Careers

Those who should use LinkedIN, are you using LinkedIN?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2021 8:39 pm
Tags:

Poll: Do you actively use or maintain a LinkedIN Profile?

• Total votes: 52. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

65%
No

23%
Deactivated it

12%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1552 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA

Those who should use LinkedIN, are you using LinkedIN?

It almost seems like if you're not on LinkedIN, you're a corporate outcast (I'd even argue a social-outcast).
Again, this is assuming you should be on LinkedIN e.g. work in STEM, Finance, Corporate World.
I feel like LI isn't too useful for healthcare professionals?

Anyway, curious to see what % of those who should be on LI, are using it...
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9150 upvotes
The NORTH
Isn't this just facebook for professionals?

Had it 7 or 8 years ago, haven't used it since setting it up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1552 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
kr0zet wrote: Isn't this just facebook for professionals?

Had it 7 or 8 years ago, haven't used it since setting it up.
Yes and no, it is like Facebook in that people post professional and personal (cringe) milestones.
However, the recruiting and job aggregation aspect makes it not really social media...

What industry/position are you in and why aren't you using it?
Sep 28, 2013
793 posts
559 upvotes
While all the contrived feel good BS on LinkedIn irritates me and I sometimes want to delete it, I realize that it's a hindrance in my field in terms of career advancement and downside protection. Get a pretty steady stream of recruiters hitting me up and if I were suddenly laid off or found my current job intolerable, it would feel like starting from square 1 without some kind of presence / rolodex. That's not even counting the angle of keep in touch with clients.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
I have it, but I don't really use it beyond accepting requests from people. Honestly I just don't have the mental capacity to do work-related stuff outside of work requirements. Can't bring myself to look at it.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1145 posts
1880 upvotes
Canada
Just saw a former coworker got promoted to a director job so I reached out to congratulate. Got a response back and a possible lead for a job with this coworker.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1552 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
kimmelite wrote: Just saw a former coworker got promoted to a director job so I reached out to congratulate. Got a response back and a possible lead for a job with this coworker.
This.

For certain careers, the networking and job leads are very valuable.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7215 posts
2242 upvotes
0 downvotes
it was a nice platform till people started to facebook-ify it and now just post meaningless stuff and turning it into a social network.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7215 posts
2242 upvotes
0 downvotes
A bunch of us, Myself, my brother in law, my uncle, my cousin, my father in law, and a co-worker of mine, we all have a linked in account, but we dont post anything, we just strictly go on there to get relative info but we dont post, we dont comment, etc, apparently people who dont post are highly regarded and respected. i was told by my brother in law its the best thing to do on there u dont want to say sometihng inappropriate or against your companys code of conduct so keeping quiet on there is the best thing, i hope this trend catches on to more people
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5119 posts
2968 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: A bunch of us, Myself, my brother in law, my uncle, my cousin, my father in law, and a co-worker of mine, we all have a linked in account, but we dont post anything, we just strictly go on there to get relative info but we dont post, we dont comment, etc, apparently people who dont post are highly regarded and respected. i was told by my brother in law its the best thing to do on there u dont want to say sometihng inappropriate or against your companys code of conduct so keeping quiet on there is the best thing, i hope this trend catches on to more people
Life too short to care about what other people might think IMO. Especially coming out of Covid. The conversations on LinkedIn I've seen have been more real and open. I hope that trend continues to the benefit of us all.
May 9, 2016
69 posts
28 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: A bunch of us, Myself, my brother in law, my uncle, my cousin, my father in law, and a co-worker of mine, we all have a linked in account, but we dont post anything, we just strictly go on there to get relative info but we dont post, we dont comment, etc, apparently people who dont post are highly regarded and respected. i was told by my brother in law its the best thing to do on there u dont want to say sometihng inappropriate or against your companys code of conduct so keeping quiet on there is the best thing, i hope this trend catches on to more people
I don't think your brother-in-law understands that LinkedIn is about building connections. You can't do that in silence.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2301 posts
1064 upvotes
Alberta
2009M5 wrote: It almost seems like if you're not on LinkedIN, you're a corporate outcast (I'd even argue a social-outcast).
Again, this is assuming you should be on LinkedIN e.g. work in STEM, Finance, Corporate World.
I feel like LI isn't too useful for healthcare professionals?

