Art and Photography

thoughts on Sony ZV-E10? need help with camera purchase

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2021 9:32 pm

Poll: Which one would you pick?

• Total votes: 3. You have voted on this poll.
Sony ZV-E10

33%
Sony A7C

0%
Fujifilm X-T4

33%
Fujifilm X-S10

33%
[OP]
Mar 18, 2006
614 posts
61 upvotes

thoughts on Sony ZV-E10? need help with camera purchase

I'm in the market for a mirrorless camera and this caught my eye and also the fact that it's new.

My main purpose is for 70% photography 30% video. I've been doing some research online and this seems to be a video/blogger version of the A6100 which isn't a bad thing considering it even cheaper and that thing is a couple years old now.

My only real concern is that there is very little physical controls and dials which is another reason I'm shying away and looking into more expensive options like the Fuji X-T4 and Sony A7C.

I want portability and really just need this for indoor product photography and close ups. It does seem like the Fuji is the best all round of the 3 but somehow the Sony brand seems to be more appealing to me on a personal level.

If you had to pick what would you go for?
Would you step up from ZV-E10 to the 7C or X-T4 for more than twice the $?

Thanks for your inputs.
Last edited by manoflegend12 on Aug 4th, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~=[,,_,,]:3
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1495 posts
848 upvotes
For the sake of just choosing one, I'll say A7C. Full frame is not a necessity, but I do like the option to have more shallow depth of field or using a higher ISO without getting a too noisy picture or video.

You picked 3 cameras that have each of their own selections of lenses. Honestly, look into the lenses first.

I jumped on the mirrorless hype train when the Sony Nex-3 and Nex-5 came out (11 years ago) and used it for a while. It uses the APS-C lenses of E-mount. Even now, the lenses are lacking and what we have is old and subpar compared to the competition. Luckily there's option from Sigma, but as always, 3rd party lenses will not be as fast in term of AF than 1st party lenses.

A7C has the best lenses selection in my opinion, with the most premium options, but it comes with a high price tag as well. I'm a prime lens user (no better or worst, just fit my style) and if I have the budget, Sony has any of the FE prime lenses I'll need.

Fuji is great as well.

Sony is really good at making you want their APS-C bodies with a compact form, low prices and amazing features (real time continuous AF, “product showcase” in video mode, etc). I just wish they could update some of their old lenses and release some new ones.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1323 posts
568 upvotes
Barrie
manoflegend12 wrote: I want portability and really just need this for indoor product photography and close ups. It does seem like the Fuji is the best all round of the 3 but somehow the Sony brand seems to be more appealing to me on a personal level.
I used an a6400 with a $200 macro lens (7artisans 60mm F2.8 macro) for these mini cheesecake (2 inches) shots. I believe the sony zv-e10 has a similar sensor so if you are only going to be doing light editing and posting to social media I would say go with the sony and save some money for better lighting/lens'.

If you are shooting product photography indoors a good lighting setup would help out a lot. The ZVE10 does seem to be tailored more for video work though so you may want to look at other body options as well if your main focus would be on photography.

NKB00906.jpg
NKB00997.jpg
NKB00998.jpg
NKB01000.jpg
[OP]
Mar 18, 2006
614 posts
61 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote: For the sake of just choosing one, I'll say A7C. Full frame is not a necessity, but I do like the option to have more shallow depth of field or using a higher ISO without getting a too noisy picture or video.

You picked 3 cameras that have each of their own selections of lenses. Honestly, look into the lenses first.

I jumped on the mirrorless hype train when the Sony Nex-3 and Nex-5 came out (11 years ago) and used it for a while. It uses the APS-C lenses of E-mount. Even now, the lenses are lacking and what we have is old and subpar compared to the competition. Luckily there's option from Sigma, but as always, 3rd party lenses will not be as fast in term of AF than 1st party lenses.

A7C has the best lenses selection in my opinion, with the most premium options, but it comes with a high price tag as well. I'm a prime lens user (no better or worst, just fit my style) and if I have the budget, Sony has any of the FE prime lenses I'll need.

