Computers & Electronics

Thoughts on buying CPUs on eBay? (Xeon E5-2650L v2)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 3:27 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 14, 2003
686 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto

Thoughts on buying CPUs on eBay? (Xeon E5-2650L v2)

Vast majority of the CPU sellers on eBay are in China. I'm assuming they're e-waste/recyclers... anything I should look for (not wanting duds, engineering samples...)

Looking to do a slight bump on my home server to give a slightly longer lease on life. It's a HP DL360 Gen8. I think the Xeon E5-2650L v2 is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of power consumption and performance?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7309 posts
3893 upvotes
Debtario
IMHO most of the ebay parts are overpriced and the descriptions/conditions are often wrong. But for specific components, there may be no other way unless you get lucky and find the part listed locally. It's up up you to decide if the upgrade is worth it.

Hope for the best and open a paypal dispute if it goes south is all you can really do.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3332 upvotes
i bought a cpu before on ebay and it worked fine, you got to do your research, some will offer free return, some have a very high rating, some have been in business with ebay since they started.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7309 posts
3893 upvotes
Debtario
Yeah CPUs are usually quite hardy, particularly since intel has moved the pins to the motherboard.

I wouldn't be overly worried about wear and tear on a cpu. Even if it was OCd and ran hot all its life it will likely outlive your machine anyway.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3639 posts
2303 upvotes
London
there is always the chance for counterfeits or one were someone delied a lower end cpu and put the lid of a higher end chip on it to make it look better then it is. but ebays buyer protection is pretty good and they almost always side with the buyer. also the seller is required to provide a return label at there cost so most times the seller just ingores and when the clock runs out ebay closes the case in your flavor.

why do u even want these chips there only 10 cores and only running at 1.7 ghz. they seem to be selling for around 80 bucks a chip
[OP]
Sep 14, 2003
686 posts
415 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: why do u even want these chips there only 10 cores and only running at 1.7 ghz. they seem to be selling for around 80 bucks a chip
From a power consumption vs performance, more cores to assign to VMs. I don't necessarily need the grunt other than for Blue Iris re-encoding things periodically, this seems to be the best that the server can handle, otherwise I'd be going up to 100W+ TDP.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)