Thoughts on extended warranty

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2020 2:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
booblehead wrote: well, that's just my own way of not wanting to offer more than what I feel it's fair. After all, A6 has always been relatively poor in the resale value, if compared to like E class and 5 series.
According to this site, a few Audi models do fairly well in value retention - although not necessarily the A6. Frankly, I don't know why the E-class and 5er would do much better than the A6. Not disputing that they do, I just can't think of any reason why they would.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33234 posts
21163 upvotes
Toronto
CaptSmethwick wrote: According to this site, a few Audi models do fairly well in value retention - although not necessarily the A6. Frankly, I don't know why the E-class and 5er would do much better than the A6. Not disputing that they do, I just can't think of any reason why they would.
It (the resale value) is likely influenced by the sales volume of the brand. Low sales may mean there is low demand for the car, hence, people may not want a car that is hard to sell down the road and if traded in, the dealer will likely low ball the seller due to no demand in the used car market.

In Canada - units sold (source from goodcarbadcar)
Audi - A6 (excl. S6)
2016 - 834
2017 - 868
2018 - 361 (up to July)

BMW - 5 series
2016 - 2019
2017 - 2706
2018 - 1575 (up to July)

MB - E & CLS
2016 - 2953
2017 - 3930
2018 - 2157 (up to July)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
booblehead wrote: It (the resale value) is likely influenced by the sales volume of the brand. Low sales may mean there is low demand for the car, hence, people may not want a car that is hard to sell down the road and if traded in, the dealer will likely low ball the seller due to no demand in the used car market.

In Canada - units sold (source from goodcarbadcar)
Audi - A6 (excl. S6)
2016 - 834
2017 - 868
2018 - 361 (up to July)

BMW - 5 series
2016 - 2019
2017 - 2706
2018 - 1575 (up to July)

MB - E & CLS
2016 - 2953
2017 - 3930
2018 - 2157 (up to July)
Initial sales volume is absolutely a factor in resale but none of those numbers are particularly big. Those numbers are for 52 weeks over an entire country. My take on sales volume (although not necessarily correct - I won't argue the point) is a little different from yours - low initial sales are partly driven by lack of awareness in the market or the failure of a model to otherwise connect with its intended market. Those causes would understandably exist in the resale market as well.

Still, anybody who buys a luxury car while worrying about its resale value down the road is not much of a risk taker and is fussing more than I do about what might happen four years or more in the future. Not everybody is the same so I am sure there are some people who are indeed like that.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Jun 3, 2015
9 posts
2 upvotes
jindogae wrote: I'll be purchasing a 2016 A6 TDI with 4000 kms on it. It comes with a 5 year 100000 km comprehensive warranty. I've been offered a 6 year 160 000 km comprehensive warranty for $3000 ($100 deductible). Since I typically do 25 000 km/year the extended warranty would cover me for 6 years of driving. However, if I don't make a claim during the extended warranty I would get the $3000 in trade in value, or $2000 in parts or service, or $1000 cash back. So worst case scenario is that I paid $2000 for 2 year and 60 000 km and don't use it.
If I purchase the warranty they'd also sell me a ceramic tint for $300, ppf (partial hood, fenders, both bumpers, trunk sill, mirrors and under the door handles) for $700, and ceramic pro for $900. These are slightly lower prices than I've been quoted outside of Audi.
Thoughts?
Just want to share my experience with the Audiafter care protection.

I have an 2013 Audi A4, bought it with the extended warranty up to 120,000 km.
I'm currently at around 116,000 km. Last week - Engine light went up.

Took it to an Audi dealership and the aftercare asked me to provide ALL oil changes history.

I went to Audi dealership for all these years except since after 2016, then I used some other certified mechanics.
I provided all oil change records , except I am missing a year end 2017 record. The extended warranty is now using it as an excuse and telling me that they cannot proceed to fix my car blindly.

I told the warranty guy that I provided all the records, except 1 of the 2017 record ( which i provided mid 2017 and couldn't find december 2017) and the car just broke down now, which really got nothing to do with anything back 2 years ago.

Lesson learned - definitely stick to an Audi dealership for oil changes if you are buying the warranty. Or don't buy the warranty at all, because those guys will try their absolute best not to fix it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
PaulS953405 wrote: Just want to share my experience with the Audiafter care protection.

