band.
Sep 21, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver
GoodFellaz wrote: Image

You know those 500g cheese bars they sell in the super market, usually come in varieties like old fort, medium, marble and mozzarella.
I also call it old fort cheese. Even tho fort is french.
Anyway I personally just keep most of the block in the wrapper and the exposed end wrap in either plastic wrap or a small plastic sandwich bad is usually big enough to cover the open area, can use an elastic to hold it together. Or sometimes I just wrap tightly in a grocery bag. But I would be super annoyed if someone just left it totally open, because it's just gonna go moldy/ dry out fast and be wasted.
I eat a ton of cheese tho, so going bad doesn't happen often.
May 25, 2015
193 posts
142 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Always chop it into thirds, and store in a rubbermaid container. Makes it much easier to store if we over shred. Never have an issue and makes the fridge easier to organize/ cleaner.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7550 posts
2719 upvotes
I use my foodsaver to vacuum pack and then reseal when I know I won't be using the cheese for a while.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6170 posts
568 upvotes
BC
I find it always keeps better in the original packaging so I cut the top off and then fold it over the cut part of the cheese, put a sandwich baggy over top and then hold it on with an elastic.

If I'm not gonna eat it all in a reasonable amount of time I vacuum seal a portion of it for a later time.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1830 posts
813 upvotes
London
No Frills wrote: Ziploc freezer bag. If buy those bars they usually don't last long enough to warrant a tighter seal.
Ditto.
Ziplock freezer bag.
Why is it so complicated?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5955 posts
1784 upvotes
Montreal
GoodFellaz wrote: theyre too big to fit the zip log bags
You know that Ziploc bags come in many sizes, right?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3666 posts
1482 upvotes
Mississauga
death_hawk wrote: For 500g?

I get the portion and vacuum pack, but it lasts months.
Does it take you that long to use portioned cheese?
i dont eat much of that type of cheese. Thats why I portion into 100g and freeze.