• Jul 13th, 2020 12:01 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3109 posts
1813 upvotes

Thoughts on wrench monkey?

I ordered a suspension kit and then later stumbled on their facebook page where alot of people do not recommend them.
I tried calling them to confirm my order will arrive on the 2nd of july with no success.
Am I just a worry wart?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5081 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
I ordered tonnes of parts online but not from monkeys. I usually deal with small defects myself but haven't encountered DOA part to return or needed to send in malfunctioned part after certain days for warranty.

Just have mentality of keeping it when ordering online. Else, go to local part store to buy the coilovers at 10%+ more. Even then, it's effy if they will accept returns on special order, because most parts you need they don't stock em.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3109 posts
1813 upvotes
I just got an email from wrench monkey stating parts are not available and needs 1 to 3 business days to source it from USA. I wasted 5 business days for this when I should have ordered from rockauto in the first place and would have received the parts already. Sometimes it is just hard to buy from canadian store when service and comittment is just so bad.

Looks like rockauto is getting my $1.8k now.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27372 posts
7681 upvotes
I'm guessing they're mainly a middle-man/drop-shipper just like places like Tdotperformance, Essex, etc? Keep in mind I ordered KWs from Tdotperformance last year and got a similar email stating it could take "up to 30 days" to even source the parts, never mind the ship time. But, in the end I got them at my door in less than two weeks. Now I'm not an impatient guy so that was fine with me, and I was even prepared to wait the 30+ days, but they got 'em to me quick nonetheless. Doesn't sound like you're too patient given 5 business days sounds like it's putting you in agony so yeah.

Especially now you kind of have to be a bit patient for things, even if you're the type that's used to Amazon next-day/same-day deliveries lol. For a lot of stuff that's just not going to happen right now.

For $1800 I'd hope you're getting something good like Bilstiens, KWs, etc..well I guess you'd have to be for that money. When I got my KWs there was a $150 rebate on them which I did receive buying from Tdotperformance, and the cheque was in USD too :) Ended up being the best price I could find on them, better than US pricing for sure.

Rock Auto will probably come through better though because if they say something is in stock 99% of the time it will actually be in stock unlike some other more scummy places--I gotta deal with quattrotires right now :facepalm: and am already having a fun time with these jokers :rolleyes: They don't respond to emails and their phone system keeps you on hold for 30 minutes only to disconnect you abruptly :mad: But like I said I'm fairly patient, so not in a rush (winter tyre order anyway), but it's stupid to say something is clearly in-stock on your site and then have it not be in-stock after taking the money from someone.

Anyway best of luck.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1979 posts
290 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Sounds like Wrench Monkey is in the same category as Parts Avatar. That's bad on you for not doing a Google review search. I still buy a lot of my auto parts locally because I need it right away or the shipping kills the deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3109 posts
1813 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I'm guessing they're mainly a middle-man/drop-shipper just like places like Tdotperformance, Essex, etc? Keep in mind I ordered KWs from Tdotperformance last year and got a similar email stating it could take "up to 30 days" to even source the parts, never mind the ship time. But, in the end I got them at my door in less than two weeks. Now I'm not an impatient guy so that was fine with me, and I was even prepared to wait the 30+ days, but they got 'em to me quick nonetheless. Doesn't sound like you're too patient given 5 business days sounds like it's putting you in agony so yeah.

Especially now you kind of have to be a bit patient for things, even if you're the type that's used to Amazon next-day/same-day deliveries lol. For a lot of stuff that's just not going to happen right now.

For $1800 I'd hope you're getting something good like Bilstiens, KWs, etc..well I guess you'd have to be for that money. When I got my KWs there was a $150 rebate on them which I did receive buying from Tdotperformance, and the cheque was in USD too :) Ended up being the best price I could find on them, better than US pricing for sure.

Rock Auto will probably come through better though because if they say something is in stock 99% of the time it will actually be in stock unlike some other more scummy places--I gotta deal with quattrotires right now :facepalm: and am already having a fun time with these jokers :rolleyes: They don't respond to emails and their phone system keeps you on hold for 30 minutes only to disconnect you abruptly :mad: But like I said I'm fairly patient, so not in a rush (winter tyre order anyway), but it's stupid to say something is clearly in-stock on your site and then have it not be in-stock after taking the money from someone.

Anyway best of luck.
These shocks was for my mom's 2008 S450. Her car was like those 1980's jacked up Trans Am or Camaro.
So it is pretty urgent.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3109 posts
1813 upvotes
When you think things can't get worse. The order was shipped by FedEx and for some reason the 2 boxes ended up separated and did not arrive at the same time. Worse experience ever.

Two original balloon shocks was already 2K in parts with the other 2 being ticking timebomb. So went with a coil and spring conversion for the same amount in parts shipped.
Images
  • 20200710_153119.jpg
  • 20200711_130014.jpg
Jun 21, 2009
859 posts
291 upvotes
Ottawa
I only order exclusively from RockAuto to "feed" 3 cars. They have always come through for me, from product selection and availability to shipping speed. I am always very impressed. My fridge is covered with their magnets.

After a subpar experience with The Wrench Monkey years ago, I vowed to only give my business to RA. Despite this, I really wanted to try giving my business to a Canadian retailer but was utterly disappointed again. Places like The Wrench Monkey and Parts Avatar do everything they can to never get my business again.

The Wrench Monkey: no phone line to get through, website availability is often inaccurate. Tried to call prior to ordering, couldn't get through (no phone system, no voicemail message). Ordered via RA, had the part to my door two days later without any hassle.
Parts Avatar: very slow to ship a serpentine belt (5 days), customer service was unhelpful. Equivalent part on RA noted a 4 day delay but would've arrived at the same time with how slow PA were. Never again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)