Thoughts on Scotia's telephone banking security features

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 10:06 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
177 posts
216 upvotes

Thoughts on Scotia's telephone banking security features

When calling Scotia through telephone banking, no PIN is required. They only ask for the 3 digits on the back of your bank card after entering the 16 digits on the front of the card. After entering the numbers on the front and back of the card, their automated system then proceeds to say your account balance automatically. Is this not a security flaw? With Scotia's system, anyone who has access to your bank card (lost, stolen, ect) can access confidential account details.

While a PIN is needed to access funds from my account, I would think that the same PIN would be needed to get access to my account details.
6 replies
Dec 12, 2016
309 posts
276 upvotes
MTLCPA wrote: When calling Scotia through telephone banking, no PIN is required. They only ask for the 3 digits on the back of your bank card after entering the 16 digits on the front of the card. After entering the numbers on the front and back of the card, their automated system then proceeds to say your account balance automatically. Is this not a security flaw? With Scotia's system, anyone who has access to your bank card (lost, stolen, ect) can access confidential account details.

While a PIN is needed to access funds from my account, I would think that the same PIN would be needed to get access to my account details.
I called them today and thought the same thing. At first, I thought maybe they have my phone number on file and auto authenticated me that way, but then I realized I was calling from my home phone which is not linked to my profile.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8107 posts
3599 upvotes
Markham
MTLCPA wrote: When calling Scotia through telephone banking, no PIN is required. They only ask for the 3 digits on the back of your bank card after entering the 16 digits on the front of the card. After entering the numbers on the front and back of the card, their automated system then proceeds to say your account balance automatically. Is this not a security flaw? With Scotia's system, anyone who has access to your bank card (lost, stolen, ect) can access confidential account details.

Is it just telling you balance? Can you do other things such as payment or move your money? I think just tell balance is ok
[OP]
Mar 6, 2015
177 posts
216 upvotes
smartie wrote: Is it just telling you balance? Can you do other things such as payment or move your money? I think just tell balance is ok
It's a privacy issue. Being able to access personal banking info without needing a PIN isn't right and should be fixed by Scotia's technical team. Plus now many cards have the bank account holder's name printed on the debit card. Therefore, you can tie a name to the account balance which makes it even worse.
Oct 27, 2012
811 posts
772 upvotes
Toronto
Just tried it from a phone number not tied to my account. Wow, that's concerning!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1406 posts
774 upvotes
Good evening

1985 called, and they want their telephone banking back
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8107 posts
3599 upvotes
Markham
ozzie16 wrote: Just tried it from a phone number not tied to my account. Wow, that's concerning!
What's your concern? Someone steals your card and know your balance?