• Jul 4th, 2020 1:41 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 30, 2013
305 posts
310 upvotes
NB

Thoughts on buying a demo TV

I just came across a Samsung un65tu7000 for ~ $440 (1/2 price) but there are a couple downsides. The big one is that its a demo unit less than 1 year old and there is no remote. is this still good value?
Last edited by daviddavieboy on Jun 29th, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM NOT A BOOMER, but I wish i was.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2677 posts
1235 upvotes
Toronto
daviddavieboy wrote: I just came across a Samsung un65tu7000 for ~ $440 (1/2 price) but there are a couple downsides. The big one I think is that it us a demo unit less than 1 year old and there is no remote. is this still good value?
I don't have any experience with used TVs but I'll throw the below out there just in case it helps.

I heard that some TVs will allow you to see how many hours the TV has been used for. That would probably determine if you and others think this might be a good buy or not.

The TV may have around 3,000 hrs of use (just a number I picked off the top of my head). The TV would have been on for around 76 hrs per week (maybe 12 hrs from M-F and maybe 8 hrs on Sat and Sun).

The remote may not be a big deal if you have a Logitech (or something similar) universal remote.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1877 posts
759 upvotes
I bought a Samsung 3D Plasma display from Future Shop roughly 7 years ago, when I got my new job. Plus my old one had the bulb die on me and so, yeah I needed something new. Anyways I got a 51” tv with 3 years extended warranty (included free) for I think $500. It worked great with no issues, 3D worked, but a little hum noticeable at low volume. I upgraded to a 4K set about a year and a half ago, and gave my brother the tv for his wedding gift. He still uses it today with no issues.

Anyways if you like the tv and can get it for half price. I say go for it, but check for possible burn in images to make sure. Can easily buy a remote from them or amazon to work the tv. Can maybe even see if they can make a deal on the remote purchase with the tv
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3815 posts
1230 upvotes
I have a few demo TV's and they are all fine, inspect it in store if you can and yes definitely check the run time.

If the run time is really high i would avoid, but generally all the ones I've had only had a few months of run time.

IMO a remote is kinda a big deal for me, unless of course you have one at home that may work or if a cheap replacement can be found easily.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2986 upvotes
The backlighting only has so many hours of life before it dims to unacceptable levels. Some people are so sensitive to decrease in tv backlighting they will deem even 15% reduction as unacceptable. For a tv that is on 14 hours a day as a demo, and with lcd tv so cheap, why would you do this?

The only reason to sell a demo tv to you is because they are selling new models and no longer will sell the old demo model, or they are experienced enough to know after a certain period of time as a demo, the tv is going to break down.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)