Automotive

Thoughts on the 2015-2017 Ford Fiesta/Focus ST?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 10:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4295 posts
586 upvotes

Thoughts on the 2015-2017 Ford Fiesta/Focus ST?

I'm looking at getting either a Focus or Fiesta ST (2015-2017). Anyone own one or have any tips? My original plan was to get a Mustang but it doesn't seem too practical. I don't drive manual so I will probably end up spending the first month learning.
31 replies
Nov 15, 2017
563 posts
369 upvotes
The internet loves them because they are affordable, fun-to-drive hot (or warm) hatches. The downside seems to be the dated looking interior.
Jan 23, 2017
978 posts
793 upvotes
Calgary
Do not buy one of these before you even know how to drive a manual. Cart before the horse.

Get a cheap Civic or old beater with a stick for a grand that'll last 2-3 months, wreck the clutch and then buy the car you want.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28004 posts
13827 upvotes
Ottawa
OKSpring wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:46 pm
Do not buy one of these before you even know how to drive a manual. Cart before the horse.

Get a cheap Civic or old beater with a stick for a grand that'll last 2-3 months, wreck the clutch and then buy the car you want.
He'll be okay.
Why go through the trouble of buying one vehicle after the other.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4776 posts
2091 upvotes
Toronto
A few people here have a FoST, can't remember what their names are at the moment.

However, if you need to haul a lot of stuff be warned with the Focus, they are big on the outside but small on the inside.

If you take it slow you'll be fine learning on the FoST. Just make sure you're OK with daily driving a manual, otherwise you're going to be making an expensive mistake.
Last edited by BeaverLiquor on Jan 8th, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11228 posts
4476 upvotes
Toronto
Kherani wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:25 pm
I'm looking at getting either a Focus or Fiesta ST (2015-2017). Anyone own one or have any tips? My original plan was to get a Mustang but it doesn't seem too practical. I don't drive manual so I will probably end up spending the first month learning.
Search is your friend:

Fiesta:

how-many-fiesta-st-owners-here-1680289/

thoughts-ford-fiesta-st-1444138/

ford-fiesta-st-197hp-coming-2013-a-1264467/

Focus:

2013-ford-focus-st-1371879/
Last edited by Swerny on Jan 8th, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19087 posts
4185 upvotes
Thornhill
Hi, Focus ST owner here, 2013 so basically the 1st year model.

I learned how to drive stick on the way home, I stalled it on the way a few times. I should of not picked rush hour to pick it up lol. Lets just say I got honked a lot :)
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3875 posts
4047 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OKSpring wrote:

1000 is more than enough for a new clutch... besides a few stalls when learning initially isn't going to kill a clutch. It's the bad habits(not putting it all the way in, riding the clutch, ...) hat's going to significant reduce the life of it over the longer term.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4295 posts
586 upvotes
BBZero wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:44 pm
The internet loves them because they are affordable, fun-to-drive hot (or warm) hatches. The downside seems to be the dated looking interior.
The interior on my car is infinitely worse, so I think it would be OK.

OKSpring wrote:

Both my parents drive stick, my idea is for me to trade cars with my dad for a while and learn to drive it on side streets in the evening or something. I've driven a manual car once before and it wasn't too bad, I stalled it only twice.
BeaverLiquor wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:52 pm
A few people here have a FoST, can't remember what their names are at the moment.

However, if you need to haul a lot of stuff be warned with the Focus, they are big on the outside but small on the inside.

If you take it slow you'll be fine learning on the FoST. Just make sure you're OK with daily driving a manual, otherwise you're going to be making an expensive mistake.
I don't really haul anything, the biggest thing I've put in my car is probably my dog or a grocery haul.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1036 posts
283 upvotes
Dartmouth
I’d personally like to have a Fiesta St. I own a Focus Titanium Manaus not an St but let me share a couple things.
The Fiesta is tiny inside. The Focus is certainly on the small side for its class but compared to the Fiesta (especially back seat up) the cargo space is huge. If your dog will fit in back seat great. If you need to leave back seat up and put any amount of groceries in Fiesta you might need to make 2trips.

Both as nice as they are are still fords.
I had to replace my on the rear suspension after less than 50k.
Be prepared to prematurely replace stuff especially on the Focus.

I’d rather have another GTI than get the Focus.
If yo7 can live with the Size of the Fiesta I think it will be more fun and cheaper to boot.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19087 posts
4185 upvotes
Thornhill
YMMV I haven't logged much mileage, about 57k since Aug 2013, all I've changed was the brakes, tires and oil so far. I do my own air and cabin filters. I have a major service coming this year, by so far it's been reliable.

