Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10152 posts
5295 upvotes
Markham

Thoughts on BREAD BOX?

Way back in the day I recall ppl had bread boxes. Does anyone still use them? Don't you find it to be a countertop hog? How do they keep bread/rolls etc fresher for longer [do they, are they airtight]? What's wrong with just leaving them in the plastic bag/ziplock bag?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
24 replies
Sep 26, 2008
729 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa
Are those things even sold anymore, other than perhaps Value Village or similar? My bread box is the freezer.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10152 posts
5295 upvotes
Markham
Jenny1975 wrote: Are those things even sold anymore, other than perhaps Value Village or similar? My bread box is the freezer.
Yes they still sell them which is why I'm asking who still uses them?

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=bread+box&cri ... _ss_i_3_14
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2436 posts
340 upvotes
waste of counter space, we got one as a house warming gift for our old house, we never used it, sat in the basement for number of years un-opened, then i gave it away (not as a house warming gift, person saw it in my basement and actually wanted it)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13209 posts
3445 upvotes
Montréal
gr8dlr wrote: Yes they still sell them which is why I'm asking who still uses them?

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=bread+box&cri ... _ss_i_3_14
Wow, they leave the bread unwrapped and touching the box? No tx.

I'm w the other poster, my 'bread box' is the freezer also haha.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1125 posts
630 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Wow, they leave the bread unwrapped and touching the box? No tx.
Have you ever been to a real bakery? That's how it is on the rack or in the display case at the bakery. It would be your own box, with your bread in it.

For us, it's in a plastic bag on the counter or inside the microwave if it's consumed within the next day or the freezer if more than that.
Jun 12, 2008
897 posts
334 upvotes
Ripley
People who make their own bread use them.
May 28, 2012
10810 posts
2924 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've seen a few bread boxes at Winners/HomeSense over the years. Brands were Joseph Joseph, Typhoon and Rig-Tig. I don't have enough counter space for one so I just use a rectangular woven plastic basket. What I'd really like to find is a reusable bag that's large enough to keep a whole loaf from my Zirojushi bread machine...I used to repurpose those clear bags in Costco's meat department for it but they've since switched to compostable and are no good for that purpose.

We gifted the in-laws with a custom made oak one many years ago but it would look pretty dated in a modern kitchen.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13209 posts
3445 upvotes
Montréal
my0gr81 wrote: Have you ever been to a real bakery? That's how it is on the rack or in the display case at the bakery. It would be your own box, with your bread in it.

For us, it's in a plastic bag on the counter or inside the microwave if it's consumed within the next day or the freezer if more than that.
Ofc, but we're talking about our reg homes, so I guess you can do that for your own homebaked stuff since obviously doesn't have any pkging, but store-bought stuff it's counterproductive me thinks.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4060 posts
1763 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
gr8dlr wrote: What's wrong with just leaving them in the plastic bag/ziplock bag?
Might sweat, leading to mould.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12857 posts
2098 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Winners sells breadboxes. You put your freshly baked bread in it.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3446 posts
1255 upvotes
Mississauga
Fresh baked bread will keep fresh and crisp in them for 3-4 days. After that it becomes hard and stale and gets processed into bread crumbs. Repeat next week.
Or... if you are like me and single, bake bread, let it cool, slice it up and into the freezer she goes.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1125 posts
630 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Ofc, but we're talking about our reg homes, so I guess you can do that for your own homebaked stuff since obviously doesn't have any pkging, but store-bought stuff it's counterproductive me thinks.
Even fresh bread from the bakery or in the paper bag at the grocery store is best stored in a bread box at home, if you have one. If not, it goes in a plastic bag and frozen, or stays in the paper bag and stored in the microwave.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
13209 posts
3445 upvotes
Montréal
my0gr81 wrote: Even fresh bread from the bakery or in the paper bag at the grocery store is best stored in a bread box at home, if you have one. If not, it goes in a plastic bag and frozen, or stays in the paper bag and stored in the microwave.
I assume it doesn't hurt to put it in the bread box, but does one really take store-bought bakery goods out of its packaging before doing so? I'm more concerned about insects/dust/etc vs whatever marginal preservation benefits of the bread box.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1125 posts
630 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: I assume it doesn't hurt to put it in the bread box, but does one really take store-bought bakery goods out of its packaging before doing so? I'm more concerned about insects/dust/etc vs whatever marginal preservation benefits of the bread box.
If you are concerned with insects/dust/etc, then yes you need to plastic bag it. In general, it's not a first world issue, for us.