Anyway, curious to see what % of those who should be on LI, are using it...
I’m in finance and get a lot of recruiters contacting me through my linked in profile. So works for me.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7215 posts
2242 upvotes
0 downvotes
VanIsBest wrote: I don't think your brother-in-law understands that LinkedIn is about building connections. You can't do that in silence.
Anyone can make a connection on there, i have 1000's of connections and have never said a peep to anyone nor made one post. The thing they dont tell you the more stuff you post the more at risk you are of getting spammed or hacked so its best to keep quiet, everyone i know yes im being serious does not post on there and we have 1000;s of connections and such, the only thing posting does it makes it look more like face book which we dont like, no body likes another face book
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Apr 28, 2010
138 posts
57 upvotes
I've had Linkedin since university when the thing first started and only just dump all my work experience on there from time to time to casually fish for interviews or consulting requests. Otherwise i don't pay attention to any of the influencer crap that's on there at all.
Feb 5, 2019
39 posts
50 upvotes
Like everyone here, I find the influencer crap to be really irritating.

With that said, I have found the job leads to be very beneficial for me and it has made me acutely aware of my market value in the event that things go bad in my current job.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7215 posts
2242 upvotes
0 downvotes
yup not only do we have instagram and youtube influencers, but we now have linkedin influencers. lord help us all!
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5119 posts
2968 upvotes
The influencers can be annoying but I either block or move on to the next post. Honestly, if you can’t beat em, join em. LinkedIn is a good way to promote yourself, outside of your own company. IMO just make sure you practice what you preach when sharing.

Basically, LinkedIn can strategically back up your resume with concrete examples; thus making the interview process less exhausting as they already have an insight into you, and they liked you enough to invite you (assuming they looked at your profile). If you’re a young professional it’s an excellent tool.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2008
1056 posts
402 upvotes
Markham
LinkedIn has been absolutely invaluable for me. It functions as a pretty awful social network and I cringe at the level of self promotion and low value content on it. I also dislike the amount of marketing/ads, say if I click on a company profile, I would then be bombarded with ads on multiple platforms for the next month. I do follow some people/companies of interest and enjoy some of the content that comes out, say if an adjacent company has a new product or service out etc.

That being said, my last two offers came via recruiters that were able to reach out to me via LinkedIn Premium. Likewise, I noticed the number of relevant 'cold' reach outs from recruiters skyrocketed after subscribing to premium. Premium also provides a limited amt of 'IN messages' which allows you to DM recruiters or relevant staff for particular companies you are interested in - thereby allowing you to introduce yourself and bypass resume filters. I've also used the company staff growth and churn statistics which grant insight into the startups I'm interested in joining. Along with teamblind and levels.fyi, they have been essential for getting the best and most rewarding opportunities

My job listings are 70/20/10 split between LinkedIn, company direct, or existing networking opportunities.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20531 posts
13922 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What it might come down to is how your profile presents itself on LinkedIn to others... After all, for most who are searching LinkedIn for candidates, that profile is the first contact from which they make an initial impression. The ones with a better profile should get the looks while the others are bypassed.

One thing I do hate about LinkedIn is the lack of political moderation - you see nut jobs posting completely non-professional items like pictures of Trump and calling him the best President that has ever lived. I don't care if you love him or hate him, the posting itself has no professional value.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1552 posts
759 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
craftsman wrote: What it might come down to is how your profile presents itself on LinkedIn to others... After all, for most who are searching LinkedIn for candidates, that profile is the first contact from which they make an initial impression. The ones with a better profile should get the looks while the others are bypassed.

One thing I do hate about LinkedIn is the lack of political moderation - you see nut jobs posting completely non-professional items like pictures of Trump and calling him the best President that has ever lived. I don't care if you love him or hate him, the posting itself has no professional value.
It's usually boomers who do that, no idea why they feel to share personal content on LinkedIN.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)