Fuji is great as well.

Sony is really good at making you want their APS-C bodies with a compact form, low prices and amazing features (real time continuous AF, “product showcase” in video mode, etc). I just wish they could update some of their old lenses and release some new ones.
Thanks @Gin Martini

Can you clarify what you meant by the 3 being in their own selection of lenses? My understanding is that Sony uses E-Mount and if I were to go with the lower end APS-C sensor, w/e lenses I buy from Sony would work for Full Frame down the road?

I also have been comparing Sony lenses vs Fuji and it seems like the Fuji offerings are more or much more expensive for a Sony equivalent lens. Which is another reason why I'm hesitant in committing to the Fuji system.
Apr 27, 2017
315 posts
251 upvotes
when i was choosing between sony and fuji, i found Sony much more expensive
[OP]
Mar 18, 2006
614 posts
61 upvotes
Qwesty905 wrote: i'd even recommend Fuji XS-10
Ya that also came up also and I really like the smaller body vs the X-T4 and has is the cheapest IBIS for that price point.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1495 posts
848 upvotes
manoflegend12 wrote: Thanks @Gin Martini

Can you clarify what you meant by the 3 being in their own selection of lenses? My understanding is that Sony uses E-Mount and if I were to go with the lower end APS-C sensor, w/e lenses I buy from Sony would work for Full Frame down the road?

I also have been comparing Sony lenses vs Fuji and it seems like the Fuji offerings are more or much more expensive for a Sony equivalent lens. Which is another reason why I'm hesitant in committing to the Fuji system.
I meant that the 3 have their own selection of lenses because I separated the E-Mount's full frame and APS-C lenses. You are correct that if you buy a full frame E-Mount lens and use it on the ZV-E10, it'll work and you'll be able to keep it when you upgrade to a Full Frame body.

Unfortunately, there are a few cons if you do that. Like the typical: it'll be bigger, heavier and more expensive, but the biggest problem is that your APS-C camera will be using half the area of the lenses, meaning it'll get half the maximum detail the lens can produce/resolve if put on a Full Frame.

I have kept my APS-C E-mount lenses and I have the 50mm F1.8 lens and also an A6000. I also have the 55mm F1.8 FE lens that I purchased when I got my A7 III. Last year, out of curiosity, I test it out myself (have heard of it online, never tried). The Sony/Zeiss 55mm F1.8 and the Sony 50mm F1.8 (SEL50F18) on my old A6000 and I couldn't tell which was better... I made sure to move the camera for the 5mm difference. One cost less than 1/3rd the price and it was making the same result + it has Optical image stabilizer. All my FE lenses that I tried on my A6000 looked much worse than on my A7III, because they are not designed to be optimal on APS-C.

That's why I said they have their own selection of lenses, because I find that it is not a great idea to get FF lenses if you own an APS-C camera. Unlike a decade ago, FF cameras now cost only a little bit more, so if you're buying FE lenses just so you can move to FF later, you might as well get a FF camera now.
[OP]
Mar 18, 2006
614 posts
61 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote: I meant that the 3 have their own selection of lenses because I separated the E-Mount's full frame and APS-C lenses. You are correct that if you buy a full frame E-Mount lens and use it on the ZV-E10, it'll work and you'll be able to keep it when you upgrade to a Full Frame body.

Unfortunately, there are a few cons if you do that. Like the typical: it'll be bigger, heavier and more expensive, but the biggest problem is that your APS-C camera will be using half the area of the lenses, meaning it'll get half the maximum detail the lens can produce/resolve if put on a Full Frame.

I have kept my APS-C E-mount lenses and I have the 50mm F1.8 lens and also an A6000. I also have the 55mm F1.8 FE lens that I purchased when I got my A7 III. Last year, out of curiosity, I test it out myself (have heard of it online, never tried). The Sony/Zeiss 55mm F1.8 and the Sony 50mm F1.8 (SEL50F18) on my old A6000 and I couldn't tell which was better... I made sure to move the camera for the 5mm difference. One cost less than 1/3rd the price and it was making the same result + it has Optical image stabilizer. All my FE lenses that I tried on my A6000 looked much worse than on my A7III, because they are not designed to be optimal on APS-C.

