None
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
843 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough

Ticket after Accident forgiveness claim

Hey guys,

Just need some of your expertise on "Accident Forgiveness" under insurance policies. I came home today to open a letter from my insurance company that my eligibility for a discount has been revoke and my premiums are to raise 22%.

Background
- At fault accident in 2010, accident forgiveness claimed and premiums did not go up from 2010 until now
- Disobey sign conviction late 2014.

Does this sound right? They saw my disobey sign conviction and they took away my accident forgiveness benefit? If so, if I wait the 6 years, does it go down to the rates as if I just had 1 minor?

Thanks!
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20558 posts
9066 upvotes
Toronto
Did you fight the sign conviction ticket?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22381 posts
3255 upvotes
01s0uljah wrote: Hey guys,

Just need some of your expertise on "Accident Forgiveness" under insurance policies. I came home today to open a letter from my insurance company that my eligibility for a discount has been revoke and my premiums are to raise 22%.

Background
- At fault accident in 2010, accident forgiveness claimed and premiums did not go up from 2010 until now
- Disobey sign conviction late 2014.

Does this sound right? They saw my disobey sign conviction and they took away my accident forgiveness benefit? If so, if I wait the 6 years, does it go down to the rates as if I just had 1 minor?

Thanks!
Yikes. Accidents are 6 years and tickets are 3. Though there may be additional discounts for upwards of 10 years accident free.

Which company is this?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32066 posts
19264 upvotes
Toronto
Not much for us 'little people' can do. Their game, their rules !
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
843 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
carmaster wrote: Did you fight the sign conviction ticket?
The ticket was fought down to a disobey sign and the insurance record shows up as a disobey sign.

There's a bit more to this.. Shortly after that I got another ticket speeding 30 and fought down to a 15 over.. but that hasn't hit my insurance yet, but has shown up on my drivers abstract.. I think walking a fine line whether they are going to drop me.. I've been caught in the most unluckiest situations (speed traps before and after on-ramps) and not looking for a lecture.. but some insight on how the insurance company will handle me. I'm currently under my parent's policy which probably makes a difference of it being cheaper.. I'm also switching cars in September which means they mostly likely will pull up another drivers abstract on me..

Thanks you your input guys..
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
843 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
carmaster wrote: Did you fight the sign conviction ticket?
The ticket was fought down to a disobey sign and the insurance record shows up as a disobey sign.

There's a bit more to this.. Shortly after that I got another ticket speeding 30 and fought down to a 15 over.. but that hasn't hit my insurance yet, but has shown up on my drivers abstract.. I think walking a fine line whether they are going to drop me.. I've been caught in the most unluckiest situations (speed traps before and after on-ramps) and not looking for a lecture.. but some insight on how the insurance company will handle me. I'm currently under my parent's policy which probably makes a difference of it being cheaper.. I'm also switching cars in September which means they mostly likely will pull up another drivers abstract on me..

Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Get ready for some deep orifice examination. Don't forget to breathe.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22381 posts
3255 upvotes
01s0uljah wrote: The ticket was fought down to a disobey sign and the insurance record shows up as a disobey sign.

Two minors and a collision, you may be out of luck.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
22% increase means they're letting you off lightly
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
843 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
eldiablo wrote: Get ready for some deep orifice examination. Don't forget to breathe.
You talking about MTO or insurance? Because technically I only have 2 demerit points, unless im misunderstanding..
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22381 posts
3255 upvotes
01s0uljah wrote: You talking about MTO or insurance? Because technically I only have 2 demerit points, unless im misunderstanding..
Which has nothing to do with insurance.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2932 posts
2797 upvotes
North York
01s0uljah wrote: You talking about MTO or insurance? Because technically I only have 2 demerit points, unless im misunderstanding..
Demerit points dont affect your insurance only convictions.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1110 posts
452 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
OP would have lost his conviction free discount. The claim from 2010 would still not be rated against him as long as he is with the same insurer. If he shops around, other insurers will rate the claim from 2010 against his record so it may be difficult to beat his current rates. However it never hurts to shop around.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3172 posts
1069 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
01s0uljah wrote: The ticket was fought down to a disobey sign and the insurance record shows up as a disobey sign.

You'll be lucky to get away without a lecture here.

My reaction is that OP is a poor driver and needs to be penalized to make the roads safer and curb high insurance rates. Rather than claiming s/he has be unlucky to be caught perhaps s/he has been lucky to have avoided being caught on the other occasions.

Really, OP. It's now time to follow the rules of the road.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
843 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
Marzipan wrote: You'll be lucky to get away without a lecture here.

My reaction is that OP is a poor driver and needs to be penalized to make the roads safer and curb high insurance rates. Rather than claiming s/he has be unlucky to be caught perhaps s/he has been lucky to have avoided being caught on the other occasions.

Really, OP. It's now time to follow the rules of the road.
I guess you've never gotten a ticket or accident? I'm not looking to get sympathy here, I was simply asking for opinions on the increase and what may happen later. If they do decide to drop me or jack up rates even more, I'll be taking the local transit, I'll own up to the tickets and accidents..
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2020 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Move to BC, insurance is reasonable there.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18111 posts
9169 upvotes
01s0uljah wrote: I guess you've never gotten a ticket or accident? I'm not looking to get sympathy here, I was simply asking for opinions on the increase and what may happen later. If they do decide to drop me or jack up rates even more, I'll be taking the local transit, I'll own up to the tickets and accidents..
Your idea of "owning up" is pleading your infraction down to something lower than what it was to help you weasel out of a higher fine/more demerits? That's a strange way of owning up to something.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2008
843 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
TrevorK wrote: Your idea of "owning up" is pleading your infraction down to something lower than what it was to help you weasel out of a higher fine/more demerits? That's a strange way of owning up to something.
Do you fight your tickets or just plead guilty and pay the fine on the ticket?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18111 posts
9169 upvotes
01s0uljah wrote: Do you fight your tickets or just plead guilty and pay the fine on the ticket?
If I receive a ticket for something I did, I pay the ticket.

Tickets are not a big surprise - you know enough to know what you are doing wrong and you know what the potential consequences are if you are caught. It's not as if the one and only time someone forgets to signal they get a ticket, you do not always get caught. But when you do, why wouldn't you acknowledge your mistake and accept the consequences. Because you don't get a chocolate bar or bag of chips instead of a monetary fine?