[OP]
May 8, 2018
56 posts
19 upvotes

Thule Chariot Models

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a Thule Chariot. I will use it for jogging, biking and likely cross country skiing.

I was looking at a Sport model I found for 30 % off. But I keep going to back to the Cheetah which is so much cheaper. Any thoughts?

I am having trouble figuring out if the suspension and reclinable seat or any other features of the more expensive version are worth the expense.

I was going to buy used before COVID but the ones I went to see were expensive, beaten up and had parts missing.

Cheers
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9709 posts
11449 upvotes
Vancouver
We had one when the kids were little. We loved it. We got the double-wide one with leaf spring suspension. Yes it was expensive, but these things hold their value remarkably well; once the kids have outgrown it you can sell it and get most of your money back. If you have the cash now, go for it.
May 12, 2009
792 posts
345 upvotes
We had a double cheetah. We used that thing for YEARS, year-round, with some pretty heavy kids in there - long bikes and runs - and it was still in great shape when we passed it on. My mother now uses it daily for two grandchildren. It didn't have suspension or recline or anything fancy. When the kids are strapped with the shoulder harness they were able to sleep for hours with no problem, especially when they had blankets stuffed around them.
Aug 3, 2017
675 posts
487 upvotes
pimom wrote: We had a double cheetah. We used that thing for YEARS, year-round, with some pretty heavy kids in there - long bikes and runs - and it was still in great shape when we passed it on. My mother now uses it daily for two grandchildren. It didn't have suspension or recline or anything fancy. When the kids are strapped with the shoulder harness they were able to sleep for hours with no problem, especially when they had blankets stuffed around them.
Had a double Cheetah we bought new for our twins (something like $1,400 all in with accessories in 2008). After ~4 solid years of great use, managed to resell it for ~$400 plus ~$100 for the infant slings we sold earlier).

We were then surprised with our third born coming and then purchased a single higher end model off Kijiji. I can’t recall the price, but it was well used and I think around $300-350. I managed about three years use until the kid didn’t want to bike any more. I resold that one for almost as much as we paid.

All in all, we got tremendous use both as a stroller and bicycle trailer. I highly recommend the shopping cart wheels if you plan to use it as more than an outdoor stroller. For travel we found it too bulky and bought umbrella ones for cheap at toys r us.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2467 posts
996 upvotes
Quebec
dolfan1980 wrote: Had a double Cheetah we bought new for our twins (something like $1,400 all in with accessories in 2008). After ~4 solid years of great use, managed to resell it for ~$400 plus ~$100 for the infant slings we sold earlier).

We were then surprised with our third born coming and then purchased a single higher end model off Kijiji. I can’t recall the price, but it was well used and I think around $300-350. I managed about three years use until the kid didn’t want to bike any more. I resold that one for almost as much as we paid.

All in all, we got tremendous use both as a stroller and bicycle trailer. I highly recommend the shopping cart wheels if you plan to use it as more than an outdoor stroller. For travel we found it too bulky and bought umbrella ones for cheap at toys r us.

Question, with your experience, starting at what age can you stop using the 'baby hamac'?
Aug 3, 2017
675 posts
487 upvotes
ratatapa wrote: Question, with your experience, starting at what age can you stop using the 'baby hamac'?
It really depends on how big/hardy the baby is. It has been a while for me. I recall not using them for more than about a year, but I could be wrong. I do recall using blankets at times to fill up some of the empty space and to provide additional stability after taking the slings out.

Sorry I can’t be more definitive, those years went by pretty quick!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1198 posts
964 upvotes
Ottawa
We got a single Sport with both the bike and jogging attachments and love it. The Sport was the highest model at the time, with adjustable suspension, brakes, side panels that remove, sun and rain covers, and a lock for the bike attachment.

We bought it new on a 15% off sale early last year, so it wasn't cheap - something like $1300 taxes in for everything.

The Chariot is super bulky for out and about, though. It takes up our Corolla's trunk. We have an Uppababy Cruz we bought used for general walking around and lugging to the mall, and a Mountain Buggy Nano that we bought new and on sale for around $200 that we absolutely love for air travel.
[OP]
May 8, 2018
56 posts
19 upvotes
I bought a Thule Cross 1 off Amazon for 800 $, the hamac off Agatha for 20 % off and the bike kit off partsengine.ca on sale. Thanks everyone. Expensive but it will be very very very well used.