[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9534 posts
2257 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Thread search broken

I was searching in official-hardwood-flooring-thread-522165

All the older posts bring me to the wrong page, I have posts displayed per page set to 40.
Tried to open the result in incognito mode and it's still the wrong page.

Edit: Nop, set it to default and still broken, only the results/links from the most recent/first page works, as soon as you go to page 2+, it's broken.
4 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
"Search this thread" leaves a lot to be desired and does have issues like the one you mentioned. It's especially bad in really large threads. One of our long term goals is to completely re-do how search on our website works, which should make it a lot better all around. Try using Google to search our website as it may yield better results.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9534 posts
2257 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Yeah I used to run a forum back in the days, with 15k members and 1mil posts and search was always an issue with performance, indexes, etc.
phpBB wasn't the best then and I guess still isn't lol
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26580 upvotes
Scarborough
Daijoubu wrote: Yeah I used to run a forum back in the days, with 15k members and 1mil posts and search was always an issue with performance, indexes, etc.
phpBB wasn't the best then and I guess still isn't lol
You can say that again. PHPBB search probably works fine for small forums but with how many posts we have here, it's not so great. I know improving search is on our road map but I'm not sure when we'll get started on that. Hopefully in 2021.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4526 posts
2919 upvotes
Burnaby
Daijoubu wrote: I was searching in official-hardwood-flooring-thread-522165

All the older posts bring me to the wrong page, I have posts displayed per page set to 40.
Tried to open the result in incognito mode and it's still the wrong page.

Edit: Nop, set it to default and still broken, only the results/links from the most recent/first page works, as soon as you go to page 2+, it's broken.
TomRFD wrote: "Search this thread" leaves a lot to be desired and does have issues like the one you mentioned. It's especially bad in really large threads. One of our long term goals is to completely re-do how search on our website works, which should make it a lot better all around. Try using Google to search our website as it may yield better results.
TomRFD wrote: You can say that again. PHPBB search probably works fine for small forums but with how many posts we have here, it's not so great. I know improving search is on our road map but I'm not sure when we'll get started on that. Hopefully in 2021.
IMO, it's not that phpBB "search this thread" is lacking but the way RFD constructs the links to the posts in the query results list. RFD has chosen to present a human friendly link instead of a cryptic direct link to the post. This is unnecessary because there is a conversion later on when the link is resolved. The inclusion of the pagination throws correctness away. Particularly because pagination may differ when the user is logged in and when (s)he is browsing as lurker (user preferred post/page setting vs. default post/page). If RFD presented the links in a search result list as direct links using "viewtopic.php", thread number and post number, all the links in the query result list would work properly independently of the forum name (or number), thread name (string id with thread number appended to thread title, human friendly) or post/page setting.

You could easily test whether this method works for any result entry in a query result list regardless of the post/reply position (page) in the thread. Just test any link in the results list, replacing its current (link) address with a link using viewtopic.php with the thread id number and post id number of the post you want to jump to:

Code: Select all

Search in thread for "costco moto" in the thread 
" https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-motorola-moto-g8-power-4-64gb-270-notax-2394916/ "

---

Query result list:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/search.php?keywords=costco+moto&t=2394916

----

Link to posts in the result list is currently presented by RFD in this way (just an example):

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-motorola-moto-g8-power-4-64gb-270-notax-2394916/4/#p32958412

^ This link includes noise: thread title and page (pagination) and it may result 
on web browsers not finding such address (going then by default to the first page of the thread)

----

^ If links in the query result list were presented using viewtopic.php,  
the above link should instead be listed in the query result list in the following way:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/viewtopic.php?t=2394916&p=32958412

t = thread number,
p= post number

A link expressed this way is more likely to be resolved properly 
(the human friendly address reappears after the jump)

You guys can play with this suggestion on longer threads, to test whether or not it works properly.

----

This broken link issue has been a very old problem at RFD and I don't think it'd be a biggie to implement
the change suggested above (if it works properly) for the seasoned, handsomely-paid and competent RFD staff.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs