Green / Eco-Friendly

Thoughts on a gas/battery leaf blower, which one to get?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 12:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2105 posts
575 upvotes
Kitchener

Thoughts on a gas/battery leaf blower, which one to get?

I've already got a corded one, but the cord is a hassle. I'd like to get a battery or gas powered one. Which is most eco friendly? Which is the most powerful battery one. I'd like comments from owners as well as to their performance and longevity.

Obviously, best value is a big consideration. :)

Thanks in advance for your time.
17 replies
Apr 3, 2018
173 posts
119 upvotes
sam123 wrote: I've already got a corded one, but the cord is a hassle. I'd like to get a battery or gas powered one. Which is most eco friendly? Which is the most powerful battery one. I'd like comments from owners as well as to their performance and longevity.

Obviously, best value is a big consideration. :)

Thanks in advance for your time.
Run time is your main concern. If you run more then 20 minutes on max speed, get gas. Otherwise take battery.
Nov 9, 2015
369 posts
36 upvotes
ON
EGO is the best in battery powered, I recently added all there tools to my collection after doing a lot of research, its pricey though but worth it !
Be positive & stay blessed :)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1625 posts
471 upvotes
Elgin, ON
What are you blowing, and why?

Rake?
Corn broom?

I don't have a blower.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2105 posts
575 upvotes
Kitchener
theposter wrote: Run time is your main concern. If you run more then 20 minutes on max speed, get gas. Otherwise take battery.
Interesting, any brand or specific unit that you'd recommend?
Apr 3, 2018
173 posts
119 upvotes
Nothing is on sale at the moment. But I would stay away with MTD, Black and Decker, and low end Ryobi Blowers.
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
739 upvotes
Ontario
rkjredflag wrote: What are you blowing, and why?

Rake?
Corn broom?

I don't have a blower.
Agreed. What is the point of these things?
Mar 4, 2014
118 posts
19 upvotes
I have a gas leaf blower for several years now, great power, but very loud and smelly. (never used it much, too much hassle starting it up)

Since I already own the Kobalt 40-volt lawnmower and weed wacker, the cordless leaf blower only made sense. Very happy with it so far with enough power for my needs. 5 year warranty is a nice bonus. I used the $10 sign up coupon to bring the price down to $49.99.

https://www.lowes.ca/leaf-blowers/kobal ... 03256.html
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13209 posts
2220 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Use a rake.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9960 posts
1836 upvotes
Toronto
Get a leaf blower/vacuum/mulcher instead

After you blow them into a pile, then suck it and it mulches. Into its collector bag

Reducing the volume by 40-50% or more. Then dump into the brown bags. So much better
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4115 posts
1382 upvotes
WFH
Copper1212 wrote: Agreed. What is the point of these things?
Leaf blowers aren't just for leaves. For example, I'd like to see you clean a shop vac filter or dry your vehicle after washing with a corn broom or rake.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6305 posts
1948 upvotes
BC
sam123 wrote: .... I'd like to get a battery or gas powered one. Which is most eco friendly?
At least one local government around here is giving consideration to banning gas powered leaf blowers, at least ones used by homeowners.

Not necessarily from an eco point of view but based purely on the noise level and the annoyance factor for neighbours and the community at large.

All to do with human flourishing and liveable cities.

For professional yard care companies there would need to be exemptions and/or a phase-in period.

I think it will happen eventually on a broad basis. Something to include in your buying decision when considering return on investment?
Jul 28, 2018
75 posts
114 upvotes
macnut wrote: At least one local government around here is giving consideration to banning gas powered leaf blowers, at least ones used by homeowners.

Not necessarily from an eco point of view but based purely on the noise level and the annoyance factor for neighbours and the community at large.

All to do with human flourishing and liveable cities.

For professional yard care companies there would need to be exemptions and/or a phase-in period.

I think it will happen eventually on a broad basis. Something to include in your buying decision when considering return on investment?
Interesting... I see commercial landscaping companies as the problem. They literally blow debris off their clients property onto the streets, or somewhere else. Time is money.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6305 posts
1948 upvotes
BC
MarkL89865 wrote: I see commercial landscaping companies as the problem. They literally blow debris off their clients property onto the streets, or somewhere else.
Yes, indeed! It can be a quite fruitless and self-centered exercise.

At least homeowners with leaf blowers are more inclined to bag or vacuum up what they blow.

The landscape contractors cause more work for local government street maintenance which we all pay for in property taxes/rent.

Wouldn't bother me at all if it was mandated that only battery operated leaf vacs can be used. What do other people think?