• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 9:21 pm
[OP]
Nov 5, 2018
566 posts
550 upvotes

Ticket for Failure to Provide Renewed Insurance

Hi Guys,

I got a ticket for not providing a copy of my renewed insurance.

If I meet with a prosecutor and show them my valid insurance, will they drop the ticket?
15 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
You should have been given the option to provide the proof that you had valid insurance (not just bought it that day ) to most police offices and they could cancel the ticket.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Ferinthu1 wrote: Hi Guys,

If I meet with a prosecutor and show them my valid insurance, will they drop the ticket?
The cops have the ability to login into the Ontario IVP and check on your vehicle insurance validity. Request an Early Resolution with the Crown. If everything is true, he/she hopefully will let you off.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1556 posts
800 upvotes

I got the same ticket in Mississauga a few months back. I had renewed my insurance but forgot the pink slip. Cop said to go to court and they would drop it. I did ask for early resolution and was given a date. Went to court, met with the prosecutor who asked about why I was stopped (speeding) and why I did not get a speeding ticket (speed was not too high) and if I had any other convictions (none). He agreed to drop the charges after advising me to carry all reqd documents in the future. Case was called in front of the judge, prosecutor advised the judge he was withdrawing the charge as I did have valid insurance, judge agreed and off I went scott free. Entire time was one hour from showing up at the date/time, waiting in line for the prosecutor at the courtroom (20 mins) and waiting for the case to be heard by the judge (20 mins). I did move the date once due to work travel and they agreed.
I might point out that things work smoother if you are polite and apologetic rather than brash and demanding. And off course carry all documents to the court including driving licence, registration and off course your valid insurance which must have been valid the date you got your ticket.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1556 posts
800 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: You should have been given the option to provide the proof that you had valid insurance (not just bought it that day ) to most police offices and they could cancel the ticket.
I do not think they do this anymore. I specifically asked the cop if I could just bring the insurance to the police station or court the next day and he said they had to write the ticket and you have to go to court for resolution. Likely did his ticket writing quota though I am not complaining - this was a easy ticket to get dismissed whereas he could have been tough and given me a speeding ticket as well.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4276 posts
2594 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you're license plate sticker was renewed and not on the plate, or your insurance was renewed but did not have the pink slip. Don't worry. Just get the ticket and go to court. Everything will get dropped. Geez whiz, making it sound like the world is going to end tomorrow. Relax man, there are worse problems and issues than this.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19720 posts
23128 upvotes
GTA

Was your insurance valid and active at the time of the ticket? Did you just forget the pink slip?

I would have logged into in my insurance website and showed him the active status.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5898 posts
5071 upvotes
Oakville, ON
When is that electronic version in your phone supposed to be available in Ontario? Seems like that avoid avoid these types of issues, no?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2079 posts
1380 upvotes
Durham
CanadianLurker wrote: When is that electronic version in your phone supposed to be available in Ontario? Seems like that avoid avoid these types of issues, no?
And open up a can of worms. Provide unlocked phone to cop to take back to his car. Sure you may not have anything to hide but will be more of a hassle.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38213 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kkhan15 wrote: And open up a can of worms. Provide unlocked phone to cop to take back to his car. Sure you may not have anything to hide but will be more of a hassle.
Save it as a background image on the lock screen.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2018
566 posts
550 upvotes
engineered wrote: Was your insurance valid and active at the time of the ticket? Did you just forget the pink slip?

I would have logged into in my insurance website and showed him the active status.
That's correct. I just had an older one. The new one was sitting on the kitchen table at home.

I'm thinking maybe an early resolution with the crown...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38213 posts
24392 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ferinthu1 wrote: That's correct. I just had an older one. The new one was sitting on the kitchen table at home.

You're good to go.
Who's your insurer?
I'm with Coseco and they send a soft copy via email, while the paper copy is mailed out.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19720 posts
23128 upvotes
GTA
Ferinthu1 wrote: That's correct. I just had an older one. The new one was sitting on the kitchen table at home.

They should be lenient on you then.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2018
566 posts
550 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: You're good to go.
Who's your insurer?
I'm with Coseco and they send a soft copy via email, while the paper copy is mailed out.
Pembridge, I go through a broker and don't remember getting a soft copy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7491 posts
2399 upvotes
0 downvotes
i have the app on my phone and have both the soft copy and hard copy in my ownership and manual compartment box, i dont wanna call it glove compartment cus i dont keep gloves in there
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!