• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2022 10:15 pm
Tags:
Feb 12, 2019
65 posts
174 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario

Thoughts on Green Plates in HOV Lanes?

I'm considering an electric or hybrid for my next car, because I like the technology, environmental-friendless, but most importantly unrestricted access to HOV lanes!
My question is, in a few years, there will be so many EVs on the road. Does that mean this perk will probably end soon?
I live close to a lot of HOV lanes and often drive during rush hour, so a green plate can save me so much time, for now.
85 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
355 upvotes
Let me consult my crystal ball and get back to you
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
VincentT860655 wrote: I'm considering an electric or hybrid for my next car, because I like the technology, environmental-friendless, but most importantly unrestricted access to HOV lanes!
Hybrids (which are 100% powered by gasoline) don't qualify for green plates, ONLY vehicles with plugs. PHEVs and BEVs, INCLUDING the misnamed Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (which is actually a PHEV, not a hybrid).
Last edited by Rob_EV on Apr 9th, 2021 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
I don't use HOV lanes, but this is my opinion.

I don't think the perk will ever end officially, but there may be the situation in the future that there are so many vehicles that qualify to use the HOV, that it would be as busy / crowded in the HOV as the regular lanes.

But so what? If an electric vehicle fits your life, one single factor should not discourage you to buy one.

Vice-versa, you should not buy an electric vehicle based on one single factor.

good luck!
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Will there be a lot more EV's in a few years? That's debatable, till you can buy a crossover with 500km range with AWD at $35k I don't see it happening. Also, the general public suffers from range anxiety even though they only putt around town but somehow believe they need a EV that recharges to 100% in 5 mins and need 500kms daily.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
This thought has crossed my mind too, more as an idle thought as I cruise in the HOV lane during rush hour on the odd times when I have to go to my offices or see a client, and I’m pretty sure that it would take at least another 5 years before we’ll see a noticeable surge in green plates.

If you commute to work (either now or will do so once everybody is back at the office), then I’d say pick up a cheap (but most expensive that you can afford) EV for sure. You may or may not get yourself return on the increased purchase price through gas savings, but time is one thing that you’ll never get back. If it can save you a half hour a day both ways (or I can see it be even close to each way depending where you commute from), then it’s invaluable.

Just like the 407, in this case, money can buy you time.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
VincentT860655 wrote: I'm considering an electric or hybrid for my next car, because I like the technology, environmental-friendless, but most importantly unrestricted access to HOV lanes!
My question is, in a few years, there will be so many EVs on the road. Does that mean this perk will probably end soon?
I live close to a lot of HOV lanes and often drive during rush hour, so a green plate can save me so much time, for now.
It's already so busy during rush hour that's it's often just as slow. Sometimes the HOV is even slower because of someone going 90kph on it. I wouldn't buy one JUST for that, but it is nice when it works out for you. I guess you're driving from Oakville to TO daily, so it might be worth it for you in that case.
A used Leaf, Volt, Fusion Energi, etc is probably best value as they can be had for about $20k.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
For me it's basically useless as even when I was commuting to work, there was no HOV lane on my commute (actually there was one when I used to work in Gatineau, QC but they don't have the same rule and having a Green plate didn't allow me to use it).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
I hope it's replaced with HOT.

Tolls only. We need the revenue, and $ talks.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
angryaudifanatic wrote: I hope it's replaced with HOT.

Tolls only. We need the revenue, and $ talks.
Green plate vehicles won't have to pay the tolls to use HOT lanes.
Green licence plates
Vehicles with these plates have ongoing access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes and no-cost access to High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes on 400-series highways and the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), even if there is only one person in the car. HOV lanes are otherwise reserved for vehicles carrying two or more people.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
Rob_EV wrote: Green plate vehicles won't have to pay the tolls to use HOT lanes.
Do Green plate vehicles still pay toll on 407? I thought they did but don't live in the area and I've never used it.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
michelb wrote: Do Green plate vehicles still pay toll on 407? I thought they did but don't live in the area and I've never used it.
YES, 407 is leased for 99 years by a foreign company (thanks to Mike Harris) who LOVES free Canadian money.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
My point was to remove freebies for electric cars.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
angryaudifanatic wrote: My point was to remove freebies for electric cars.
Would be funny to see the sales numbers after this silly trend ends. You mean I'm not getting back 14k?!?!? To hell with the environment!
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: YES, 407 is leased for 99 years by a foreign company (thanks to Mike Harris) who LOVES free Canadian money.
The dude coulda have leased it for 20 years or 30 years... But no, he had to screw an entire generation or two.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
michelb wrote: Do Green plate vehicles still pay toll on 407? I thought they did but don't live in the area and I've never used it.
The only plates not charged are those registered as tow trucks.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
HOV is not so great if there is a beige Corolla driving 100km/hr in front of you and blocking the whole lane and you have to keep driving for few KM until the next exit to legally get out of the HOV lane.

I laugh whenever I see cars blocked by slow cars at HOV and going a lot slower than other regular lanes and I'm pissed IF i 'm the one who get blocked.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Anikiri wrote: The dude coulda have leased it for 20 years or 30 years... But no, he had to screw an entire generation or two.
I don’t have a problem paying tolls but we’re being hosed on the toll amounts. For the same price one way charged from Vaughan Westbound to end of the 407 you can drive from Exit 50 to Exit 15 along the entire NY interstate.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
100Pacer wrote: I don’t have a problem paying tolls but we’re being hosed on the toll amounts. For the same price one way charged from Vaughan Westbound to end of the 407 you can drive from Exit 50 to Exit 15 along the entire NY interstate.
I agree, the tolls are crazy expensive.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
HOV lane should have minimum speed. 80KM corolla with drapes and visors? Bam, 400 dollar ticket.

I got a survey from MTO about improving highways.
One question was minimum speeds and increasing max speeds to 120.
Don't know if anything came of it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)