• Aug 29th, 2021 4:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1296 posts
472 upvotes

Thoughts on Koodo Offer?

I need a new iPhone to replace an old SE, and have become wary of Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace. I am on the Koodo 11gb for $40 deal from the PM transfer a few years ago, so I cannot get a phone on the tab. However, Koodo has offered me a 4gb plan for 2 years for $40, and then I can order the 64gb 12 Mini for $21 a month for those 2 years. I rarely use more than 2gb a month, but in RFD fashion I am so reluctant to give up this plan, and who knows what I will need 2 years from now? What would you do? They are giving me to Wednesday to decide.

My wife also needs to replace her 6s, currently with Telus for 5gb for $55 a month. I am thinking an 11 or XR, but we really don't care about phones--she is just out of space. Recommendations would be appreciated. I could switch her to the Koodo 5gb for $45 plan and use the tab, but she likes Telus. I suppose I could use Orchard or Mobile Klinic to buy the phone and keep her Telus plan.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19071 posts
6436 upvotes
Toronto
I'm surprised you could get Tab Plus on a $40 plan since the minimum is $45.

Did the agent say why you can't get a tab with the $40/6 PM migration plan? My family is on the same plan. I got the recertified iPhone SE and my brother got the recertified Samsung s20 FE and we both kept the same plan with the 5 GB add-on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1296 posts
472 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I'm surprised you could get Tab Plus on a $40 plan since the minimum is $45.

Did the agent say why you can't get a tab with the $40/6 PM migration plan? My family is on the same plan. I got the recertified iPhone SE and my brother got the recertified Samsung s20 FE and we both kept the same plan with the 5 GB add-on.
They didn’t give me a reason other than my plan didn’t qualify. I can still get a phone but I can’t get a deal like on the 12 mini. It would cost me $250 more as opposed to getting it on the tab.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19071 posts
6436 upvotes
Toronto
Philbert wrote: They didn’t give me a reason other than my plan didn’t qualify. I can still get a phone but I can’t get a deal like on the 12 mini. It would cost me $250 more as opposed to getting it on the tab.
I personally prefer smaller phones and went from an iPhone 8 to an iPhone SE. I could probably get used to the 12 Mini but I could not keep my existing plan so I just went with the like-new iPhone SE 64 GB for $0 up front, $10/month, and kept my plan.

Did you try doing an upgrade online on Tab Small? I've read posts from people on the $40/8 migration plan who couldn't upgrade.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1296 posts
472 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I personally prefer smaller phones and went from an iPhone 8 to an iPhone SE. I could probably get used to the 12 Mini but I could not keep my existing plan so I just went with the like-new iPhone SE 64 GB for $0 up front, $10/month, and kept my plan.

Did you try doing an upgrade online on Tab Small? I've read posts from people on the $40/8 migration plan who couldn't upgrade.
I would be happy with the re-certified SE but it is sold out. How did you get the SE for $240? The only way to get it for $10 a month is to do Tab Basic and pay $260 up front. You do get a $5 credit each month.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19071 posts
6436 upvotes
Toronto
Philbert wrote: I would be happy with the re-certified SE but it is sold out. How did you get the SE for $240? The only way to get it for $10 a month is to do Tab Basic and pay $260 up front. You do get a $5 credit each month.
I got the phone when it was zero up front and $10/month on Tab Basic. A few days after I ordered the phone online, it went up in price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1296 posts
472 upvotes
I think I am going to keep the 11gb plan and just buy the phone outright on Kijiji, Mobile Klinic, or Orchard. Used SEs can be had for $325-350. I will wait, though, until after Koodo's call on Wednesday to see what else they may offer. In some ways it's a moot point because they are sold out of the phones I would consider.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19071 posts
6436 upvotes
Toronto
Philbert wrote: I think I am going to keep the 11gb plan and just buy the phone outright on Kijiji, Mobile Klinic, or Orchard. Used SEs can be had for $325-350. I will wait, though, until after Koodo's call on Wednesday to see what else they may offer. In some ways it's a moot point because they are sold out of the phones I would consider.
I assume you tried to do an online upgrade and it wouldn't allow it?

I was told that I would lose the free 5 GB add-on if I do an upgrade; therefore, when I went to do my brother's upgrade online, I had a loyalty rep on the phone with me. The rep said he will stay on the line and check to see if the 5 GB disappears after completing the upgrade. If it did, the loyalty rep said he could add it back. Turns out the 5 GB did not disappear and there were no changes to his plan other than the addition of a $240 tab to his account. As a result of my brother's success, I use the online system to upgrade without the assistance of a rep and the 5 GB did not disappear.

You could also wait a bit and hope the phones get restocked.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1296 posts
472 upvotes
audit13 wrote: I assume you tried to do an online upgrade and it wouldn't allow it?

I was told that I would lose the free 5 GB add-on if I do an upgrade; therefore, when I went to do my brother's upgrade online, I had a loyalty rep on the phone with me. The rep said he will stay on the line and check to see if the 5 GB disappears after completing the upgrade. If it did, the loyalty rep said he could add it back. Turns out the 5 GB did not disappear and there were no changes to his plan other than the addition of a $240 tab to his account. As a result of my brother's success, I use the online system to upgrade without the assistance of a rep and the 5 GB did not disappear.

You could also wait a bit and hope the phones get restocked.
I do not have the option to purchase any phone on the Tab unless I cancel my plan and sign up for one $45 or more. I get this: "Want to keep this plan? Buy this device at retail price (without the Tab)."
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19071 posts
6436 upvotes
Toronto
Philbert wrote: I do not have the option to purchase any phone on the Tab unless I cancel my plan and sign up for one $45 or more. I get this: "Want to keep this plan? Buy this device at retail price (without the Tab)."
I guess you'll have to wait to see what the agent has to offer. I hope you can get a good deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1471 posts
2044 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Philbert wrote: I need a new iPhone to replace an old SE, ...

My wife also needs to replace her 6s,
Psst! Apple offers iphone 0% financing in Canada, you might want to look into that. Especially with phones that don't cost a lot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1296 posts
472 upvotes
For better of worse, here is what I did: Despite having an 11GB plan, I have not used more than 2GB in 1.5 years. In June I used 750mb. So, speaking with Koodo Retention, I downgraded the plan to an unlimited text and call plan with 4GB for $30 a month, which allowed me to add a pre-owned iPhone XS with 256GB in "great" condition for $420 in Tab basic. The other option was to pay $380 for the phone on the Tab but at $40 a month for 10GB. Since I'd be paying for GBs I'd never use I decided against it. If my situation changes I will just upgrade the plan. There may be better options but my wife's phone needed to be replaced asap, and I didn't see any XS phones for that price anywhere. XR is too big and heavy, and iPhone 12 too costly.
For myself, I picked up a 64GB SE with warranty to March 2022 for $300 on Facebook Marketplace. 96 battery health, but with the tiniest chip at bottom of glass, which doesn't bother me.