• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2019 9:07 pm
Tags:
Feb 18, 2015
391 posts
1720 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Thoughts on Buick Encore 2019?

It is going to be my first car so I've decided to shop for insurance first and Buick Encore 2019 was a great surprise, the insurance was one of the cheapest and the car is around 30k, which is what I want to spend on my first car.
Is it a good car? I would assume that it is, judging by insurance costing less than other options like C-HR for example.

Thanks for the replies :)
31 replies
Feb 13, 2017
244 posts
238 upvotes
ON
Buick Encore is very small, make sure you drive it first and get a feel for it before you commit
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
Not only is it small...its very expensive for what it is. It starts at $26K...there are significantly larger sedans you could get for that money. I've driven it, and It wasn't special in any way...when I found out how much they cost...I was less impressed because it has subcompact car qualities to it. I can put up with the Sonic it was from because that car was at least cheap, the Encore having the same annoyances at a far higher price...one of the more notable rip offs from the manufacturer.

If you want to spent 30K on a Buick. Buy a Regal, it starts at $32K, its superior to an Encore in every way.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
JeganV wrote: If you want to spent 30K on a Buick. Buy a Regal, it starts at $32K, its superior to an Encore in every way.
Easy, there, grandpa. :D
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Marcos1310 wrote: It is going to be my first car so I've decided to shop for insurance first and Buick Encore 2019 was a great surprise, the insurance was one of the cheapest and the car is around 30k, which is what I want to spend on my first car.
Is it a good car? I would assume that it is, judging by insurance costing less than other options like C-HR for example.

Thanks for the replies :)
The price of insurance has nothing to do with how good a car is... It's just how often claims are made by owners of that car. Buicks are typically bought by older people who don't get in accidents or make claims, so insurance is cheaper. Honda civics and other typical "first cars" are bought by teenager's parents for their first car (and gets wrecked) so insurance is sky high.

Test drive any car before you make a decision. I looked at it at the autoshow and just found it very boring and overpriced. For a first car i'd probably go cheaper and used, but that's very dependant on your financial situation.
Last edited by Ecsta on Mar 5th, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
JAC wrote: Easy, there, grandpa. :D
Have you driven it? I have.

Today's Regal is nothing like the Regals from before, this version and the predecessor(2011-2017) is actually an Opel Insignia made in Germany. Compared to a lot of the GM cars they make, this one drives properly in that all driving dynamics are what you'd expect from European cars. The only thing I didn't like about its predecessor was its old man looking grille. The new one is more of a straight up rebadge of the Opel.

If you wanted the Grandpa car in the Buick lineup you go with the LaCrosse. Very big, very clumsy but soft.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Yep it's in the cute-ute category, not big at all. OP mentioned CH-R so pretty sure he's aware of the size. Honestly I can't recommend anyone buy a cute-ute but the Encore is not a bad vehicle in the class. The problem is this is not a good class.

Anyway if you insist I recommend the turbo engine and the AWD option (I mean what's the point otherwise, might as well get a FWD car instead if you're getting FWD). The turbo version is still pretty slow, but it's not dead dog slow like the base engine is.

What trim are you looking at? Is that $30k before or after tax/fees? It's hard to recommend a vehicle in this class though, they're all pretty much cheese-weasels. A high-trim/optioned-up Encore (Essence) will run you the same as a base GTI ($31k MSRP, before tax & fees) and TBH I'd much rather have a base GTI or GLI than that thing! If that's too expensive you could consider a regular Golf or Golf wagon. These are way better choices than any cute-ute IMO.
Feb 18, 2015
391 posts
1720 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Yep it's in the cute-ute category, not big at all. OP mentioned CH-R so pretty sure he's aware of the size. Honestly I can't recommend anyone buy a cute-ute but the Encore is not a bad vehicle in the class. The problem is this is not a good class.

Anyway if you insist I recommend the turbo engine and the AWD option (I mean what's the point otherwise, might as well get a FWD car instead if you're getting FWD). The turbo version is still pretty slow, but it's not dead dog slow like the base engine is.

