Travel

For those travelling, what are your plans if you test positive when attempting to return?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 3:23 pm
[OP]
Jul 3, 2021
121 posts
83 upvotes

For those travelling, what are your plans if you test positive when attempting to return?

I’ve seen lots of discussions about how and where people are getting their test when they plan to return but no real discussions or thoughts on what happens if they or someone they are travelling with test positive

With the new delta variant you can be fully vaxxed and still carry the virus which I assume will make a test return positive without any symptoms

I myself have an upcoming family trip booked end of October and when I booked it back in June the thought of this wasn’t in my head, I had credits that I had to use or would have expired now I’m weighing the pros and cons of travelling especially with one under 12
32 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1547 posts
419 upvotes
My contingency plan if travelling in the USA is to take a domestic flight to a border city (i.e. Buffalo) and rent a car to drive across the border.

CBSA cannot turn away a citizen at the border and as long as you attempt to meet the requirements (PCR covid test and ArriveCan) I'm certain they will let you in.

They may compel you to stay at a facility until you test negative based on what I've read, however, its unlikely they would go this route if you have a quarantine plan in the ArriveCan app.
[OP]
Jul 3, 2021
121 posts
83 upvotes
smokescreen15 wrote: My contingency plan if travelling in the USA is to take a domestic flight to a border city (i.e. Buffalo) and rent a car to drive across the border.

CBSA cannot turn away a citizen at the border and as long as you attempt to meet the requirements (PCR covid test and ArriveCan) I'm certain they will let you in.

They may compel you to stay at a facility until you test negative based on what I've read, however, its unlikely they would go this route if you have a quarantine plan in the ArriveCan app.
That was mine too but all the car rental places aren’t doing one way rentals, the only place I found is uhaul
Sep 12, 2019
79 posts
115 upvotes
Rfdinyyc wrote: That was mine too but all the car rental places aren’t doing one way rentals, the only place I found is uhaul
I travelled earlier in the year to the US and couldn’t find a car rental return. That said, at airports in border towns the taxis will take you across the border and straight home. I travelled from Buffalo to Toronto without any issues and then proceeded to do my quarantine which was required at the time. It cost me something like 300 USD.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7612 posts
1683 upvotes
Scarborough
It will simply delay your return plans.
If you test positive you just deal with it......its same as getting it here, u won't be going to work 14 days until recovery.

Ofcourse it depends on your airline, their policies, etc. This is why its now more important to see and choose the airline so that you're not left stranded or without help.
Or trying to contact some call center with long wait times........gotta be smart. Depending on destination etc and its airlines pick one that perhaps has a physical office there so u can go and get dates changed in one visit. Or have some reliable travel agent there to help you...

Even the likes of emirates/etihad have shown poor customer service when IRROPS happened (even before covid), and when countries closed borders these airlines left their customers without help or contact.....so be careful. I would avvoid these 2 airlines and rather go with Qatar/Turkish as they've been better during covid.

If you're fully vaxxed its no issue, go for it.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1547 posts
419 upvotes
AdonisP91 wrote: I travelled earlier in the year to the US and couldn’t find a car rental return. That said, at airports in border towns the taxis will take you across the border and straight home. I travelled from Buffalo to Toronto without any issues and then proceeded to do my quarantine which was required at the time. It cost me something like 300 USD.
Would the taxi companies take you if you tested positive?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1547 posts
419 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:

If you're fully vaxxed its no issue, go for it.
Even if you are fully vaxxed its still an issue as many countries still want a negative covid test prior to allowing entry.
Sep 12, 2019
79 posts
115 upvotes
smokescreen15 wrote: Would the taxi companies take you if you tested positive?
Oh right, that part. My bad. The taxi service wouldn’t ask but certainly no one should be exposing another human knowing they have the virus, so my option is no good. To do what I mentioned would be, or at least should be, criminal. Prior to delta the risk of transmitting the virus when vaxxed and infected was low but new studies show even fully vaxxed people can transmit the delta variant so someone with a breakthrough case should not put essential workers at risk.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6147 posts
1734 upvotes
If you are not willing to take the risk, then just stay home.
Mar 8, 2004
777 posts
609 upvotes
Kanata
This is the reason we decided to stay in Canada this summer. We were thinking of Caribbean. Even if the risk is low, the consequences could be high of testing positive and not being able to come home. Missed work, missed school, extra cost of hotels and flights.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland
I would rent a hotel room and stay for a few days. Basically it.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1075 posts
397 upvotes
Does anyone know of any travel insurance that would provide coverage in the event of this happening?

