Credit Cards

Which three categories should I choose for Tangerine Cash Back Mastercard?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2018 10:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 26, 2018
1 posts

Which three categories should I choose for Tangerine Cash Back Mastercard?

My main expense would be shopping on Amazon (or other online stores) in the category of electronics. I don't see any category which covers online purchases. Someone please help.
11 replies
Jun 19, 2015
779 posts
698 upvotes
Set to Grocery, go to Grocery stores and buy Amazon gift cards and get 2% :)
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1453 posts
1109 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
How are we, as random people who haven't a clue about your budget or what you spend on things, supposed to tell you what categories to choose? Seriously think about that for a minute...
Mar 6, 2010
735 posts
94 upvotes
saberon2016 wrote: Set to Grocery, go to Grocery stores and buy Amazon gift cards and get 2% :)
mmm, just get a scotia AMEX and buy gift card only for shopping from Sobeys/Safeway. Then everything is basically 4% cash back. I should think this out earlier, it opens a new door for the credit card loophole. The Scotia Amex is preferred since it can go up to 50k purchase for 4% points back. Free vacation for the whole family every year.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3282 posts
1815 upvotes
hermit1988 wrote: mmm, just get a scotia AMEX and buy gift card only for shopping from Sobeys/Safeway. Then everything is basically 4% cash back. I should think this out earlier, it opens a new door for the credit card loophole. The Scotia Amex is preferred since it can go up to 50k purchase for 4% points back. Free vacation for the whole family every year.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
You can do better if you prefer to shop at Sobeys/Safeway. Use your AMEX card to buy Sobeys/Safeway gift cards from Shell gas station and earn Airmiles. It is 1AM per $10 spending at Shell. It is like extra 1%.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2174 posts
986 upvotes
Victoria
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if a card that gives 1 or 1.25% back on everything might be better for you?
Apr 25, 2011
277 posts
100 upvotes
Amex SimplyCash gives 1.25% on everything.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5125 posts
3584 upvotes
Rogers WE gives 1.75% on everything, no annual fee.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
🎁 Moola: 25% bonus on everyday essentials (Walmart, Esso and Uber Eats)
💳 Credit card combo (2-10% return): Amex + Scotiabank + MBNA
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2238 posts
432 upvotes
York
EdisonL299 wrote: Rogers WE gives 1.75% on everything, no annual fee.
But you have to either spend 25k annually on the Platinum card or have either 80k income or 150k total household income to qualify.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13679 posts
11177 upvotes
Leask
For the Ting MC, most users spend on G&G. It's better if you have another CC with better CB on G&G, then pick other categories on Ting.

I too think Rogers MC WE is a better deal, 1.75% CB on everything. No checking categories.
No solicitation in sigs
Jun 3, 2006
679 posts
80 upvotes
Markham
The recurring bill category is very good. It captures my cell/cable, 407, Presto, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5197 posts
1989 upvotes
Toronto
hermit1988 wrote: mmm, just get a scotia AMEX and buy gift card only for shopping from Sobeys/Safeway. Then everything is basically 4% cash back. I should think this out earlier, it opens a new door for the credit card loophole. The Scotia Amex is preferred since it can go up to 50k purchase for 4% points back. Free vacation for the whole family every year.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Or Cobalt Amex, for 5%. Only issue is that you can't use it at any of the Loblaws group stores (and depending on where you live, this could be a dealbreaker).