My only complaint, is that during one of their headlight recalls, they programmed my headlights wrong so low beams and DRLs turn on all the time. Not a big deal but these HID stock headlights have a low lifespan and are expensive to replace.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10841 posts
10081 upvotes
Oakville
Don't worry about learning on your new car. I learned stick on my first car and drove it 100k before passing down to my brother. With youtube now, you should be an expert before even getting in the car. Or if you a sim gaming wheel/pedals, practice driving stick.

Go to a flat parking lot, and practice slowly letting the clutch out in 1st gear without using the gas pedal. Once you can do that you're pretty much there.

I'm also contemplating a FiST or a Mustang, but mostly for fun on the track. I'm all over the GT but it's a bit too big and heavy for my tastes. Downside to ST is that's it's FWD, but still a great car.
Apr 5, 2017
298 posts
230 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Both could really use an LSD. They have a nice shifting Getrag 6spd transmission, the Recaro seats are badarse for a cheap performance car. The steering is very tight. The suspension is quite stiff. The AC/heater are great, the heater in particular was nice and toasty even on the coldest of days in -40's. It was relaxing to drive on the highway even though it was darty and eager to play/be pushed. They pull a hair under 1G on the skidpad when equipped with the OEM Eagle F1 tires, for sure over a G with Michelin PSS Cup 2 or 3.

I had a 2014 Focus ST and got a solid 2.5 years / 40k km ownership before it got smashed in to / t-boned. They are very safe cars, I will say that. I would've driven it for a long time, and I did love the look of it. Whenever I would park it, I'd look back at it before entering whatever house/building, and think "damn". Yeah it's not an RS, but it still made me feel special to drive every time, especially firmly/securely embraced by the either burning hot or freezing cold leather Recaros. I got my fully loaded ST3 package w/ sunroof, Nav, etc. all in for not a cent more than $30,000.00

When it came out mid way through 2012, it was definitely better than the Civic Si, Mazdaspeed3, WRX, MK6 GTI. They have quite the competition from within their own brand such as Focus RS, Fiesta ST, Ecoboo'Stang, even the V6 Mustang I considered since at the time they were selling them really cheap, I probably could've had a new one in "Gotta Have It Green" for under 25k. Automatic transmission though.

The MK7 GTI came in 2015 and has always impressed me, I've driven a few of those to know the interior is well designed and much more spacious/nicer place to be. Power delivery is better, and an optional LSD which is a smart move although should be standard on any high power FWD car. The new 2018 1.5T Civic Si and 2018 Elantra GT/Sport 1.6T are also very impressive and with LSD's, adaptive independent suspension, slicker shifting manuals, very nice interiors, etc.

If you can take advantage of the depreciation, it's definitely a performance car bargain. 15's and 16's already lost at least a 1/3 value. I didn't go back to one after the accident only because I decided to downsize. Fiesta ST's were pretty much the same price, and in the used market, even more than a same year Focus ST. I ended up finding a 2013 500 Abarth for $13k. Pretty basic by comparison, but for a car as tiny as it is, the interior feels more "roomy" than the Focus due to layout/design, European car makers are good at making small cars big on the inside in general. I took out the rear seats and have the same cargo capacity minus a bit of width as the Focus ST which really is small on the inside given the size on the outside. Weight difference: 2500lb Abarth VS 3300lb Focus ST. I do miss the torque, seats, and slick Getrag 6spd trans. Stage 1 Cobb flash on the ST gave a nice 300ft-lb of torque to shove me around with and roast tires in the summer. Ambient lighting with a bunch of different colors was a nice touch, and the lighting in general I really liked. 15+ got the Sync III 7.2" infotainment system.

Fuel mileage is not what you'd expect, or maybe it is. I averaged 25mpg which falls in line with the real world data gathered on Fuelly for these cars. The Abarth is averaging 30mpg, down 0.6L displacement and 800lbs curb weight, but down side is it's down a gear. Expect to see at least a 2mpg hit in the winter time for both. Fuelly shows Fiesta ST owners getting the same as the Abarth. I worry more about smiles per gallon with these cars though. lol

