Real Estate

For those waiting for a 50-70% price correction - Advice from ‘Broke Millennial’ on how to live with your parents

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2017 4:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes

For those waiting for a 50-70% price correction - Advice from ‘Broke Millennial’ on how to live with your parents

For those calling for a 50-70% correction, I found this article for you. Living with parents isn't so bad compared to renting, if lifestyle permits.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/advice ... 2017-06-01
  • Don’t take advantage of your parents’ kindness.
  • If you’re not paying rent, do every favor that’s asked of you.
  • Keep your room clean, if that’s your parents’ preference.
  • Respect your parents’ schedules.
  • Don’t ask for entertainment money.
  • Pay for the bills you can afford to cover.
  • Be nice! Don’t revert to being a sullen teenager.

My action list for making the most of living at home
  1. This isn’t an excuse for mindless spending.
  2. Finding a job is your job.
  3. Say “Yes” to every favor.
  4. You can still date.
  5. Have a plan and talk it over with your parents. --> Please don't suggest that you will leave once the r/e prices drop by 50%
49 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2003
3708 posts
463 upvotes
But Mark said the crash happened in 2013 and it's just the sales mix that made the prices look higher. Didn't all the bears buy a cheap house already?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there. But it is still there... every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11186 posts
9673 upvotes
Mark77 he's caused more grief to those who listened to him than Garth.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
9331 posts
1368 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Your number 4 is impossible according to half of RFD
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
758 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: Your number 4 is impossible according to half of RFD
Parents will be all over your new gf or bf lol. And if you want to marry your gf or bf, it will need to be "parents approved".
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9618 posts
851 upvotes
Muskoka
Mark77 also said years ago that PGF was a screaming buy under $10, it's been around $1 since, lol
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 13, 2016
3713 posts
3212 upvotes
Bullseye wrote: Mark77 also said years ago that PGF was a screaming buy under $10, it's been around $1 since, lol
Maybe it's a good buy now?
Banned
Feb 13, 2017
951 posts
1271 upvotes
50-70%?

I'm waiting for that 100-120% crash to get me a detached finally :)

A few more months!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 2, 2013
5533 posts
1417 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I just bought twice in another market, lol. At some later point in my life when I can finally afford a place in GVA, GTA, then we will see what happens! For now won't even pay attention to it.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Banned
Nov 18, 2014
824 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jon Lai wrote: That would mean it's free, or someone is paying you to buy their house.. this ain't Detroit.
Not saying it will happen here, but what did people say in detroit before the fall? Was it something along the lines of real estate can only go up and to the moooooooooon.
Banned
User avatar
May 8, 2017
458 posts
735 upvotes
Awww, poor bagholders. Getting testy now that their biggest (and only) investment is at risk. Talk to your doctor about Xanax.
_____
Housing bear who won't be a bear forever.
Follow my journey through the Toronto housing bubble on Twitter: @SoSudsy
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11186 posts
9673 upvotes
rkanwar109 wrote: Not saying it will happen here, but what did people say in detroit before the fall? Was it something along the lines of real estate can only go up and to the moooooooooon.
Your comparing a city in decay and history of riots and racism to Toronto?

If we start having that here then surely we can see rows and rows of abandoned homes which you can take what you like.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1878 upvotes
Ontario
SmugDruggler wrote: Awww, poor bagholders. Getting testy now that their biggest (and only) investment is at risk. Talk to your doctor about Xanax.
As someone who is neither a bull or bear, I find this funny.

Not quite as funny though as watching someone eat stale popcorn waiting since 2007 funny. But still. Funny. ;)
Banned
User avatar
May 8, 2017
458 posts
735 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: Your comparing a city in decay and history of riots and racism to Toronto?
Granted a Toronto to Detroit comparison isn't something I'd do either, but I think, Sanyo, that you have too high an opinion of your home town. Toronto ain't Manhattan either.
_____
Housing bear who won't be a bear forever.
Follow my journey through the Toronto housing bubble on Twitter: @SoSudsy
Banned
User avatar
May 8, 2017
458 posts
735 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: As someone who is neither a bull or bear, I find this funny.

Not quite as funny though as watching someone eat stale popcorn waiting since 2007 funny. But still. Funny. ;)
I've broken out the popcorn twice. Once in 2009 and about two months ago. I think this time I'll make kettle corn. It has the sweetness of victory and the saltiness of debtowners tears.
Last edited by SmugDruggler on Jun 2nd, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_____
Housing bear who won't be a bear forever.
Follow my journey through the Toronto housing bubble on Twitter: @SoSudsy
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 5, 2003
3708 posts
463 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote: As someone who is neither a bull or bear, I find this funny.

Not quite as funny though as watching someone eat stale popcorn waiting since 2007 funny. But still. Funny. ;)
Maybe in 2007 he was calling the 1989 bubble. In that case he was spot on!
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there. But it is still there... every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11186 posts
9673 upvotes
SmugDruggler wrote: Granted a Toronto to Detroit comparison isn't something I'd do either, but I think, Sanyo, that you have too high an opinion of your home town. Toronto ain't Manhattan either.
It's not but my point is millennials there can always scream and shout for Manhattan to become "affordable" but it never will be... much of downtown and midtown Toronto will be this way as well.
Banned
User avatar
May 8, 2017
458 posts
735 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: It's not but my point is millennials there can always scream and shout for Manhattan to become "affordable" but it never will be... much of downtown and midtown Toronto will be this way as well.
We're about to go in circles. You'll refuse to define "affordable" as anything specific and I'll keep pressing for an empirical way to define affordable. Ready? Go!
_____
Housing bear who won't be a bear forever.
Follow my journey through the Toronto housing bubble on Twitter: @SoSudsy
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11186 posts
9673 upvotes
SmugDruggler wrote: We're about to go in circles. You'll refuse to define "affordable" as anything specific and I'll keep pressing for an empirical way to define affordable. Ready? Go!
Buying ANY PLACE... affordable... even a shack in a Manhattan condo building...

Top