Health & Wellness

those with nose congestion, stuffy nose, what is best thing you use?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2019 12:25 am
Tags:
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
55 posts
23 upvotes

those with nose congestion, stuffy nose, what is best thing you use?

To the people out there who suffer from daily nose congestion and breathing issues through the nose what product do you swear by and use that is best you found?
11 replies
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
Rinse with saltwater if you can
Use something like salinex or simple remedy as drops.
Wash your nose often and stay hydrated
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3166 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Allergy related or just regular congestion? Think first step would be to have it looked at to determine what is going on.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
55 posts
23 upvotes
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Allergy related or just regular congestion? Think first step would be to have it looked at to determine what is going on.
regular congestion
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Drink more water? Maybe you are constantly dehydrated? I'm stuffed up when I wake up and/or dehydrated. But I'm okay after I drink some water.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1791 posts
1181 upvotes
Vancouver
For me, vacuuming more thoroughly (under the bed, all the edges of the room) and more frequently seems to help. You can also try a nasal rinse like Neilmed.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2631 upvotes
GTA West
You have to determine the cause first - have your doctor look at it. I would avoid decongestants lie Drixoral or Otrivin. They work but are addictive. I use them very rarely, only when I need to keep my nose open to sleep.

The saline rinses and sprays are good but you pay a lot for salt water when they put it in a spray bottle! But that is my preferred treatment now during periods of nasal congestion.

I have also used the protective sprays like Flonase and Nasonex and while they work, I find they sometimes lead to throat problems like thrush.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
I'd also take a look at your house....do you have carpet throughout and how is your furnance air filter?

I used to suffer bad nasal congestion growing up and then I moved out into my own house.

Old house had old carpet throughout, new one is all hardwood. And I have a Carrier high efficiency furnace with a good air filter.

It's like night and day!! Been living on my own for the last 5yrs and my nasal breathing has cleared up. I don't have bad allergies either.

Everytime I visit my parent's house, I sneeze like crazy and my dad is still suffering like I was. I told my parents to rip out all their carpet but they don't listen.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
499 upvotes
Saline nasal rinse (neti pot or the squeeze bottle kind) has worked wonders for me, whether my congestion is due to allergies, cold, or sinus infection (the last of which I used to get chronically over the winter months and are now almost gone entirely since I started using my neti pot).

The volume of water that flows through your sinuses with a nasal rinse manually clears everything out much better than something like hydrasense, and it’s way cheaper as you mix the saline solution yourself as needed from packets or from tubs of nasal rinse salt that you can buy at natural food stores (I like the Nasaline brand squip salt, it dissolves well and doesn’t burn, and you can get an 8oz tub of it that will make around 100 doses for around ten bucks). Just be sure to use boiled and cooled water or distilled water to mix with the salt, I used to use tap water until I read about the potential for brain-eating amoebas when using tap water to mix nasal rinse solution (yeah, I thought it was a joke too, but google it).

It takes a few tries to get used to the process (the angle to hold your head at while the water flows through so it doesn’t go down your throat and you can still breathe comfortably through your mouth, getting the temperature of the water just right), but once you figure it out it will change your life. I still use a prescription steroid spray when I have a sinus infection or very bad allergies, but I need to use it much less when I’m consistent with the neti pot.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
3228 posts
499 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
The saline rinses and sprays are good but you pay a lot for salt water when they put it in a spray bottle! But that is my preferred treatment now during periods of nasal congestion.

I have also used the protective sprays like Flonase and Nasonex and while they work, I find they sometimes lead to throat problems like thrush.
See my above post re: buying the nasal rinse salt and mixing your own saline as needed. You’ll save a ton of money vs pre-mixed saline, and the volume of water flowing through with a neti pot/squeeze bottle nasal rinse will clear everything out much more efficiently than when using a stream or spray bottle.

As for the prescription sprays, try doing a slow steady breath in through your nose as you spray, you’re much less likely to draw the steroid into the back of your throat doing this than if you sniff. You can also gargle after using the spray as you would after using Flovent or Advair inhalers. My doctor suggested these strategies to me and I’ve managed to never get thrush despite being on all kinds of steroid puffers and sprays over the years, so I hope it’s helpful for you as well. I’m always paranoid about getting thrush when I use steroids, it sounds horrible.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)