What trim are you looking at? Is that $30k before or after tax/fees? It's hard to recommend a vehicle in this class though, they're all pretty much cheese-weasels. A high-trim/optioned-up Encore (Essence) will run you the same as a base GTI ($31k MSRP, before tax & fees) and TBH I'd much rather have a base GTI or GLI than that thing! If that's too expensive you could consider a regular Golf or Golf wagon. These are way better choices than any cute-ute IMO.
It is only me and my wife so I see no reason to buy a big car for us. I would most certainly love getting a GTI, but then the price for the insurance is way too much.
And yes, I'm looking for the AWD version.
I will indeed test the car first, but I really don't mind the size of it, I actually like it.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Save a few grand and get a Trax.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
I would get golf over this...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
I see lots of these on the road....... i think they outsell Trax.

OP have a look at HRV, Kona, Crosstrek and Qashqai as well, they will be a bit cheaper and offer better value
Feb 18, 2015
391 posts
1720 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RFDQ1016 wrote: I see lots of these on the road....... i think they outsell Trax.

OP have a look at HRV, Kona, Crosstrek and Qashqai as well, they will be a bit cheaper and offer better value
I like the HRV too, I will definitely check the other options. Thanks!
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Marcos1310 wrote: It is only me and my wife so I see no reason to buy a big car for us. I would most certainly love getting a GTI, but then the price for the insurance is way too much.
I will indeed test the car first, but I really don't mind the size of it, I actually like it.
You shouldn't buy this vehicle now, you will get crushed on depreciation. If you can I would wait before you buy, these usually have a $7000 rebate, not including what you can get on the dealer side, on top line models around June-July. If you can't wait there are many new and nearly new 2018s still in stock. If size isn't an issue it is a good car. I helped a friend buy a Trax 3 years ago and it's going strong but I would still pick this over a Trax as they are now made in Mexico the Encore is made in Korea. Whatever you buy negotiate down hard, these are all over the place waiting for buyers.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Marcos1310 wrote: Not a big fan of VW
Have you driven a Golf though and compared it? If you have and you still like the Encore better somehow then fine, but just saying you're not a fan of a brand doesn't really cut it unless you've had a lot of experience with VWs and don't like them for particular reasons.
RFDQ1016 wrote: OP have a look at HRV, Kona, Crosstrek and Qashqai as well, they will be a bit cheaper and offer better value
Yeah but the problem is none of these really offer good value or can be recommended. Well actually the Crosstrek is fine, but the rest are just cute-utes that are wannabe SUVs just for the sake of "not being cars" or at least not appearing to be. What they are is just small cars, jacked up, and marketed as some sort of SUV/CUV. Pretenders, wannabes, cute-utes, call them any of these, that's what they are. Basically dreamt up by marketing depts to cater to people that want to perceive they are driving an "CUV" but don't have the money to afford one of the more useful ones.

OP is certainly free to buy what they want, however I will stand by my previous statement that these can't really be recommended.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
ES_Revenge wrote: Have you driven a Golf though and compared it? If you have and you still like the Encore better somehow then fine, but just saying you're not a fan of a brand doesn't really cut it unless you've had a lot of experience with VWs and don't like them for particular reasons.
Reliability
ES_Revenge wrote:

Yeah but the problem is none of these really offer good value or can be recommended. Well actually the Crosstrek is fine, but the rest are just cute-utes that are wannabe SUVs just for the sake of "not being cars" or at least not appearing to be. What they are is just small cars, jacked up, and marketed as some sort of SUV/CUV. Pretenders, wannabes, cute-utes, call them any of these, that's what they are. Basically dreamt up by marketing depts to cater to people that want to perceive they are driving an "CUV" but don't have the money to afford one of the more useful ones.
What's exactly wrong with that? They offer a better seating position, easier to get in/out, bigger cargo, many have higher ground clearance. And judging by sales, this is what people want. Long list of discontinued sedans from GM, ford, FCA. Market is moving away
Basically dreamt up by marketing depts to cater to people that want to perceive they are driving an "CUV" but don't have the money to afford one of the more useful ones.
Not everyone wants a bigger crossover. many people are fine with subcompact cuvs. Easy to park, cheaper, while still providing the benefits of a cuv etc
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote: Reliability
:rolleyes:
RFDQ1016 wrote: What's exactly wrong with that? They offer a better seating position, easier to get in/out, bigger cargo, many have higher ground clearance.
What's wrong with creating something based on marketing, in order to make people think it's something it actually isn't? Do I need to answer that? Here on RFD? Really?
RFDQ1016 wrote: And judging by sales, this is what people want. Long list of discontinued sedans from GM, ford, FCA. Market is moving away
Just because people are penny-wise and pound-foolish doesn't mean this is something to recommend. Why wouldn't carmakers want to charge people more $$$ and make more $$$ off people who are easily fooled by marketing? They're all for it!
RFDQ1016 wrote: Not everyone wants a bigger crossover. many people are fine with subcompact cuvs. Easy to park, cheaper, while still providing the benefits of a cuv etc
LOL what? No! They don't offer any benefits of a CUV (and CUVs often don't offer much for "benefits" either, compared to wagons or minivans), they offer a jacked up [sub]compact car and "offer" some of the disadvantages of CUVs (like higher CofG and worse handling), and typically an increased price over the cars they are based on. Sometimes they even have less cargo room than standard cars/hatchbacks. The only benefit I've seen personally is more of these offer AWD (some actually don't though). However Mazda, for example, is now going to offer AWD in the car (Mazda3) and not just the lame cute-ute, meaning something like a CX-3 just becomes a nonsensemobile.

