Automotive

for those that have boats, with gas prices higher, keeping put or taking it on the water

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2022 12:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1563 posts
782 upvotes
toronto

for those that have boats, with gas prices higher, keeping put or taking it on the water

Boy could be an expensive boating season,,,kind of curious at the Marinas if there going to jack up the prices even more than you see at regular gas stations at the gas tanks at the Marina or what i have done before, use jerry cans to fill the boat, done it before,

so fellahs boat comes out or stay put for the season
No advertising in avatars or sigs
29 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12903 posts
2031 upvotes
Toronto
B O A T = Bust Out Another Thousand

It's very much a pay-to-play sort of thing, as you already probably know.
Deal with it.
Dec 4, 2009
694 posts
683 upvotes
All the toys gonna be up for sale soon, it was a Ready, Fire, Aim market the last few years…
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
14043 posts
4722 upvotes
How about making them into EB. Electric boats.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2087 posts
1212 upvotes
Etobicoke
This is going to be an expensive cottage season indeed!
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
3085 posts
3267 upvotes
Sell the cottage to afford to run and live on the boat.... :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5269 posts
3707 upvotes
Ontario
Take up sailing and give everyone's ears a rest.

Beaches are not meant to smell like gasoline.
Oct 18, 2021
149 posts
125 upvotes
This is totally anecdotal. I've been looking to get back into a boat for the last year roughly. Prices last year were absurd due to COVID-19 and many people dumping disposable income into recreational toys. I had a 18ft Monterey Bow rider 5.0L years ago, I think I sold it in 2012 for $18K, I was seeing similar boats selling for basically the same price in 2021. Now that spring is around the corner I've started watching kijiji and marketplace again and am starting to see boats coming out of hibernation, and so far it typically seems to be the larger engine variants. Lots of 4.3L and 5+Ls. The 3.0s that I was seeing a ton of last summer seem to be more scarce. It's still early so we will see how the boat market shapes up once people start taking them out of storage. Based on my old 5.0L I can't imagine filling those tanks now, and burning through it every weekend.

I was also looking for a 9.9 for a 12ft tin boat we have, end of season Merc put through a roughly $600 price increase. I expect the other big 3 will be following suit if they haven't already.
Jul 11, 2017
869 posts
1028 upvotes
RedStrikeCa wrote: Boats are a money pit. Instead try paddle boarding.

(This thread should probably be in a boats forum)
Made $25k off my last 2 boats so no...
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12880 posts
2980 upvotes
Toronto
The super rich don't care.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9891 posts
9461 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: How about making them into EB. Electric boats.
How long of extension cord you need? Nobody is getting batteries. :D

It's patriotic to burn gas. What else do you spend on in your life where 25% of the cost goes to the governments?

You need to help Trudeau for the budget to balance itself!
Oct 18, 2021
149 posts
125 upvotes
I think it will be awhile yet before we get there. Pushing a boat through water is horribly inefficient and the battery weight required for any level of decent range/duration would be quite the weight penalty. Electrification of boats will probably be one of the last area's of transformation as the world moves to electrified mobility.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2842 posts
4022 upvotes
Barrie, ON
No plans on changing any of my fishing plans this year due to fuel prices, I think I spent almost 60 days fishing last year. Time on the water is priceless (to me at least). If you're that worried about fuel costs/fuel mileage boat ownership is not for you. Unless you plan on buying one to sit at the marina every weekend and not take it out?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8870 posts
4455 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Dealfan7 wrote: I think it will be awhile yet before we get there. Pushing a boat through water is horribly inefficient and the battery weight required for any level of decent range/duration would be quite the weight penalty. Electrification of boats will probably be one of the last area's of transformation as the world moves to electrified mobility.
Almost a decade ago, I was staying near a marina up the coast from Vancouver. In comes a speed boat, not floating on the water as it came in but above. It was actually a hydrofoil - which I was told was of Russian origin - the size of a 6 person speed boat. Not certain if it's this one but I wonder what (given similar motor efficiency and payload) fuel consumption was at a high cruising speed.

I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
2237 posts
4363 upvotes
Bevatron wrote: Take up sailing and give everyone's ears a rest.

I love beaches and the smell of gasoline....mmmm
Fido 20GB $35
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17145 posts
12614 upvotes
Toronto
I had to move my super yacht to the Maldives.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2632 posts
1557 upvotes
Ontario
Bevatron wrote: Take up sailing and give everyone's ears a rest.

Exaggerate more. Please lets hear more lies about boating.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3015 posts
1363 upvotes
GTA
Swerny wrote: I had to move my super yacht to the Maldives.
This person 'garchs
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1582 posts
2326 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Almost a decade ago, I was staying near a marina up the coast from Vancouver. In comes a speed boat, not floating on the water as it came in but above. It was actually a hydrofoil - which I was told was of Russian origin - the size of a 6 person speed boat. Not certain if it's this one but I wonder what (given similar motor efficiency and payload) fuel consumption was at a high cruising speed.

Hydrofoils are cool, there is at least one company making electric hydrofoils. https://candela.com/ Range of 50 nautical miles (92km), would be perfect on most Canadian lakes.

But the big thing the last 10-15 years has been wake boats for wake boarding, which are specifically designed to make huge wakes for wake boarders. In the last couple years it's been a lot more wake "surfing" boats, where the boat is designed to create a big wave right behind it - you can surf on the wake without a tow rope. Both these types of boats have huge ballast tanks to pump water into, so they sit lower in the water to create the big waves - as such these things can burn up to 30L per hour doing wake surfing. Less just driving around with no ballast, but by no means efficient.

Personally I'd rather get something like one of these electric hydrofoil boards, which is like a wake board with a hydrofoil attached. Have seen a few of these running around the lake and they look like a lot of fun. https://liftfoils.com/ Little bit pricey still... but on the other hand, wake boats start at around $65,000, plus you'll spend a lot in fuel every year if you use them any significant amount. $60/hr on fuel makes wake boarding an extremely expensive sport - possibly the most expensive sport?