Thoughts on Framing/Printing Price

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2021 12:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 29, 2021
1 posts

Thoughts on Framing/Printing Price

I went to a downtown Toronto specialty framing and printing location to frame a large painting (shadowbox) and to print and frame a photograph and ended up shocked at their quotations.

Can anyone tell me what they think of this pricing and whether it is reasonable, and, if not reasonable, what a reasonable price should be?

Sizing is in inches:
Shadowbox on a 40x50 painting (hinged, not mounted) - $1,300 HST inclusive. Glass is a premium non-reflective 92% UV protected glass.

Photo printing + framing of a 20x30 print - $1,000 HST inclusive (again, same premium non-reflective glass).

I had expected pricing more in the realm of anywhere from 20-40% of what was quoted. Anyone have any thoughts? With different framing selections and inferior glass I could have reduced the prices somewhat (maybe by about $500 on the painting and $300 on the photo, but it would still have been very expensive). I was going here with these two items and thought I would do more business there in future if it worked out well, but with that kind of pricing I can't afford to...
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4530 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto
Towelbro3 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what they think of this pricing and whether it is reasonable, and, if not reasonable, what a reasonable price should be?
Based on some custom framing we had done a few years ago, those prices seem a bit high, but not massively so. (Maybe 15% higher than I would have expected) Custom framing is an expensive proposition.

You can try calling around to see if there are any places that offer a discount. It sometimes also is worth trying the big chains like Michael's or Deserres that often have coupons for custom framing.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1541 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Framing costs are horrifically high in Canada. Not sure why, but perhaps due to the import costs of the frame material from Europe?

I haven't tried them for frames but you could always try somewhere like Posterjack.ca, or alternatively look for a US company that send to Canada?

Otherwise 20x30 is a pretty standard size so you may be able to buy something premade and just get the print done separately - the cost of which could vary widely depending on print type.