Thanks
8 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9543 posts
4746 upvotes
Markham
torontotim wrote: Why not call one and ask?
Because they want money and i am not sure they care too much about law
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2149 posts
607 upvotes
Kitchener
My gardener called and said he's not allowed to go out and service lawns. So no spring cleanup, lawn cutting, seeding, fertilising or winter cleanup for me. Good thing I saved my old push reel. It'll save me some $, but it will cost me physical labour. Not a big deal considering how much time I've now got. Any recommendations for good shade and some sun/shade mix grass seeds. Just read some reviews on Scotts, and they were not good.
Good luck. maybe find a neighbour kid to do your grass, leave $ under rock.
Apr 29, 2007
636 posts
307 upvotes
Richmond Hill
They're definitely working in my neighborhood in Toronto.
I don't know what the law says but it doesn't bother me much as it's really just one guy on someone's lawn.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3235 posts
2198 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Because they want money and i am not sure they care too much about law
You're not breaking the law by hiring them - they're breaking the law by doing the work, if they in fact are not supposed to be doing it.

It's a little vague. Maintenance is an essential business category. Long grass is a health hazard, a fire hazard etc. The city will fine you for not cutting your grass. Some home owners are not able to cut their own lawns for a variety of reasons.

So... I'd be surprised if they don't allow this sort of solitary, outdoor work to continue. Sure, the problem is the guy cutting your lawn is just one more person going to the shop for lawnmower parts, stopping at the gas station etc. etc. but they have to strike a balance between shutting the entire economy down and the risk posed.

The bloody Tim Hortons is open near my place and people are walking up to the take-out window (not a drive-thru, there is actually a sidewalk take out window) and buying coffee and donuts. TOTALLY non-essential, but there's a kid in there taking the bus to work, truck drivers bringing supplies to the store, garbage collectors picking up the trash... all because Tim Horton's needs to sell a donut.

Maintenance

Maintenance, repair and property management services strictly necessary to manage and maintain the safety, security, sanitation and essential operation of institutional, commercial, industrial and residential properties and buildings.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28983 posts
14606 upvotes
Toronto
My next door neighbor’s landscaping company worked on their yards last weekend (gathering and bagged up leaves)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15943 posts
13191 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
To be honest I don’t know ...
The RULES seem to change every.frickin.day
You got Federal / Provincial / Regional / Municipal layers to consider as well
:rolleyes:

And who the H-E-double hockey sticks
Defines ESSENTIAL ?
Like @torontotim
I don’t get how a Coffee Place serving take out coffee is essential

Seriously ... people cannot make their damn coffee at home ?
Or fill a thermos ?
What has our world come to ?

Lawn & Yard Maintenance in my mind would be tons more ESSENTIAL
(As is snow removal )

Especially where we have so many people over 60 now
Who are HIGH RISK
And being told to literally STAY INSIDE ... DONT GO OUT AT ALL

The guy home now from work in his 20s, 30, 40s, maybe even 50s
Might find passing time working on his yard / lawn
A good diversion ... and a chance to get outside

But the older pop is definitely stressed about their yard clean up
And this is the group that typically find gardening so enjoyable, rewarding ... relaxing even
Now they are all worried about how their houses look in the neighbourhood
And how they’ll get their lawns cut etc

On a good note ...
I saw a GOOD NEWS Story yesterday where somewhere (think it was in the USA)
Volunteers were out cutting their neighbours lawns
That was awesome

So folks ... got a shut in neighbour ?
Phone em up and tell them you will cut their grass the day you do your own
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4518 posts
1096 upvotes
smartie wrote: Try to find a company cut grass, not sure whether they are allowed to work now
Landscaping services are considered essential services under the Maintenance category. It's up to individual maintenance, repair and property management services companies to decide whether or not they should continue being open.
torontotim wrote: The bloody Tim Hortons is open near my place and people are walking up to the take-out window (not a drive-thru, there is actually a sidewalk take out window) and buying coffee and donuts. TOTALLY non-essential, but there's a kid in there taking the bus to work, truck drivers bringing supplies to the store, garbage collectors picking up the trash... all because Tim Horton's needs to sell a donut.
Tim Hortons is being legit here and following the provincial advice. Under the Food category, 1.) They're a restaurant; and 2.) They're selling via take out only.