I have an 2013 Audi A4, bought it with the extended warranty up to 120,000 km.
I'm currently at around 116,000 km. Last week - Engine light went up.

Took it to an Audi dealership and the aftercare asked me to provide ALL oil changes history.

I went to Audi dealership for all these years except since after 2016, then I used some other certified mechanics.
I provided all oil change records , except I am missing a year end 2017 record. The extended warranty is now using it as an excuse and telling me that they cannot proceed to fix my car blindly.

I told the warranty guy that I provided all the records, except 1 of the 2017 record ( which i provided mid 2017 and couldn't find december 2017) and the car just broke down now, which really got nothing to do with anything back 2 years ago.

Lesson learned - definitely stick to an Audi dealership for oil changes if you are buying the warranty. Or don't buy the warranty at all, because those guys will try their absolute best not to fix it.
Go to a different dealership.
After two dealership oil changes during the first year of ownership on my Explorer and nothing from year 2-3, I had nearly $10K (parts and labor) of warranty work at the end of year 3 without any pushback.
Jun 3, 2015
9 posts
2 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Go to a different dealership.
After two dealership oil changes during the first year of ownership on my Explorer and nothing from year 2-3, I had nearly $10K (parts and labor) of warranty work at the end of year 3 without any pushback.
Don't think its the dealership, its the audiaftercare - Dealership even said, i can call aftercare myself to get an update.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Go to a different dealership.
I had aftercare on my B8 S4 since I have nothing interesting to jump into and want to wait for B9 to show up. Aftercare is an insurance product and has nothing to do with Audi or the dealership.

If you have all records at dealership, then it's very easy for them to make the claim. If you don't, you better keep VERY good records and make sure every maintenance item is done as listed in the manual.
PaulS953405 wrote: Don't think its the dealership, its the audiaftercare - Dealership even said, i can call aftercare myself to get an update.
Yup. That's why I paid $300 oil changes for 2 more years to make sure hassle free with Aftercare. I was happy since water pump failed 2 more times during the Aftercare years and the repair cost was almost $3K each time. It paid for itself and then some. I already had a sense that it would happen since that component failed twice during original warranty and it got me a new engine the 1st time.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
PaulS953405 wrote: Don't think its the dealership, its the audiaftercare - Dealership even said, i can call aftercare myself to get an update.
Xtrema wrote: I had aftercare on my B8 S4 since I have nothing interesting to jump into and want to wait for B9 to show up. Aftercare is an insurance product and has nothing to do with Audi or the dealership.

If you have all records at dealership, then it's very easy for them to make the claim. If you don't, you better keep VERY good records and make sure every maintenance item is done as listed in the manual.

Yup. That's why I paid $300 oil changes for 2 more years to make sure hassle free with Aftercare. I was happy since water pump failed 2 more times during the Aftercare years and the repair cost was almost $3K each time. It paid for itself and then some. I already had a sense that it would happen since that component failed twice during original warranty and it got me a new engine the 1st time.
So it's a 3rd party warranty?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: So it's a 3rd party warranty?
Yes, it's an insurance company HQ in Vancouver.

It used to even have their own website until it got absorbed under Audi.ca.
Last edited by Xtrema on Jan 10th, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Xtrema wrote: Yes, it's an insurance company HQ in Vancouver.
Ah, yes they will definitely be more strict than factory extended warranty.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Ah, yes they will definitely be more strict than factory extended warranty.
And given most Audi dealer will give away 3 year maintenance (1st is free) to close deals, it's very rare to have warranty conflicts when you are under original factory warranty since dealer got all your records on hand.

My S4 went thru 1 engine and 3 water pumps, Audi and Audi Aftercare has 0 issue paying for all the repairs.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
With any high end/luxury brand you should buy the extended warranty if given the option if you plan to keep your vehicle long term. It will save you a lot in the long run with pricey repairs.
Jun 3, 2015
9 posts
2 upvotes
sandy_beach wrote: With any high end/luxury brand you should buy the extended warranty if given the option if you plan to keep your vehicle long term. It will save you a lot in the long run with pricey repairs.
agree, but make sure you service it with the audi dealserhip until the warranty is done

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)