Food & Drink

Thoughts on this heritage the rock forged cookware set?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 11:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2009
1371 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto

Thoughts on this heritage the rock forged cookware set?

Canadian Tire Link

I know enough to avoid looking at Crappy Tire's regular price. Looking for some opinions. Would greatly appreciate some insight or suggestions.
13 replies
May 25, 2020
68 posts
96 upvotes
BC
Hi, we bought that set when it was on sale. Maybe it was for $200?$250 a few years ago. After a year or so, the inside of the pots will get chipped and peel off. Not sure if it's safe to eat/cook out of
so we threw it out.There were like ...craters?holes? That's not the right word but inside the pots wasn't smooth any more. You can kinda see the layers. It had a rust/brown colour.
You might not notice it until you look at it close up.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7126 posts
4415 upvotes
Between Countries
I love my Heritage The Rock pans. We've had them for years and they're in great shape. One thing. There are different versions of Heritage The Rock and I don't like the ones at Canadian Tire as they are not induction capable. We bought ours at Costco and those ones are capable of working on induction cooktops.
May 28, 2012
11938 posts
4539 upvotes
Saskatoon
I bought the 2 piece set from Costco many years ago. Nothing spectacular about the product and they were thrown out after a few months of use. I wouldn't buy again.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18033 posts
12752 upvotes
Markham
Nancy604 wrote: Hi, we bought that set when it was on sale. Maybe it was for $200?$250 a few years ago. After a year or so, the inside of the pots will get chipped and peel off. Not sure if it's safe to eat/cook out of
so we threw it out.There were like ...craters?holes? That's not the right word but inside the pots wasn't smooth any more. You can kinda see the layers. It had a rust/brown colour.
You might not notice it until you look at it close up.
It carries a 3 yr exchange warranty. I would've brought them in and got them to exchange them.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 25, 2020
68 posts
96 upvotes
BC
gr8dlr wrote: It carries a 3 yr exchange warranty. I would've brought them in and got them to exchange them.
Oh.. We didn't know. It's too late now.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12489 posts
3207 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I bought the 2 piece set from Costco many years ago. Nothing spectacular about the product and they were thrown out after a few months of use. I wouldn't buy again.
Same here. Possibly the same 2 set.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2009
1371 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the insight. Any recommendations for a set? My budget is around $300
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6472 posts
831 upvotes
BC
DiceMan wrote: I love my Heritage The Rock pans. We've had them for years and they're in great shape. One thing. There are different versions of Heritage The Rock and I don't like the ones at Canadian Tire as they are not induction capable. We bought ours at Costco and those ones are capable of working on induction cooktops.
This exactly! I had a pan from CanTire and it did not hold up well... the set I got from Costco was of much higher quality and lasted a few years, they were still in good condition when I gave them away and upgraded to something new.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1870 upvotes
Scarborough
Bojangles416 wrote: Thanks for the insight. Any recommendations for a set? My budget is around $300
Well, didn't see anything within $300 if you want a really good quality set. Though if you can go for $400, I found this 10pc set for All-Clad HA1 Nonstick Hard-Anodized 10-Piece Cookware Set in Grey on sale at 50% off for $399.99 (Reg. $799.99) with free shipping from Bed Bath & Beyond in the link below. All-Clad is one of the best rated brands seen.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/p ... d-cookware
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18033 posts
12752 upvotes
Markham
Bojangles416 wrote: Thanks for the insight. Any recommendations for a set? My budget is around $300
You need maybe a few non-stick pans for frying (small one, medium, maybe a wok/large fry pan). The pans you boil in, cook in you don't need non-stick. Stainless is likely best IMO for those pans. I'd buy a stainless set and add some non-stick fry pans/skillets.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
Aren't these supposed to have like a lifetime guarantee or something? Or did an infomercial lie to me again?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15102 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Aren't these supposed to have like a lifetime guarantee or something? Or did an infomercial lie to me again?
Not lifetime it's 3yr. #1 thing that kills non-stick pans is ppl doing nonsense like using metal utensils in them :rolleyes: Even "The Rock" pans which are allegedly much more rugged I'd never use metal utensils in them. Only use wood, plastic, silicone tools with them, clean them promptly (so acids in things like tomatoes, vegetables, etc. don't damage them) and they'll last for decades, even ones that don't have "The Rock" type coating on them.

Also beware do NOT use these if you have avian pets (birds) as the fumes from these pans will kill them--regular Rock is only PFOA free but still uses PTFE (Teflon). There are Rock pans that don't have PTFE & PFOA--the ceramic ones and then new "Zero" ones which are CT exclusive and also insanely expensive. I have one ceramic one, it's okay and a must for when my sister occasionally brings her birds to my house but the regular ones the non-stick is actually much better. You still have to oil the ceramic one, and it's still not as good as the Teflon ones, but hey it's better than a pan w/o non-stick.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29051 posts
14592 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: #1 thing that kills non-stick pans is ppl doing nonsense like using metal utensils in them :rolleyes: Even "The Rock" pans which are allegedly much more rugged I'd never use metal utensils in them.
Not specifically to the rock, but aren't most of these ads specifically saying they're metal utensil safe?
Only use wood, plastic, silicone tools with them, clean them promptly (so acids in things like tomatoes, vegetables, etc. don't damage them) and they'll last for decades, even ones that don't have "The Rock" type coating on them.
I (kind of) baby my non sticks so I have about a half dozen that have lasted me close to a decade. They weren't expensive either.
A couple pans coatings have become less non stick, but they're still okay for some things.
I don't even baby them that hard either.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.