So yeah if you like to waste money pretending you've bought an SUV or something, sure, go for it. Like I said, your money.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
ES_Revenge wrote: :rolleyes:

What's wrong with creating something based on marketing, in order to make people think it's something it actually isn't? Do I need to answer that? Here on RFD? Really?

Just because people are penny-wise and pound-foolish doesn't mean this is something to recommend. Why wouldn't carmakers want to charge people more $$$ and make more $$$ off people who are easily fooled by marketing? They're all for it!

LOL what? No! They don't offer any benefits of a CUV (and CUVs often don't offer much for "benefits" either, compared to wagons or minivans), they offer a jacked up [sub]compact car and "offer" some of the disadvantages of CUVs (like higher CofG and worse handling), and typically an increased price over the cars they are based on. Sometimes they even have less cargo room than standard cars/hatchbacks. The only benefit I've seen personally is more of these offer AWD (some actually don't though). However Mazda, for example, is now going to offer AWD in the car (Mazda3) and not just the lame cute-ute, meaning something like a CX-3 just becomes a nonsensemobile.

So yeah if you like to waste money pretending you've bought an SUV or something, sure, go for it. Like I said, your money.
I am not going to argue with you since you obviously have a pretty strong opinion and nothing is going to change that. Most people couldn't care less about "CofG and worse handling". People want high seating position, easy to get in/out, awd, utility, and thats what these cars offer. I personally think compact cuv class is the sweet spot (rav4, rogue etc), but I understand many people like empty nesters or young couples are content with HRV, Crosstrek size. CX-3 and some other that are insanely small are pretty useless, I'll give you that. CX-3 is especially cramped and has a useless second row. I hate that car

Sedans are dying and the few that are left have declining sales numbers, doesn't matter what you or me think. You may like wagons or sedans but more and more people want cuvs, even if its just for the suv looks/style

sorry op don't want to derail your thread. I'm off
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
Wow. My brain hurts from the stupidity here. Leave it to the degenerates trying to convince you that everyone should be driving a full size condo on wheels SUV and anyone wanting something smaller is dumb and has fallen for marketing. I would think it's the opposite way around; most who buy condos on wheels are actually the ones who have fallen for the marketing and buying way more vehicle than they need driving up their operating costs for no reason other than status. I was raised at a time when most drove Chevettes, (me) Beatles, Horizons and Dodge Aries and put their families/friends and gear in them no issues. Suddenly we need full size SUV with as many totally useless features driving as many wheels as possible at the same time. Most drivers needs can easily be met with an Encore, Beats, CX-3 or Trax size vehicle. Encores are all over the road, that size class exists for a reason.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Marcos1310 wrote: It is only me and my wife so I see no reason to buy a big car for us. I would most certainly love getting a GTI, but then the price for the insurance is way too much.
Test drive the CX-5 as well, it's cheaper and i would argue nicer than the Buick. Not as "luxury" but better features. Kia Kona is very nice, but again not luxury. Honestly i'd spend a weekend test driving every CUV to get an idea of what you like and want out of a car.

GTI's are a hell of a lot of fun, but yeah insurance and ownership costs are way higher. I probably wouldn't recommend it for you (even though i pretty much own a version of one and love it haha).
ES_Revenge wrote:
It's what people want. They want the ride quality/handling/price of a car, but the size and ground clearance of the SUV to feel "safe", so that's why most CUV's are just jacked up cars. I personally don't mind it, not like those buying the giant SUV's use all the space or go offroading. The most offroading most SUV's see is driving in an unplowed parking lot hahaha.