That's why I said they have their own selection of lenses, because I find that it is not a great idea to get FF lenses if you own an APS-C camera. Unlike a decade ago, FF cameras now cost only a little bit more, so if you're buying FE lenses just so you can move to FF later, you might as well get a FF camera now.
Yes I think I totally understand what you mean. I'll do some research on FF vs FE lenses. But right now I'll be taking your suggestion to study the lens offers between the 2 brands so I can account for how much I'll be spending. Like you said, there are some good prime lens and I don't necessarily need to opt for a $1500 Zeiss. I'm not using it for traveling so don't really need a zoom lens.

I'm currently looking at this should I be going ahead with the A7C
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/came ... s/sel50m28
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1495 posts
848 upvotes
manoflegend12 wrote: Yes I think I totally understand what you mean. I'll do some research on FF vs FE lenses. But right now I'll be taking your suggestion to study the lens offers between the 2 brands so I can account for how much I'll be spending. Like you said, there are some good prime lens and I don't necessarily need to opt for a $1500 Zeiss. I'm not using it for traveling so don't really need a zoom lens.

I'm currently looking at this should I be going ahead with the A7C
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/came ... s/sel50m28
I think that's best to research everything first before buying the body. Good luck on your purchase!
Apr 27, 2017
315 posts
251 upvotes
what kind of photography are you planning on doing?
[OP]
Mar 18, 2006
614 posts
61 upvotes
Qwesty905 wrote: what kind of photography are you planning on doing?
would be using it for product and close up photography

I also want some video function so I can transfer it to my phone and upload to tiktok and instagram

I'm currently using an iPhone and feel that although it takes decent pictures, there is still something left to be desired. Still not able to have good depth of field and not enough detail. I'm also having trouble getting my iPhone to focus when I get too close to get those close up shots and that was the primary reason I decided to should get an actual camera. I will for sure buy a Macro lens since I think they can be used for dual purpose both portraits and getting very close to the subject.

Let me know your thoughts and if I'm going in the right direction.

Thank you as always Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Do you have the X-S10 yourself? If so, any critiques?

For Fuji, I found these 2 macro lens, definitely not going to invest in the 80mm since that is north of $1600
https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/ ... 4-r-macro/
https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/ ... -wr-macro/
Apr 27, 2017
315 posts
251 upvotes
if you are doing that, you do not need full frame.

with product photography you need lots of light and any camera will look great with lots of light.

up to you if you have money to spend more on Sony

also have you thought about manual focus lenses? cheaper and well reviewed for fuji
https://www.jaymesdempsey.com/best-macr ... -fujifilm/

i do mostly portraits with my fuji camera...this is with a manual focus 7artisans 33mm f0.95 lens
you can see how sharp it is with natural light
Images
  • DSCF3279-Edit-2.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
2951 posts
291 upvotes
Just picked up a e10.

Not for you OP since you do 70% photo. It doesn’t have a evf and I’d imagine anyone taking photos outdoors needs/wants one.
Toronto Illusionist and close-up Magician.
Mar 14, 2017
5 posts
3 upvotes
Any of those cameras will give you good image quality, to be honest. I have a ZV-E10 and I love it. It really excels in autofocus and if you're a novice it has one button that swaps from movie to slow motion to photography. It's essentially an idiot-proof camera. The only downside I see is that you are looking for a photography camera first and foremost. The ZV-E10 doesn't have an EVF which is probably a deal-breaker. Then again, if you're looking at only doing indoor photography then an EVF might not be essential. For outdoor use then yes because of the bright light you will need an EVF. If you decide to get the ZV-E10, make sure you pick up a sigma 16mm F1.4 lens. That thing is godly and will make everything look amazing. This setup will cost you a little over 1500$ and the photos will be indistinguishable from any pro-level camera. Also, grab the model that comes with the kit lens. Not the best lens but severely underappreciated. The focal range is very practical.