Automotive

thought process for getting a carcam

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2015 8:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal

thought process for getting a carcam

I'm just confused by some ppl that get carcams. If you're getting it just to record your trip and don't need it when you're away from the car, then no prb. However, if in addition you are using it as a security measure and recording when away from the car, why would you get one that huge/conspicuous? Totally defeats the whole purpose then, no? That's why I like my 808 and those mobius cams. Other ones are just too bulky.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
A mobius stealth install is the way to go
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22399 posts
3276 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: I'm just confused by some ppl that get carcams. If you're getting it just to record your trip and don't need it when you're away from the car, then no prb. However, if in addition you are using it as a security measure and recording when away from the car, why would you get one that huge/conspicuous? Totally defeats the whole purpose then, no? That's why I like my 808 and those mobius cams. Other ones are just too bulky.
Deterrent.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20791 posts
6261 upvotes
GTA
I have a A118 that's pretty low profile and hides at the dot-matrix area behind the rear view mirror.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2009
2523 posts
1827 upvotes
GTA
neverhaveiever wrote: A mobius stealth install is the way to go
Whats a stealth install? do you have pics of videos?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
Akizuki wrote: Whats a stealth install? do you have pics of videos?

I don't. But it is when you use a lens extension to hide the main unit. Depending on your vehicle you can have nothing but the lens showing and even then it can be made to look like a rain sensor.

You can barely see my camera both in and out of the vehicle. When I point it out people say they thought it was a garage door opener
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2009
2523 posts
1827 upvotes
GTA
neverhaveiever wrote: I don't. But it is when you use a lens extension to hide the main unit. Depending on your vehicle you can have nothing but the lens showing and even then it can be made to look like a rain sensor.

You can barely see my camera both in and out of the vehicle. When I point it out people say they thought it was a garage door opener
My mobius is right behind my rear mirror by the passenger side. I cant see it when Im driving since the mirror is blocking it, but I dont think its stealth. Wanted to see how other set their mobius up to see if I can hide mine better.
Jr. Member
Apr 6, 2015
133 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
How do you install a mobius without seeing how it's positioned?
I'm looking to do a rear and front install. Does it run 24/7 without exploding? I currently have a G1W and it runs continuous due to my lighter jack.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
993 upvotes
GTA
What's the best camera to get right now? Would the camera tell you the Memory is full? So you can empty the memory card? Is it easy to do yourself?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2009
2523 posts
1827 upvotes
GTA
VGTor11 wrote: How do you install a mobius without seeing how it's positioned?
I'm looking to do a rear and front install. Does it run 24/7 without exploding? I currently have a G1W and it runs continuous due to my lighter jack.
I bought a 3m tape mount for $3 on ebay for the mobius and the mount is just sticking on the windshield. Mine turns on when I start my car. I had the option of having it run continuously but decided against it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2009
2523 posts
1827 upvotes
GTA
greg123 wrote: Would the camera tell you the Memory is full? So you can empty the memory card? Is it easy to do yourself?
Usually Dash cams have a function to overwrite data on the sd card when its full.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
27051 posts
11490 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I would very much like a stealth install dash cam, and a back window cam would also be great, and of course we all want it at a low price.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Jr. Member
Apr 6, 2015
133 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Akizuki wrote: I bought a 3m tape mount for $3 on ebay for the mobius and the mount is just sticking on the windshield. Mine turns on when I start my car. I had the option of having it run continuously but decided against it.
How do you run it continuously? Also, I meant how do you see the angle it's mounted at without having a screen? Sorry for the confusion
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 14, 2009
2523 posts
1827 upvotes
GTA
VGTor11 wrote: How do you run it continuously? Also, I meant how do you see the angle it's mounted at without having a screen? Sorry for the confusion
To run continuously, lockdown security sells this thing that gives it constant power. I ran the cable through the top & side liner and hooked it up near the driver side fuse box.

To see how its angled, I guesstimate. I try to look at the lens and draw a fake straight line to see where the camera is looking. When I watch the footage at home I determine if I need to change the cams position.

I f an accident occurs I always have my cell phone where I can plug the micro sd in and watch the vid.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
Kasakato wrote: Deterrent.
Perhaps, but there's a real concern of theft.

I think that some ppl are doing it wrong if going against the logic in the OP.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3870 upvotes
Unless you live in a bad neighbourhood area, there is little chance someone will break into your car just to steal a dashcam, which they all usually cost ~50$.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
Messerschmitt wrote: Unless you live in a bad neighbourhood area, there is little chance someone will break into your car just to steal a dashcam, which they all usually cost ~50$.
True, but why take the risk? Also, those bums will break into one's car for less than that/anything, it's outrageous but criminals sometimes don't use logic.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
27051 posts
11490 upvotes
Socially Distanced
tranquility922 wrote: True, but why take the risk? Also, those bums will break into one's car for less than that/anything, it's outrageous but criminals sometimes don't use logic.

People look at it from their perspective, not the criminal's, breaking a $500 window to get $10 in merchandise is illogical to most of us, but to a criminal its perfectly logical because they are $10 richer while the $500 in repair cost is borne by the owner or the owner's insurance (which is paid by the owner) and not the criminal
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4637 upvotes
Montréal
Quentin5 wrote: People look at it from their perspective, not the criminal's, breaking a $500 window to get $10 in merchandise is illogical to most of us, but to a criminal its perfectly logical because they are $10 richer while the $500 in repair cost is borne by the owner or the owner's insurance (which is paid by the owner) and not the criminal
Yup, not very logical, just asking for trb, unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
Quentin5 wrote: People look at it from their perspective, not the criminal's, breaking a $500 window to get $10 in merchandise is illogical to most of us, but to a criminal its perfectly logical because they are $10 richer while the $500 in repair cost is borne by the owner or the owner's insurance (which is paid by the owner) and not the criminal
tranquility922 wrote: Yup, not very logical, just asking for trb, unfortunately.
How is the removal process? Can these dashcams be just mounted off put into the glove box? I am thinking of a senario where monday to friday , the cam is left in the car ( private to private parking) and on weekends in mall parking etc, just remove the cam . Does this make any sense?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)