Ticketmaster will die?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2020 3:48 am
[OP]
Apr 13, 2017
929 posts
297 upvotes

Ticketmaster will die?

Always hated their fees. With a pause on all live events , will the company will finally crumble?
46 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3274 posts
582 upvotes
Newbury, ON
Youtube concerts killed the live shows.

Nov 11, 2003
230 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
IF this one dies, will be ten new "masters" in the market soon...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14362 posts
2351 upvotes
THIEVES!!

I stopped going to concerts/plays because of their crazy fees.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3926 posts
3464 upvotes
The NORTH
They have a virtual monopoly on tickets and resale of tickets, they are not going anywhere.
Nov 24, 2013
751 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
I too stopped going to concerts because the prices for the good seats are outrageous.

If I have to sit so far back that I can barely see anything, I'll get my concert from YouTube instead
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
4419 posts
1923 upvotes
Vancouver
One of my concerts got postponed, I suspect second one will too...no refunds, waiting for them to reschedule at a later date, but what if this goes on for another year?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1793 posts
251 upvotes
Markham
Love to see ticket master fail.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9314 posts
1971 upvotes
Winnipeg
this should be under the good things from covid thread.....or is this that thread...
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10109 posts
6522 upvotes
GTA, ON
notenoughsleep wrote: One of my concerts got postponed, I suspect second one will too...no refunds, waiting for them to reschedule at a later date, but what if this goes on for another year?
I heard that. No refunds since the show has been postponed and not cancelled. Pure BS IMO. Funny how they tell customers that if they can't make the unknown postponed date (could be over a year from now) that they can always try to resell the ticket on their resale site. Crooks. They're just as bad as the airlines who themselves cancel the flight but no refund, but here's a credit voucher.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9292 posts
1485 upvotes
Victoria
There's multiple things at play. TM sells the tickets and collects a service fee for selling the ticket. Promoters are the ones that guarantee the band a certain level of money, collect the ticket revenue, keep their cut, run the gig, and pay the band. It guess a little messy because there's 2 big promoters in North America. LiveNation and AEG. Livenation owns ticketmaster.

Anyways... ticketmaster just sells the tickets and charges for that. Even with their crooked reselling features, all they do is take a cut. I think TM will be hit hard from the fact that there's not concerts to get service fees from, but they're a big company and probavbly have cash stashed aside to cover their expenses.

I think it's the promoters that are going to have issues. They have a lot of costs. Staff, infrastructure etc... Paying the venues, merchants, all that stuff. I think this is why refunds are currently an issue no one ever expected all events to cancelled at the same time. If they've been taking their cut to pay costs, then the might not have enough to refund call tickets.

It probably gets worse from smaller promoters who have even less cash reserves.

My guess. Somehow TM and the two big promoters absorb whatever's left of smaller players and get bigger.
Aug 6, 2019
20 posts
3 upvotes
i too have stopped going to concerts because of tm's fees. thier monopoly and cost of tickets. when i was a kid i could easily afford to see a favourate band play at a stadium. i dont know what young people do now. even electronic music show can be expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9292 posts
1485 upvotes
Victoria
To best honest when the s/c is $25 on a $250 ticket, the $25 is the least of my problems :) (referring to the 2nd article).

I haven't stopped going to concert's, but I've definitely slowed down. I used to just go. Now it's, do I need to see Metallica for the 6th time? I find myself skipping more and more tours because it costs so much. Add in travel/hotel (which are also skyrocketing) and it gets pretty expensive. I'll go see my favourite band every few years, but outside of that that, it's trying to cross a few remaining ones off the bucket list. Paid a mint to see the Stones in the Seattle last year. Paid slightly less than that to see GNR a few years before that. Was supposed to go see Rage Against the Machine this year. Opted to skip Tool because of how expensive it was (and I've seen them a number of times).

I don't blame bands for doing what their doing. You don't make much money off the actual music any more. You get pennies for streaming and albums barely sell. At the same time they were watching brokers (utilizing websites like Stubhub and Ticketmaster) reselling tickets for huge mark ups. Technically this meant they were undercharging their tickets. Hence the past number of years they've been closing that gap on ticket prices so they make the money instead of scalpers. Bands used to be embarrassed to charge a lot. That's why promoters were selling tickets to brokers for a markup, so the band could save face with lower face value printed on tickets. I think bands care less now.

The thing is, it doesn't seem to be preventing tickets from getting sold. These legacy acts can still sell out arenas and/or stadiums. I'm guessing it's because arena/stadium size Rock bands are waning. Less shows to go to. I wonder if if young folks will do it for the genres of music they like. WIll legacy Hip Hop and Pop stars of today be able to demand big bucks 20 to 30 years from now? Probably.

The live show experience is something you can't pirate. It's how musicians make money, and it's the one thing you can't copy.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4055 posts
856 upvotes
I'm pretty sure their overhead is pretty low