PS. it's very easy to drive the ST's, and forgiving to learn on. They even have a clutch pedal assist spring that helps if you're new to manual. Also, anti roll back / automatic holding for hill starts. And a hidden feature only owners really know about - the car has a "crawl mode" for low speeds (parking lot, traffic jam) that you can drive or "ride" without stalling or lurching in 1st or 2nd, and coast smooth like an automatic without applying any gas. Tall gear ratios, dual mass flywheel, and torque if I had to guess why it works well like that. I just made sure to maintain a cushion of space in front of me, and not give a crap for all the mindless people driving their automatics impatiently wondering why I have a bus length in front of me. 6spd manual Cummins Ram you can ride it on the first 4 gears at idling speed without stalling, but that thing probably makes 500ft-lbs of torque at idle speed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4295 posts
586 upvotes
tehwegz wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:03 am
Both could really use an LSD. They have a nice shifting Getrag 6spd transmission, the Recaro seats are badarse for a cheap performance car. The steering is very tight. The suspension is quite stiff. The AC/heater are great, the heater in particular was nice and toasty even on the coldest of days in -40's. It was relaxing to drive on the highway even though it was darty and eager to play/be pushed. They pull a hair under 1G on the skidpad when equipped with the OEM Eagle F1 tires, for sure over a G with Michelin PSS Cup 2 or 3.

I had a 2014 Focus ST and got a solid 2.5 years / 40k km ownership before it got smashed in to / t-boned. They are very safe cars, I will say that. I would've driven it for a long time, and I did love the look of it. Whenever I would park it, I'd look back at it before entering whatever house/building, and think "damn". Yeah it's not an RS, but it still made me feel special to drive every time, especially firmly/securely embraced by the either burning hot or freezing cold leather Recaros. I got my fully loaded ST3 package w/ sunroof, Nav, etc. all in for not a cent more than $30,000.00

When it came out mid way through 2012, it was definitely better than the Civic Si, Mazdaspeed3, WRX, MK6 GTI. They have quite the competition from within their own brand such as Focus RS, Fiesta ST, Ecoboo'Stang, even the V6 Mustang I considered since at the time they were selling them really cheap, I probably could've had a new one in "Gotta Have It Green" for under 25k. Automatic transmission though.

The MK7 GTI came in 2015 and has always impressed me, I've driven a few of those to know the interior is well designed and much more spacious/nicer place to be. Power delivery is better, and an optional LSD which is a smart move although should be standard on any high power FWD car. The new 2018 1.5T Civic Si and 2018 Elantra GT/Sport 1.6T are also very impressive and with LSD's, adaptive independent suspension, slicker shifting manuals, very nice interiors, etc.

If you can take advantage of the depreciation, it's definitely a performance car bargain. 15's and 16's already lost at least a 1/3 value. I didn't go back to one after the accident only because I decided to downsize. Fiesta ST's were pretty much the same price, and in the used market, even more than a same year Focus ST. I ended up finding a 2013 500 Abarth for $13k. Pretty basic by comparison, but for a car as tiny as it is, the interior feels more "roomy" than the Focus due to layout/design, European car makers are good at making small cars big on the inside in general. I took out the rear seats and have the same cargo capacity minus a bit of width as the Focus ST which really is small on the inside given the size on the outside. Weight difference: 2500lb Abarth VS 3300lb Focus ST. I do miss the torque, seats, and slick Getrag 6spd trans. Stage 1 Cobb flash on the ST gave a nice 300ft-lb of torque to shove me around with and roast tires in the summer. Ambient lighting with a bunch of different colors was a nice touch, and the lighting in general I really liked. 15+ got the Sync III 7.2" infotainment system.

Fuel mileage is not what you'd expect, or maybe it is. I averaged 25mpg which falls in line with the real world data gathered on Fuelly for these cars. The Abarth is averaging 30mpg, down 0.6L displacement and 800lbs curb weight, but down side is it's down a gear. Expect to see at least a 2mpg hit in the winter time for both. Fuelly shows Fiesta ST owners getting the same as the Abarth. I worry more about smiles per gallon with these cars though. lol

PS. it's very easy to drive the ST's, and forgiving to learn on. They even have a clutch pedal assist spring that helps if you're new to manual. Also, anti roll back / automatic holding for hill starts. And a hidden feature only owners really know about - the car has a "crawl mode" for low speeds (parking lot, traffic jam) that you can drive or "ride" without stalling or lurching in 1st or 2nd, and coast smooth like an automatic without applying any gas. Tall gear ratios, dual mass flywheel, and torque if I had to guess why it works well like that. I just made sure to maintain a cushion of space in front of me, and not give a crap for all the mindless people driving their automatics impatiently wondering why I have a bus length in front of me. 6spd manual Cummins Ram you can ride it on the first 4 gears at idling speed without stalling, but that thing probably makes 500ft-lbs of torque at idle speed.
Wow, thanks for the long detailed answer. I really have some thinking to do, I'm going with my Dad this weekend to test drive them.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1189 posts
200 upvotes
Bedford
BeaverLiquor wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:52 pm

Really? I have a 2012 Focus hatch. Transported a disassembled mid size sofa from Ikea in the hatch last month. Try that with say, a Honda Civic Sedan.