Site Comments & Suggestions

Thread Hide option to also hide "Moved" posts

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 5:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1104 posts
387 upvotes
Victoria

Thread Hide option to also hide "Moved" posts

I've started to heavily use the Thread Hide option to not have to wade through the same posts over and over again. However, it doesn't seem to work to hide moved threads. So, once I've hidden everything except for the 3 or 4 threads I want to watch, my entire feed consists of moved posts. It would be great if it could hide these as well.

Unless I'm missing something in being able to hide the moved threads?

Thanks!
26 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 22, 2006
41894 posts
39931 upvotes
Economy
It's the same in the contests forum.
Don't take life too seriously.
No one gets out alive anyway.
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
15160 posts
28707 upvotes
Scarborough
The "moved" threads are shadow topic which allow users to know that those particular threads have been moved so they can still find them. In most forums, they should automatically be removed after ~24 hours.

When we created the system to hide threads, we didn't originally intend it for mass-hiding of all threads (which is when shadow topics become more of an issue). This is something we're planning on looking into but it's unlikely we'll get to it until next year.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Newbie
Nov 20, 2019
11 posts
4 upvotes
Would be nice to have a way for mass-hiding so we don't have to look at deals that are not relevant to us more than once. Thank you!
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
15160 posts
28707 upvotes
Scarborough
rfdisred wrote: Would be nice to have a way for mass-hiding so we don't have to look at deals that are not relevant to us more than once. Thank you!
I don't think a way to mass hide things will ever be implemented (we're a website that values people viewing content after all), but we are working on ways so that you'll need to hide less. My top new feature request for 2020 is a way to personalize and filter your default view. You'll be able to add and remove categories so that you see more of what you want to see, and less of what you don't. This type of filtering isn't perfect so you'll still be able to hide threads on top of it.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Newbie
Nov 20, 2019
11 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks Tom! It would still help if we can auto hide moved/merged threads :)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2727 posts
19528 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: The "moved" threads are shadow topic which allow users to know that those particular threads have been moved so they can still find them. In most forums, they should automatically be removed after ~24 hours.

When we created the system to hide threads, we didn't originally intend it for mass-hiding of all threads (which is when shadow topics become more of an issue). This is something we're planning on looking into but it's unlikely we'll get to it until next year.
Why does the move function not work when a poll is involved. When you sort active contest listings by date order this contest ( with a poll) appears yet it was moved in June.
Images
  • 5EC1AB58-C461-4E53-B397-77726D32362D.png
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
15160 posts
28707 upvotes
Scarborough
Pardon wrote: Why does the move function not work when a poll is involved. When you sort active contest listings by date order this contest ( with a poll) appears yet it was moved in June.
I think that was just an oversight. I removed the shadow topic.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2727 posts
19528 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I think that was just an oversight. I removed the shadow topic.
Thanks for the info.

I have also noticed this happening in other threads eg. Hot Deals, the last page and a half are all expired content that show moved but have not ( those threads also have polls attached to them).
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
15160 posts
28707 upvotes
Scarborough
Pardon wrote: Thanks for the info.

I have also noticed this happening in other threads eg. Hot Deals, the last page and a half are all expired content that show moved but have not ( those threads also have polls attached to them).
Yup, there's some clean up needed in Hot Deals too. I'll see what I can do. It's all done now.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2727 posts
19528 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I think that was just an oversight. I removed the shadow topic.
It’s still showing up and it’s been more than 24 hrs.
Images
  • D7F77A7E-0EA5-4B28-A2A2-70B520B78E0E.png
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
15160 posts
28707 upvotes
Scarborough
Pardon wrote: It’s still showing up and it’s been more than 24 hrs.
That thread is bugged out. Regular users shouldn't be able to see deleted threads (red highlighting). I'll speak to a dev to see if I can get it cleaned up.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Sr. Member
Apr 12, 2013
621 posts
560 upvotes
BC
Tom

As I use the 'hide thread' more often (great thanks!) my page is now 75% moved (et al) threads, and hiding those doesn't work.

Is it possible for RFD to hide these immediately, or at least within 24 hours? Alternatively allow users to hide them through a sitewide toggle or the hide function please.

NB thanks for fixing the https debacle!
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
15160 posts
28707 upvotes
Scarborough
Thread hiding works to remove regular threads from your view, but these moved/merged placeholders are actually shadow threads which the system cannot hide. These should automatically be removed after 24 hours. Are you still seeing them after that amount of time has passed?
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Sr. Member
Apr 12, 2013
621 posts
560 upvotes
BC
Most are recent, but for example I'm still seeing a thread last modified April 22nd (charmin bog roll) in Hot Deals. Also, hidden threads seem to reappear when they are moved etc. adding to the volume.

Can the system be altered to hide all these please Tom?
Sr. Member
Apr 12, 2013
621 posts
560 upvotes
BC
Tom: checked again this morning (Sun 26 9.30am MT) and still showing several merged/moved posts from the 22nd, and even one from April 11th.

The first page of Hot Deals now has 24 moved/merged threads and only 5 active posts. RFD is a victim of it's own success with the hide function!

Thanks again

Andrew
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
1876 posts
888 upvotes
Ontario
It might be a browser thing/cache setting as mine show very few if any usually.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Sr. Member
Apr 12, 2013
621 posts
560 upvotes
BC
Happens across devices and I've deleted my mobile cache to resolve an unrelated issue Icarus. I've been hiding lots of posts lately, which has exasperated the issue by condensing all the moved posts on page 1 and 2. Definitely a first world problem!
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
15160 posts
28707 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm going to look into the possibility of making these shadow threads respect each users thread hiding setting. It doesn't make sense to show a moved/merged shadow thread for something you've hidden.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]

Top