Seems like most insurance companies consider covid as a known event and is excluded as a reason for claiming trip interruption benefits.

Looking around I could only find Manulife provides coverage for this but only for trips 31 days or longer.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Mar 11, 2018
44 posts
37 upvotes
smokescreen15 wrote: Would the taxi companies take you if you tested positive?
Taxi companies don't ask for proof before you get in. It's incredibly irresponsible and douchey if you know you're positive, but if you're not showing symptoms they'd have to reason to suspect to reject you.
Mar 11, 2018
44 posts
37 upvotes
gumby_ng wrote: This is the reason we decided to stay in Canada this summer. We were thinking of Caribbean. Even if the risk is low, the consequences could be high of testing positive and not being able to come home. Missed work, missed school, extra cost of hotels and flights.
My coworker booked a trip to India for a month because their numbers were low and since they manufacture vaccines domestically, she assumed she'd probably be able to get vaxxed in India sooner than she would in Canada.

And then while she was there the situation basically reversed and she got stuck there.
Mar 8, 2004
777 posts
609 upvotes
Kanata
evange wrote: My coworker booked a trip to India for a month because their numbers were low and since they manufacture vaccines domestically, she assumed she'd probably be able to get vaxxed in India sooner than she would in Canada.

And then while she was there the situation basically reversed and she got stuck there.
Don't think I will be willing to travel anywhere where it isn't 100% guaranteed we will be able to come back on the day we plan to (other than regular travel delays of course). The consequences are too much to be worth it for us. Maybe if I was young and single or older and retired.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2036 posts
2898 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm fully vaccinated and headed to Portugal to see my wife, since we've been apart since August 2019 due to COVID delays destroying our spousal sponsorship plans. I can do 90% of my work remotely, but if I wasn't able to work out an arrangement with the office or became sick enough that I had to take an unpaid leave of absence instead, well... I have enough savings.

I'm absolutely worried about the delta variant, but I'll be taking all possible precautions and my wife's scheduled for her second dose a few days after I arrive.

I've had coworkers who travelled during the pandemic: flying to Europe on empty planes, heading down to Miami to get plastic surgery. Having been super cautious for the past 18 months, I wouldn't have gone on either of those trips, but I've decided I'm okay with the risk involved in seeing my wife, and that's all I can do.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6147 posts
1734 upvotes
gumby_ng wrote: Don't think I will be willing to travel anywhere where it isn't 100% guaranteed we will be able to come back on the day we plan to (other than regular travel delays of course). The consequences are too much to be worth it for us. Maybe if I was young and single or older and retired.
100% guarantee? Flight can be canceled, the plane can crash during take off and landing. Or getting shot at...
Mar 8, 2004
777 posts
609 upvotes
Kanata
mebiuspower wrote:
100% guarantee? Flight can be canceled, the plane can crash during take off and landing. Or getting shot at...
Guess you glossed over my remark in parentheses where I said other than regular travel delays. And for regular travel delays, the airline will take care of you and it won't be days on end in quarantine to get a negative test. Test positive before coming home and you are on your own.

For the catastrophic events I won't be worried about whether I can get back into the country or not.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9940 posts
1883 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I think that's a fair concern but also acknowledge that "back to 100% normal" may be further than we think (remember when we thought COVID would be done in a month or two?), between variants and many countries (especially the poorer ones) being unable to secure vaccines, some of these restrictions might be here to stay or will be added/removed as variants emerge.

So it's a risk assessment for every traveler and their group how they want to navigate (or not) this new transition period.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6147 posts
1734 upvotes
It's no longer a pandemic but an endemic. Travel will not be 100% guarantee of anything for at least a few more years.