• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2020 12:14 am
[OP]
May 4, 2017
105 posts
106 upvotes
Montreal

Thoughts on the Ryzen 4700U Dell Inspiron

I've been using my MacBook Pro 15" (2018) for more than a year and I also have an iPad Pro. I built a desktop recently, I don't use my MacBook a lot and I feel like it's not snappy in daily tasks.
So I decided to get a 2-in-1 that supports an active pen; and to sell my MacBook Pro and my iPad Pro.
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/2-in-1- ... 405_s1106e
This has a Ryzen 7 4700U, an 8-core/8-thread processor that is pretty much on par with the i7-8850H (the CPU on my MacBook). It has 8GB RAM but apparently it's upgradeable; so I'll order another stick of 8 or 16GB RAM once I receive it. I assume it'll last me around 5 hours on a single charge.
I will mainly be using it for coding and taking notes in class; I have my desktop for anything more anyways.
It comes to $1264 with tax (QC) after Unidays, I don't know if Rakuten/ebates will work on an order with a coupon. Hopefully I'll receive it mid-June.
What do you think about the processor, and the laptop in general? There are similarly priced Intel 2-in-1s too, but they're 10th gen i5/i7s (10210u, 10510u) and they perform worse.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3345 posts
398 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Your home desktop would likely render any difference in performance between the laptop candidates moot, so don't focus too much on performance.

I would think about what makes the laptop comfortable to use, like screen brightness, viewing angles, trackpad sensitivity, keyboard tactility, surface temperature under idle and load, fan noise, etc.

From the ones which do well in these areas, pick the one with the best battery life.