• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 5:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 25, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote

Thoughts on Costco laptops?

I've been looking for a new laptop for a while, and I'm wondering what all of you think of the laptops at Costco. I realize that it depends on the brand/model, but in general does Costco usually deliver value for money in their laptops?

I'm looking for a 15.6" for regular laptop uses (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, video/photo editing, Internet, Skype, etc.). I do NOT play games and I do NOT want a touchscreen, so I don't need anything fancy. I'd prefer to keep it to around $500 if possible.

I've found this one at Costco,

https://www.costco.ca/hp-15-ef1003ca-la ... 56726.html

Here are the key specs:

AMD Athlon Gold 3150U processor
8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
256 GB SSD
AMD Radeon™ graphics
FHD (1920 × 1080)

I've never owned an HP before. I've had a few Acers (which were great), and currently own an Asus (which has been okay).

Any thoughts on this? I know a few people who prefer to stick with Intel processors - is the AMD Athlon Gold 3150U processor any good?

I realize that if I spend a few hundred more bucks, I could get something a lot better, but for $500, is this an okay computer?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7607 posts
1681 upvotes
Scarborough
HP is good also, better than Acer in my opinion.
If you're looking for a basic and not doing intensive stuff, its good enough for daily surfing, skype, email, etc (SSD is good!)

If its in your budget why spend more?
Go and grab it
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13051 posts
8290 upvotes
Markham
When you search deal especially consumer electronics, be open mind, Costco is not necessarily the best place to buy. It's really about where you can find best choice at the moment you want to buy

Can you wait a bit for back to school deal?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29048 posts
14591 upvotes
Brands aside (I'm not a fan of Acer in general but HP consumer isn't really that much better) I think this is a better deal if you use Optimum points.

shoppers-drug-mart-499-99-acer-aspire-3 ... d-2388614/

$500+tax-$150 "gift certificate" to Loblaws.

Good luck finding one though.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7484 posts
4114 upvotes
Debtario
Refurbished/off-lease thinkpads are the best value, otherwise wait for lenovo EPP deals or Dell back to school/blackfriday specials.

I can't say I've seen any amazing deals at Costco for laptops, selection is often very limited and it's mostly a sprinkling of HP units (at my costco anyway). Costco online has the rare deal once in a while.
Amourek wrote: Costco does not typically deliver value on their laptops. The value is in their return policy.
+1, though its only 90 days for electronics AFAIK. Their extended warranties may be worth it though.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13051 posts
8290 upvotes
Markham
M1K3Z0R wrote:
+1, though its only 90 days for electronics AFAIK. Their extended warranties may be worth it though.
Make sure return in two weeks instead of 90 days, otherwise people here will accuse you bad intentions lol
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2544 posts
467 upvotes
North York
jackrabbit000 wrote: We use all Dell laptops at work. Never heard of anyone having problems with one (about 50 users). All have English keyboards, screw the bilingual ones.
That's funny, we are all dell at work too. Everyone eventually had a story about something failing and getting their machine replaced - it's been quite a while since an entire refresh was done. My most recent one was a failing battery, prior to that the machine failed to boot.

But with that being said, I also bought a dell for our personal laptop. Nice to be able to reuse all the same power adapters around the house.