• Aug 4th, 2021 1:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1191 posts
1543 upvotes

Thoughts on buying used?

My winter tires and rims have had it, and I've been checking out the Kijiji ads and thinking of getting a used set. I read to check the 4 digits after DOT to see year of manufacture, tread-wear, and cracks on the side of the tires. I've seen some sets with really beat up rims, etc. but am thinking of getting a set of 4 winter tires on rims for $450-$500 so should be reasonable quality. Any serious downside to my logic? Trying to save $$ obviously and current (old) car may only last a couple of more years so trying to avoid a big expense.

If Kijiji isn't a good idea, what's the general consensus on where to go for reasonable quality/good pricing?

I checked Costco - thinking of only mid-range tires like Blizzak/Michelin X-Ice/Pirelli Cinturato - costs ~$1K for 4 tires and rims, installed.

Very little experience with this so any guidance/insights much appreciated - TIA! :blush:

cheers,
:)
15 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13108 posts
4709 upvotes
Ontario
No issue buy from kijiji as long as they are in good shape/brand. I would stick to tires that are 2-3 years max and have a decent amount of thread on them still (50% or more) No cracking on the sides or between threads.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1191 posts
1074 upvotes
Only problem with buying used is getting 1 or more wobbly and/or bent wheels. Some tires go wobbly from broken or misaligned belts.

I would also get the tires balanced and any wobbly ones should go on the rear where it will be less noticeable.

Kind of a crap shoot. I've had good and bad experiences buying used tires on wheels. Also you have to ensure the wheels are the right fit for your vehicle. Best way bto to ensure that would be to get them from someone who has OEM wheels from the same brand and model as your vehicle.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
I rather buy now these days, Install and mounting already cost me $80-100 (18" and up)
Buying a set of new and most shops will install it for free.

I tried buying a used set which claim that it was used for 9000km about 1 winter paid $550.
Those tires only last me 1 winter season, they are those to about 3-4/32 when I try to put them on on the 2nd season. The thread were deep when I bought it and DOT is reasonably recent.

After I paid a new set for $800 all included, mounting on rims and car, those tires last me 2 winters and counting.
I'm return the lease this year, so I will just post them for sell for $500.

These new tires probably only cost me $300 and free mounting on the initial purchase. $300-100.
So $200 spent for my two winter of driving on a set of new tires, better than buy used like I did.....($550 + install fee and last me 1 winter, or 2 if I scratch it)
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1191 posts
1543 upvotes
Thank you for giving your perspective @MP3_SKY - appreciate the breakdown.

Someone I know bought a used set of rims & regular tires from same make a few years ago and it worked out but reading this it makes sense to not test my luck. I never thought about the option of re-selling the tires if I no longer have my car. Also if I buy new, I will avoid the "unknown" factor of the rims being bent, wheels having been patched, etc. Looking at the rims in some listing's pics I can see weights on them so that makes me wary too. I generally assume sellers are honest and trustworthy but in some cases I can see that people are selling for others (like their relatives, etc) so it may be that they truly don't know about the tires' condition. Guess I'm leaning to buying new now so I don't get stuck with a poor set after having spent $500...will check out my local tire shop/CTC/Costco. Thx all much appreciated.

cheers,
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2030 posts
1098 upvotes
Oakville
you could end up buying crappy tires, but are more likely to be buying good tires from someone like mp3_sky that are getting rid of their tires after their lease is up.

I did that with my old winters when I returned my car and they wouldn't fit my new car. Haven't decided what to do with my currently lease when it is up at end of Feb 2022. I haven't checked if MB is changing the tire size on the 22 like they did back in 15.

(Note: if mp3_sky paid 550 for a 1 yr old tire, it is unlikely to get 500 for a 3 yr old tire. Value on used tires seem to have a steep depreciation, as folks on rfd say not to buy used tires than 1-2 yrs old)

Also, having weights on wheels means nothing...Afaik, even new tires and wheels can have weights on them to be properly balanced.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1191 posts
1543 upvotes
Interesting insights - thx for taking the time to reply @cba123 - and obviously did not know about the weights so that is great info!

Rfd is so fab - now I feel much better about my decision making: if I see same make & model tires, max 3 years old, with good tread still left, no cracking on the sides or between threads, and the seller seems reputable and has a good reason why they are selling the tires, I will be confident in the transaction seeing the tires in person. However, I'm not going to try to force a kijiji buy...if nothing comes up, I will go new knowing I gave it a good shot. Thx all! :blush:

cheers,
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4113 posts
4318 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Just ask the reason for selling and looking for people who are returning their leases.
George613 wrote: Only problem with buying used is getting 1 or more wobbly and/or bent wheels. Some tires go wobbly from broken or misaligned belts.

I would also get the tires balanced and any wobbly ones should go on the rear where it will be less noticeable.

Kind of a crap shoot. I've had good and bad experiences buying used tires on wheels. Also you have to ensure the wheels are the right fit for your vehicle. Best way bto to ensure that would be to get them from someone who has OEM wheels from the same brand and model as your vehicle.
Definitely a crap shoot. I bought used wheels and 2 of them were bent. Not enough to be visibly obvious, but enough that it causes issues at highway speeds. Pretty annoyed, but the wheels were only a couple hundred and its for my GF's car who never really drives above 70km/h so she hasn't noticed yet lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1688 posts
1146 upvotes
Manitoba
Might as well bite the bullet and get a new set by the amount sellers are wanting for used tires.

For context, I bought my summer and winter set at CT for ~$550/set with install/balancing. They are brand new with warranty and with free patch up incase of puncture.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1191 posts
1074 upvotes
Even buying new can be a problem. You want the wheels/rims to be hub centric or oem not multi-fit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1191 posts
1543 upvotes
George613 wrote: Even buying new can be a problem. You want the wheels/rims to be hub centric or oem not multi-fit.
Can you expand on this a little please - I thought if I plug in my vehicle info (say the Costco tire site) and it tells me which tires/rims I can order, then I'm good to go and order those? Obviously I don't drive a high end vehicle.

cheers,
Nov 9, 2020
189 posts
110 upvotes
klamchowder wrote: Can you expand on this a little please - I thought if I plug in my vehicle info (say the Costco tire site) and it tells me which tires/rims I can order, then I'm good to go and order those? Obviously I don't drive a high end vehicle.

cheers,
Buying new isn’t a problem per se, but you need to know what you are looking for/at.

Costco will spit out rims in diameter that is to your car but the rims can come in either hub-centric (specific to bolt patterns and hub diameter to your car) or multi-fit (can fit multiple bolt patterns and hub diameter). It is best to get hub-centric. You can read about it online.

ALSO Costco will spit out rim sizes that is an inch or 2 lower than your regular rim sizes for winter rim downsizing. Be careful of that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1191 posts
1543 upvotes
Thx for explaining it @Tiger131 ! Yes, I go with my bolt pattern - didn't even know about multi-fit so good to be aware of it, as well as rim downsizing now.

cheers,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)